Re: Greetings and Good Tidings

Hello everybody! I was turned onto this website by a friend who is an active reader and reviewer here. After poking around, I realized how cool it is, and was a little shocked I had never heard of it before. I am looking forward to reading some fresh content from new authors and genres, and sharing some of my own work as I polish it.

I submitted my first piece, a sword and sandals short, "Beneath the Broken Towers," today, and hope you check it out if it gets approved. I'm just getting back into writing after several years of time off. In the meantime, I have been DMing for a fairly stable group of D&D players, which has taught me tons about story structure and character development, not to mention incorporating feedback in narratives.

In the mean time, if you have recommendations for sword and sandals fantasy here on the site, be it "regular" prose, LitRPG, or whatever, I'd be happy to take some recommendations. I don't have much experience with LitRPG, but that's mostly down to a lack of exposure, rathe than a lack of interest. In general I dig grim and high fantasy both, but really like "traditional" heroes in the vein of Gilgamesh, Achilles, Beowulf, and Odysseus (particularly Odysseus; what a bamf). Conan is one of my favorites, too. So, yeah if you've got recommendations I'd be happy to check them out.

Glad to meet you,
L.R. Knight

Welcome! Hopefully your DM skills will have kept you in practise, they share a lot of the same skills with writing, I think. If not I'm sure you'll soon get back into the swing of writing.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up. It's why some people put their short stories into a collection rather than individual fictions.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Welcome to Royal Road. It is always nice to see another author here. I wish for you the best of luck!

If you'd like to read a little ditty about Irish mythology, I wrote a poem about the Fir Bolg, and how Sreng defeated Nuada. It's just a bit of silly I wrote on a whim, posted as my current Biography here on Royal Road. I put my poems in my Biography, changing them from time to time, as Royal Road's current format does not support books of poetry.

You can reach this little gem by clicking on my angelic face over to the left. I hope to see you there, and around other parts herein as well.

😸

Cinn Wrote: Welcome! Hopefully your DM skills will have kept you in practise, they share a lot of the same skills with writing, I think. If not I'm sure you'll soon get back into the swing of writing.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up. It's why some people put their short stories into a collection rather than individual fictions.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Awesome, thank you for the recommendations!

ArDeeBurger Wrote: Welcome to Royal Road. It is always nice to see anothr author here. I wish for you the best of luck!

If you'd like to read a little ditty about Irish mythology, I wrote a poem about the Fir Bolg, and how Sreng defeated Nuada. It's just a bit of silly I wrote on a whim, posted as my current Biography here on Royal Road. I put my poems in my Biography, changing them from time to time, as Royal Road's current format does not support books of poetry.

You can reach this little gem by clicking on my angelic face over to the left. I hope to see you there, and around other parts herein as well.

I'm always down for mythology. I will check it out!

Welcome to Royal Road. Lots of other D&D types here as well. Just seems gaming and writing go hand in hand. To learn more about the site, check out the FAQ's under Support. Also being active in the Forums and commenting on stories you read are great ways to interact with the community.

A story I'd recommend is https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/34777/hilda-finds-a-home It's a quite clever and funny D&D type story.

Hope you enjoy being here and that your work attracts many readers. Good luck.

Thanks for the kind welcomes! The more I've poked around, the more fun this place seems for writers and readers both.

I'll check out Hilda Finds a home; the first chapter so far has been fun. 

For those who asked, the first two 'chapters' of my short fiction, "Beneath the Broken Tower" are now available. I scheduled parts 3 and 4 to publish automatically tomorrow and the day after (Saturday and Sunday) per the FAQ recommendations of regularity but spread out to hopefully appeal to different time zones.

You can read it here, or I guess you could click the image in my signature, which now has the cover image.

Enjoy!

Welcome to Royal Road!

Since you like Odysseus, you might like Kairos: A Greek Myth LitRPG; which combines a pirate/raider rogue-type with LitRPG mechanics in a world inspired by Greek myth. 

A Journey of Black and Red is a story of a vampire that reminds me a little of the world that old Conan stories portray, though the MC is female and is little more long-term focused, while still not forgetting to enjoy life when she can.

Azarinth Healer's MC is a little more Conan-like in that (while she is also a female) she enjoys life, likes fighting and can take a beating while being a bit of a free spirit and going on adventures where she feels like. Also one of the more popular LitRPGs on the site. 

The Iron Teeth: A Goblin's Tale is a rather interesting completed story from the viewpoint of a goblin. Can't really say why, but it reminds me a little of Beowulf. Even though the protagonists are pretty different, they both are heroes in their own mind, are not shy of telling others their great deeds (though YMMV in how great you think those deeds actually are), and value strength and courage. 

Anyways, hope you are doing well and that you enjoy your time here!