Re: Do you write different novels at the same time

I'm having too many damn novel ideas in my head. But I know if I start on all of them, I would just spread myself too thin and  would not even produce the one story I plan to stick with.  Like, it has happened before. I've got over 25 stories I had wrote like 10k words in but have stopped.
Now, I'm trying to discipline my mind to concentrate on only one.  Maybe all those ideas are nothing more than one of them mind distractions.
So, what do you do?  Do you do the same, just try to stick to one story?  Or do you work on multiple projects simultaneously?

My thoughts are that its vitally important to be able to finish projects. For some people, working on multiple projects at once keeps them motivated and interested, but it should serve your ability to complete a project and develop your skills. Personally, my drive and writing capacity limits me to one project, even if I have ideas for others floating around. But if I could muster the dicipline to split efforts effectively between more than one project, I totally would.

I'm pretty new to the world of fiction writing, and this response may be more based on my personality than anything else, but I find it hard to be truly invested in more than one thing at a time. I am most motivated when I get really excited about one topic, and trying to invest in too many other things can cause me to lose the passion that was driving me to complete my first task, and use up time I could have spent planning and thinking about how to write one story.

I'm the same way. I'm great at starting stories, but not so great at finishing them.  Part of the reason I decided to post a story on this site was so that I would force myself to work on one project to completion. If there's people reading it, then that makes me want to stay invested. 

So I discipline myself to churn out 1k+ words daily for my RR project (I usually do more than that though) and then if I still feel like writing more, I work on another project. I actually have 3 stories I'm working on concurrently, but I prioritize the RR story.

I dunno if that helps at all, I'm sure most people would tell you not to spread yourself too thin, but if you can do it and you want to do it; go for it. Just try to set some goals and prioritize your work and you'll be fine.

I'm currently writing two stories at once and I'll be honest, it is difficult. The way I've managed it is by making one the priority and spending most of my time on that and then whenever I finish my goal word count/chapter count for the day, I'll work on the other one. 

I stick to a strict posting schedule too that helps. I post chapters of For Irision Monday, Wednesday and Friday (with the occasional bonus chapter on Sundays) and a chapter of Thick as Thieves every Saturday. This means that I have a goal to hit each week and I stay on track! I'm not sure how I'd do it if I decided to start posting another book but I'd probably drop down to posting chapters of For Irision only once or twice a week!

I would suggest for now that you focus on one story and maybe try to casually jot down some ideas for your other story. If you find that you have enough time to work on both and you aren't struggling to keep up or losing interest in either, then go for it!

I would LOVE to be able to write different novels at the same time but I would find it very difficult. I'm nearly finished writing my third volume of 5 but I have two other projects that I'm kinda loosely planning out as well. Even then it's difficult to fully get involved in them while my head is still in HoTC. 
All I can do is try to get as much of a 'plan' down so that when I return to them, I have something I can work from. 

There was a user called LimeLover who used to be very active on the forums who seemed to have multiple projects on the go, like I think more than 3 iirc! 

Only when I have too. I can work on three, however, in that I mean, editing one, writing another, and planning one. They all have to be in different phases. I can't start them all at the same time and the first project needs to be half-way done before I'll take on another. However, one project will always be the priority project. Meaning the one in planning, and the one currently being written will be dropped all for the one currently closest to completion.

From what I learned over  the years, working on multiple projects will just slow you down. The more you can't handle working on multiple stories, the less productive you become. It's better to learn as a writer to just work on one novel at a time.

Theo Wrote: I'm the same way. I'm great at starting stories, but not so great at finishing them.  Part of the reason I decided to post a story on this site was so that I would force myself to work on one project to completion. If there's people reading it, then that makes me want to stay invested. 

So I discipline myself to churn out 1k+ words daily for my RR project (I usually do more than that though) and then if I still feel like writing more, I work on another project. I actually have 3 stories I'm working on concurrently, but I prioritize the RR story.

I dunno if that helps at all, I'm sure most people would tell you not to spread yourself too thin, but if you can do it and you want to do it; go for it. Just try to set some goals and prioritize your work and you'll be fine.

Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense.  I like that idea about writing x amount of words for your main story and then using other free time for whatever other stuff is inside your head.  That's a sensible balance.  Thanks!!

All the time! Right now, I have 6 different writing projects going at the same time (most of them series). Three have been set aside at the moment as they are progressing rather slowly, but the other three I am actively writing on. I also have a many more ideas waiting in the wings until I'm closer to finish one of my current ones. I keep a writing journal to record all my ideas, story notes, etc., but I also keep separate files of notes and research for each writing project. If I hit a spot where one story sort of stalls and I need to think about for a bit on how I'm going to get passed it, then I go and work on one (or both) of my other active stories and come back to that one later.

Everyone is different. Personally, I do best with 2 to 3 projects on the go all at once, and have no trouble staying deeply invested in them. If I hot a snag on one, instead of fretting over it I switch to a different one. By the time I come back to the first one, some part of my brain has untangled the snag and I can continue from there. It works better for me than trying to force it and gradually losing interest. That said, I do not release anything one chapter at a time - I don't share anything until I have a complete novel or arc/volume.

Spacerin Wrote: So, what do you do?  Do you do the same, just try to stick to one story?  Or do you work on multiple projects simultaneously?
I also have too many stories, but only a dozen or so, in various states of completion. What I have done is learned to write episodically, rather than epically.

When you write epically, you are trying to finish this grand 100,000 word story with various subplots and character building scenes mixed in along the way. if you complete only half or a quarter of the story -- or even less! -- it goes nowhere.

But! If you write episodically, you can finish off a subplot and come to a conclusive scene after only 10,000 or 25,000 words -- and again! even less! 

Think of a TV show instead of a movie. An epic novel is this long movie, running on for quite a some time, all to get to a single conclusion. But if you think of your writing as a TV show, then every half hour to one hour the show comes to a conclusion of some sort. There very likely is an overarcing plot to the series, where each episode builds on the prior ones, but each episode does come to a conclusion.

In the story I'm posting on Royal Road, called DOTS, I have split up the tale into seven Light Novels, each of about 25,000 words. Each of them come to a conclusion of sorts, and they all build toward the final scene, to be presented in the last book. If I were to stop writing DOTS at the end of one of these books to work on another story, I could still pick it up at a later date and continue. Two other of my stories read like hour-long TV shows, where the plot of each episode starts and ends after six or seven chapters, and then a new plot begins. Another story I have reads like a thirty minute anime, where each episode ends after four or five chapters. 

Each overall story will come to a Grand Finale final scene, where what happened in all the previous episodes has a bearing on how the whole story ultimately ends. And when I am done, I will have written a novel-length story.

So if you learn to write episodically instead of epically, you can come to a conclusion of sorts with one story before moving on to work on another. Then on a later date, when you come back to that first story, you won't have so many loose ends to pick up, and subplots that have gone nowhere lying around in it. 😸

I learned early on that I struggle with finishing projects. So I have two on the go that are related to each other. My main Awakening: Prodigy - which is being posted here, and Awakening Fractured Memories which is a collection of short stories that I use to explore ideas, themes, and concepts that help me with my main project. It was particularly useful for learning about the characters I was leading with. Now I seem to be exploring side characters and other themes that may develop as monsters or allies for our heroes. 
I have a ton of ideas too. But I keep an idea journal - specially a dream journal because that's where a lot of my ideas come from - that an flow writing scenes, which can take some weird tangents. I have ideas for stories involving my Warden and my Wanderer - but at this time, it's just logged until I finish Awakening: Prodigy. In a way it's more exciting to think and plan for these other projects, and it motivates me to finish my current project so I can get on with this other idea.

Spacerin Wrote: I'm having too many damn novel ideas in my head. But I know if I start on all of them, I would just spread myself too thin and  would not even produce the one story I plan to stick with.  Like, it has happened before. I've got over 25 stories I had wrote like 10k words in but have stopped.
Now, I'm trying to discipline my mind to concentrate on only one.  Maybe all those ideas are nothing more than one of them mind distractions.
So, what do you do?  Do you do the same, just try to stick to one story?  Or do you work on multiple projects simultaneously?
I deal with this constantly, my brain is way too active lol. So I try to officially work on and release only one fiction at a time, but I tinker around and write stuff in my downtime just to get the feeling out of my system. And who knows maybe if one of those side-works really starts to look good it could be the next main project! But that's just the way I do it. :P

ArDeeBurger Wrote:
Spacerin Wrote: So, what do you do?  Do you do the same, just try to stick to one story?  Or do you work on multiple projects simultaneously?
I also have too many stories, but only a dozen or so, in various states of completion. What I have done is learned to write episodically, rather than epically.

When you write epically, you are trying to finish this grand 100,000 word story with various subplots and character building scenes mixed in along the way. if you complete only half or a quarter of the story -- or even less! -- it goes nowhere.

But! If you write episodically, you can finish off a subplot and come to a conclusive scene after only 10,000 or 25,000 words -- and again! even less! 

Think of a TV show instead of a movie. An epic novel is this long movie, running on for quite a some time, all to get to a single conclusion. But if you think of your writing as a TV show, then every half hour to one hour the show comes to a conclusion of some sort. There very likely is an overarcing plot to the series, where each episode builds on the prior ones, but each episode does come to a conclusion.

In the story I'm posting on Royal Road, called DOTS, I have split up the tale into seven Light Novels, each of about 25,000 words. Each of them come to a conclusion of sorts, and they all build toward the final scene, to be presented in the last book. If I were to stop writing DOTS at the end of one of these books to work on another story, I could still pick it up at a later date and continue. Two other of my stories read like hour-long TV shows, where the plot of each episode starts and ends after six or seven chapters, and then a new plot begins. Another story I have reads like a thirty minute anime, where each episode ends after four or five chapters. 

Each overall story will come to a Grand Finale final scene, where what happened in all the previous episodes has a bearing on how the whole story ultimately ends. And when I am done, I will have written a novel-length story.

So if you learn to write episodically instead of epically, you can come to a conclusion of sorts with one story before moving on to work on another. Then on a later date, when you come back to that first story, you won't have so many loose ends to pick up, and subplots that have gone nowhere lying around in it. 😸
Wow this is an amazing way to think about it! I thought of something like this before but figured It would go no where lol. Nice to see someone has had the idea and really done something with it! 

I have so many story ideas, but I couldn't write more than one at the same time. I don't know where I would get the time or the energy for that. But every time a new idea pops into my mind, I never censor anything but just write everything down for later when I'm done with my current story. By that time I have a box full of fantastic (and not so fantastic) story ideas from which to choose. I think that if the story idea is good, it doesn't matter if I pick it up now or 6 months from now, it will still make me want to write it :)

Hamavery64 Wrote: Wow this is an amazing way to think about it! I thought of something like this before but figured It would go no where lol. Nice to see someone has had the idea and really done something with it!
Why thank you! I have found a way to write a story, and it has worked well. You see, for me the problem I had -- before learning to write episodically -- is that for my stories I had a great ending and I had a great beginning, and some scenes in the middle that lended themselves to character development, but I couldn't figure out how to connect them together.

Then I started writing episodically instead of epically. And it has worked wonders for me. 😸