Re: The wanderin inn wandering out of royal road

It is my understanding that one of royal roads major stories just left because it simply was a hassle uploading here, how many authors gave up on their stories for the same reason I wonder? Stories that never came into fruition solely because it was a hassle and they didn't have the energy to deal with the text formatting of royal road? Why is that even an issue still? People have been asking to be able to import docs in herr and to ease the form of posting chapters here for at least 2 years, is it a problem with the core programming of the website? Why is it still an issue? 

I'm yet to upload my own story here. So I may be coming in on a backfoot with this.

But does this mean you need to fully format your entire chapter, after pasting it into Royal Road?

If so, that's just simply unacceptable. Almost every major website has the capacity to pick up on formatting from Google docs/Word docs. Even programs like Open Office and other free word processors can translate their formatting to major websites.

I can't imagine a reason why a site that focuses on the sharing of stories hasn't given a little effort into optimizing format pasting.

Ultimately, it's obviously not the worst issue ever. It just requires you to go through thousands of words again whilst also having the orginal document up beside it, trying to pick out all of the italics, spaces, section breaks, and so on. 

I can see why that would get annoying.

Ratmin Wrote: But does this mean you need to fully format your entire chapter, after pasting it into Royal Road?

No. I just copy and paste directly from Scrivener and it works perfectly. All I have to add is scene breaks. (It adds an extra blank line for scene breaks, but I prefer something a little more obvious.)

As far as I know, Word works similarly.

I think what I've heard in past threads is that problems might occur if you try to paste in certain types of formatting that wouldn't typically appear in a traditional novel, but I don't remember the details. But standard book formatting--paragraphs, italics, smart quotes, emdashes--all works as expected. (I don't change fonts or font sizes, so I can't say how well those transfer, but novels don't typically change fonts anyway.)

Little Wrote: I edit on google docs, and because I always add a space between paragraphs there, on RR I would need to delete all those spaces again, which is a slight hassle but not a huge problem.

Rather than manually adding extra line breaks in Google Docs, you should set it to just automatically display some blank space after the end of each paragraph. That way, when you copy it to RR (or anywhere else), it works as expected. The same thing is true if you like to see paragraph indents while you're typing. You don't want to add those in manually. Just like blank lines between paragraphs, you always want your editor to control whether to display those or not.

Ratmin Wrote: I'm yet to upload my own story here. So I may be coming in on a backfoot with this.

But does this mean you need to fully format your entire chapter, after pasting it into Royal Road?

If so, that's just simply unacceptable. Almost every major website has the capacity to pick up on formatting from Google docs/Word docs. Even programs like Open Office and other free word processors can translate their formatting to major websites.

I can't imagine a reason why a site that focuses on the sharing of stories hasn't given a little effort into optimizing format pasting.

Ultimately, it's obviously not the worst issue ever. It just requires you to go through thousands of words again whilst also having the orginal document up beside it, trying to pick out all of the italics, spaces, section breaks, and so on. 

I can see why that would get annoying.

I literaly use google doc's defualt formatting for my stories, it automatically formats for you.

YuanMi Wrote:
Mad Wrote:
Sleepingdragoon Wrote: Uhh...who the heck uses RoyalRoad to write their stories!?
Several people, apparently. I asked once lol

I used to, until I hit the backspace on my mouse by accident that one time and lost an entire chapter.

Has the Wandering Inn moved to another site?
Like a year ago, but not as much as moved as jusy left royal road, the author only posts on his official website now

Little Wrote: I edit on google docs, and because I always add a space between paragraphs there, on RR I would need to delete all those spaces again, which is a slight hassle but not a huge problem.

Actually- google docs are the ones adding spaces. You can fix that by changing the Line spacing options.. i think it was prevent single lines (you will see if its the right option, as when you select it it will now show you the same amount of spaces as RR or SH)