Re: Hi, new here!

I'm not great with self-intros but I'll give it a shot. I'm Lumi and I just joined this site, I recently posted my story A Fool's Wish on here, I got word of this site from another self-publishing site and I snooped around a bit figured that it seems like a great site to post my novel on!

I don't really know a lot about this site so any tips and advice you can share with me will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Royal Road Lumi, let me be the first to welcome you!

I'm sure some vets will pop by soon enough to copy and paste some general advice that's super helpful. But as an equally new user to the site, all I can suggest is to just get out there and engage with the community. Read some work you like the look of, leave a comment for the author, and engage with people on the forums.

There are plenty of interesting discussions, resources, and just general fun to be had around.

I look forward to seeing you around the Royal Road!  peoeyesparkle

Welcome to Royal Road. I'd suggest checking out the FAQ's under Support to learn more about the site. Also adding a link to your story in your signature will help people find it. You can do that here https://www.royalroad.com/account/signature Your signature shows up when you post in the Forums (and click the Display signature box) so being active in the Forums will maximize your story's exposure. Commenting on any stories you read is another good way to interact with the community. Cinn the Goddess of Good Advice will be along shortly to pile on even more information. Hope you enjoy being here and that your work attracts many readers. Good luck.

Welcome! I also found RR via a similar site.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too. It's open source so you guys can copy paste it into other intro threads when I'm late to the party. 😅 Also, frankly, who says I know what I'm talking about?

Hm, maybe I should just make a beginner's guide forum thread and link to that. Then others can jump on and add their wisdom too. 🤔

Anyway..!
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • As you suggested; don't dump any backlog all at once. Really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximum exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
  • Not sure if you need covers, but here's Artsymarsy's guide to "Covers Without Stolen Artwork". There's some good resources in it. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/107777 Also check out the art sub-forum as sometimes there's people offering covers.
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience when it's ready to share.

Welcome to RR! I hope your story's 'A Fool's Wish' finds a readership here. I'm fairly new here myself (a few weeks old). I finding a lot of fun in supporting new authors in the new release section with a few encouraging words. I've found a few hidden gems in the bunch which I was all to happy to follow and upvote. Remember following stories goes a long way to help out your fellow writers - it's part of what makes this place a great community.

The only real advice I can offer is be patient, but be consistent with your writing - post on a regular schedule after the first 10 days of posting. Readers trust reliable writers over the quality of the writing. That sounds so weird to say - but as my spouse tells me, he enjoys light reading before bed, where I enjoy heavy thoughtful content. That just means everyone has their preferences, and the posting schedule should match your ability to produce consistent quality of your writing style and story.

Best of luck.

Welcome to Royal Road. It is always nice to see another author here. I wish for you the best of luck!

And my advice to you is to be engaged with your readers and your fellow authors. Everyone here is very nice. They are helpful and truly have your best interests at heart.

So have fun, and I hope to see you around! 😸