This thread is locked

Re: Is it better to add titles to your chapters? Or not?

meteoraguy Wrote: The spoiler argument is stupid. The author can pick a chapter title that doesn't spoil anything. It can even add intrigue. One author's spoiler is another author's foreshadowing.

I have chapter title's like "Mother's Daughter", "The Night Visitor" and "Exile".  They're representative of what happens in their respective chapters.

Did I spoil anything?
I agree, there are many ways to create an effective title. Mine covers the entire series in fragments. However, it isn’t so simple to figure out. The way I conduct it, is that the titles expands more about the main. On top of this, it represents what happens in the current chapter, as well as every single one within the book. Most represents what happens in the entire series, but reading the information is of necessity to connect this. More over, you got to read the summary as well as the verse on the book cover to completely understand the story.

This is done in a way that isn’t spoiling what is to come, while also adding onto the depth of the story. As far as I can tell, haven’t met, or seen a single person that would go to this kind of length to tell their tale. Only very few had ever completely understood my works, and those few have my respect. It made all of that effort worth it.

meteoraguy Wrote: Exactly! It's definitely possible to provide clues in chapter titles that only make sense in hindsight. That's not spoiling the plot at all. It's genius.

I think having your chapter titles as fragments of the story can be very rewarding, at least when readers take the time to put pieces together to complete the bigger picture.

I feel like that kind of storytelling is lost on a lot of readers, though. And it's a shame.
Yeah, it is generally lost today. You see, based on how the majority of the market it is. They aren’t like those from let’s say a hundred or two hundred years ago. Hell, they are not like those from 20 to 50 years ago. Typically, the consumer base has been given a certain quality, that it does not matter if effort is put into it or not. They are accustomed to easily digestible works, less complex, the better it is for them. 

However, those like myself that like to push the boundary, it is difficult to find those who are searching for works that goes deep. Though, I did manage to find that base. 

Also, I did change some titles recently as well. This made it more in line with my vision, and added a bit more for readers to figure out. Naturally, it falls in line with everything else. When I make one change, I ensure it lines up in accordance to everything else in my trilogy. This goes for rewrites as well, it can be a difficult process, but a very rewarding outcome.

I like to add chapter titles, but tbh it’s more for my own sanity. It helps keep me organized and if I need to reference something in a past chapter the titles help me remember where it is. I also just think they’re fun to come up with. I don’t know that they’re really a necessity in terms of attracting readers, but they definitely can’t hurt. I think on a site like this, which shows the chapter title as you’re scrolling through the newest releases, chapter titles might give a slight boost in piquing someone’s interest. 

TL;DR: They’re not really a necessity, but they’re fun and might give you a slight advantage, so why not add them? DrakanThink 

Like others had mentioned, it is good to put a title for writer/reader reference because the human brain doesn't relate to numbers well.

Secondly, it could add to the chapter itself by using misleading titles or sarcasm. This can become something that hooks the reader.

Thirdly, the title will reduce the chance of filler chapters, chapters that don't add anything to the overall plot. If you find it hard to put a title then maybe the chapter is not needed or boring, plot problem, etc.

Titles help to break up your story into sections and entice readers with a teaser to what occurs. It's also much better for SEO and random searches finding your book.

Chapter 7. - Only picks up 7 really.
Chapter 7: The War of Paladins. - Will pick up 7, war, and paladins, when using search engines.

Aside from that, I generally find it looks nicer and more professional than just sequential numbers.

Edge Wrote:
Bird Wrote: Personally I am fine with either, but I’m curious about what you guys think. As readers and authors, is it worth it to add titles to chapters or is it a waste of time?
There are several reasons why having a proper title is a good idea.

1. Professionalism.

It shows that the author took the time and care to even go that far, as well as solidifying each end of the story.

While we are debating using proper chapter titles and are open to it. This is a hard no. Having 'Chapter #' is under no stretch of the imagination unprofessional. In fact, there are people who find chapter titles unprofessional and instead prefer to stick with 'Chapter #'

It has everything to do with personal taste and nothing to do with professionalism.

Vivian Wrote: While we are debating using proper chapter titles and are open to it. This is a hard no. Having 'Chapter #' is under no stretch of the imagination unprofessional. In fact, there are people who find chapter titles unprofessional and instead prefer to stick with 'Chapter #'

It has everything to do with personal taste and nothing to do with professionalism.
Please, if you are not answering everything as a whole, do not waste my time by cherry picking. It is very annoying, not to be rude or anything. Secondly, I wasn’t pushing it as a fact. Throughout life, when you’re opening books, whether it be fiction or non-fiction, most will have chapter titles. These serves as an easily identifiable point, rather than skimming numbers, which can be harder to identify, even in an index. It is much easier to scan by name, and pinpoint where one needs to be. 

This in itself is professional, it does not hinder the reader, and provides an easily identifiable method. Now as for books itself, this might not be an issue, if a bookmark is used. Providing it is a physical copy. On another hand, when backtracking, or after finishing it. It is less likely to remember number, rather than a name. Names has something to connect towards, meaning even if you are looking through it, it is more likely to stop once reading a certain one. When it comes to numbers, it would be more needed to read a bit into the part, before determining if this is what is being searched for. 

Personal preference it may be, but this choice isn’t professional, and can serve to hinder the reader. In combination, a number then a title is used. This method works if one is aware specifically of a section they wish to be in, but at that point. Without having to check what is within the range, a name is related, serving more as a quick refresher. In short, one saves time connecting through names, rather than numbers. However, numbers are used in combination to organize it some more. 

A number on its own does little, a name on its own is more likely to attract attention. Both in combination maximizes the rate of remembering, and engagement. 

It is a choice as you said, and a personal choice, but that choice wouldn’t be considered professional. There is a fine line between what a choice is, and does, and how it is perceived. Also, I am not debating anything here. Not interested, just stating a point. Now please, don’t badger me. 

Edge Wrote:
Vivian Wrote: While we are debating using proper chapter titles and are open to it. This is a hard no. Having 'Chapter #' is under no stretch of the imagination unprofessional. In fact, there are people who find chapter titles unprofessional and instead prefer to stick with 'Chapter #'

Please, if you are not answering everything as a whole, do not waste my time by cherry picking. It is very annoying, not to be rude or anything. Secondly, I wasn’t pushing it as a fact. Throughout life, when you’re opening books, whether it be fiction or non-fiction, most will have chapter titles. These serves as an easily identifiable point, rather than skimming numbers, which can be harder to identify, even in an index. It is much easier to scan by name, and pinpoint where one needs to be. 

This in itself is professional, it does not hinder the reader, and provides an easily identifiable method. Now as for books itself, this might not be an issue, if a bookmark is used. Providing it is a physical copy. On another hand, when backtracking, or after ---
We're not going to go through every single point you made and add in fluff basically saying we agree just because you find it annoying. That's the one point we had stuff to talk about, so that's what we responded to.

Nor is this much of a debate. We were stating our point just like you were stating your point. That's all. There's no need to get defensive or rude over this with your opening and ending.

Yes, we agree that there are benefits to naming your chapters. What you said implied that not naming chapters was unprofessional. That's the sole reason why we commented on it.

Vivian Wrote: We're not going to go through every single point you made and add in fluff basically saying we agree just because you find it annoying. That's the one point we had stuff to talk about, so that's what we responded to.

Nor is this much of a debate. We were stating our point just like you were stating your point. That's all. There's no need to get defensive or rude over this with your opening and ending.

Yes, we agree that there are benefits to naming your chapters. What you said implied that not naming chapters was unprofessional. That's the sole reason why we commented on it.
Look, I am not here to get into any debate as I stated, rather I just reported you. Since I clearly stated, not to badger me. Sorry, I don’t like to do this. Not in a good mood, and have very little tolerance.

Edge Wrote: Look, I am not here to get into any debate as I stated, rather I just reported you. Since I clearly stated, not to badger me. Sorry, I don’t like to do this. Not in a good mood, and have very little tolerance.
Report me for what? Having the audacity to respond to you on a public forum after you directly quoted me? If you don't want to be responded to, then don't keep responding and just step away if it's bothering you. It's as simple as that.
This thread is locked