Re: Writer Here! Trying to get a Rise! (Lol)

I've been posting for about a month and never got a chance to introduce myself. I think this is a neat thread so here I am. 

I write a LitRPG story that's taken on a life of its own. It was just supposed to be a few chapters of smut to get a rise out myself and maybe a few others. I have no idea if the smutty chapters do that in my fiction. I just know that I wound up writing about more than that. 

The story has gone where it wants. 

Set in alternate Italy during the Italian Wars leading up to the Renaissance, a soul from our world is reborn as a half demon cambion. He has to survive even though people want to kill him.

Add a succubus who is trying to get back control of the political landscape, a red mage who wants to rebuild the Roman Empire, and ... we'll see what happens.

I hope you check out Re: Now I'm a Demon, So What?  It's a book with a terrible title, decent writing, and a few indecent moments. Let me know if you happen by. We can be friends.

AlexaLee Wrote: Welcome to the thread! As a writer, I've found stories often go where they want to go but it's fun to just follow along and see where they end! 

Make sure you get your story added to your signature so that people can find it easier! Someone (probably Cinn) will be along soon to give you even more advice!

Thanks for the tip! I figured out how to add my signature. 

Welcome! Smut or no smut, I've also found that stories go where they wanna go. Though I have to have at least a vague roadmap of important plot points otherwise I meander aimlessly and indefinitely. 😅

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
  • Writing a fiction is a lot of work. So don't be disheartened if you hit a block or stumble. If there's specific questions that are getting in your way, ask away in the forums. A lot of projects never see completion, so don't beat yourself up if that happens. It's all experience and there's only one way to get it. So write what you enjoy.
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.