Re: Anyone wanna share their writer L moments?

Because I'm a masochist, I occasionally check out more popular titles in my genre. I pretend it's market research. But it's torture.

My biggest L moment is when I realized I should have named my story "Eldritch" or at least found a way to include it in the title. If I played a drinking game based on how many horror stories on this site have "Eldritch" in the title, I would be drunk before I managed to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. And my story is literally set in Lovecraft Country, so it should have been a no-brainer.

Go ahead and put the L on my forehead.

I keep coming up with cool names and plotlines, then realizing after the fact that someone else already used them  DrakanSigh  Usually I don't mind, but I realized the other day that a minor character of mine shares a name with a minor character from The Hunger Games, which makes me kind of nervous because I also write YA dystopia with a vaguely Roman twist. I'm always anxious that someone's gonna be like "YOU COPIED [X]! YOU COPIED [Y]!" 

Wren Wrote: I keep coming up with cool names and plotlines, then realizing after the fact that someone else already used them  DrakanSigh  Usually I don't mind, but I realized the other day that a minor character of mine shares a name with a minor character from The Hunger Games, which makes me kind of nervous because I also write YA dystopia with a vaguely Roman twist. I'm always anxious that someone's gonna be like "YOU COPIED [X]! YOU COPIED [Y]!"

Say it's a tribute!

My dropped web serial Defenders of Fantasmyth. It wasn't that bad a story, but it had some problems:

- Poor upload schedule COMBINED with too many meandering chapters
- Enough POVs to make my story look like a George R. R. Martin wannabe, leaving the story a little unfocused
- The main character’s quirk of making wordplay falling so flat I ended up not getting some of her jokes on a re-read
- Constricting the plot in a set number of 3000-word chapters without planning out the whole story
- Allusions to fourth wall breaking which were kinda cringe

And here's the kicker: the story was loosely inspired by ideas for a fanfic story that I decided was a waste of time to write. Now I'm having fun writing that fanfic story, and although I've only posted one chapter so far (on sites other than Royal Road), it already does better than Defenders of Fantasmyth in terms of both quality and stats. I've come full circle!

It’s hilarious, and I’m all for it.

My earliest attempt at writing was fiction for an TTRPG world, a zombie campaign system back before The Walking Dead was on TV or really that well known. (Bad when the d20 system had first come out, it was that long ago)

I had a horse named Pancho through half the book.

Then the main character meets a guy named Paco, based off of the player character of a fan of the game who had won a contest to have his character featured.

Well, everything is going good, till the shootout.

Pancho (the horse) stands up and fires a shotgun.

Paco (the human) ignores everything and continues to much on the horse feed in the feed bag on his nose.

Three passes of editing didn't catch it. Two years of sales didn't catch it. It wasn't caught until the SECOND printing, when someone posted on the company forums about it.

My wife STILL makes fun of me for it.

Ralts Wrote: My earliest attempt at writing was fiction for an TTRPG world, a zombie campaign system back before The Walking Dead was on TV or really that well known. (Bad when the d20 system had first come out, it was that long ago)

I had a horse named Pancho through half the book.

Then the main character meets a guy named Paco, based off of the player character of a fan of the game who had won a contest to have his character featured.

Well, everything is going good, till the shootout.

Pancho (the horse) stands up and fires a shotgun.

Paco (the human) ignores everything and continues to much on the horse feed in the feed bag on his nose.

Three passes of editing didn't catch it. Two years of sales didn't catch it. It wasn't caught until the SECOND printing, when someone posted on the company forums about it.

My wife STILL makes fun of me for it.

This is incredible. This is so incredible I might even consider if a W. 

The series I’m writing is about a transition to post scarcity economy, with a hefty helping of dystopia during the transition. 

I originally finished the first arc back in 2018, and finished a rough draft of the second arc by the end of 2019. 

The third arc, which I actually decided I wanted to publish second, centers around a cop dealing with the changing circumstances. He’s basically an anti-villain character, and I was writing about how cultural changes led to disruptions and discontent, and local authorities responded by cracking down, which just fueled the cycle. 

The series is set in the Midwest. Mainly Minnesota. A good half the book involves riots, crackdowns, and outright terrorism in response to crackdowns.

And then the George Floyd protests started and I just couldn’t continue writing. 

EnhancedBeing  , you know I had the similar ocasion in my life, related to the USA .  I had to write a journalistic article for an American website at work. But this had to be done in an American manner, so that the reader would not understand that he was not writing a local. That means, I had to use American expressions, the style of conversation, and the most difficult thing is the style of writing. It's a luck, that I found this service https://www.scribbr.com/, they helped me edit the text, making  it more "American" )) I didn't think there would be a problem, but it turned out that was huge difficult, I acted like a spy))

Oh my goodness. This is so embarrassing.

So I have a location in my book called "The Deep Woad," basically an ancient forest where the elves live.

The problem with that location, is that "woad" is not a synonym for forest. In fact, I have been saying that the elves live in a deep flowering plant that is in the cabbage family. I have not caught this for nearly a month and a half.  

They live in the deep cabbage. 

L.

On the bright side, there is a synonym for forest starting with a "w", which is "weald," so fortunately I won't be stuck in the cabbage too long.