Re: Any decent sites similar to Royal Road?

This question is more geared towards other writers but if anyone has any information at all feel free to speak up. I'm working on my latest novel idea and I want to use Royal Road to build up a audience, I'm wondering if there are any other sites similar to royal road that I could use for my endeavor.

I was originally planning to use webnovel but after doing some research on their business practices I don't think it would be a good idea (them stealing your ideas, not enforcing copyright, and wanting exclusivity if your story is big enough), I also considered wattapad but apparently if your story isn't geared towards romance then you'll get little to no traffic.

Are there any sites like Royal Road that a fantasy author can use to get some traffic. Looking for sites with huge audiences that cater to many different genres.

Scribblehub. And Spacebattles(though it's a forum).

...that's about it. There's also Tapas, and Inkitt but they're more about short-length chapters and webcomics. 

You can try Fictionpress, Quotev, and wattpad, and webnovel... but in the case of the former three, it'll be writing into the void. And webnovel is well, notorious for all the reasons you described. There are also r/redditserials and r/HFY.

And, of course, you're not restricted to posting on any just one site.

edit: I'm posting my one fiction on SH and SB and I've had more relative luck on Scribble than I did Spacebattles. Give that it's a uber slow-burner space opera, it's kinda hard to give people milage of what they may expect on other platforms, given that I'm writing in a relatively niche genre that's 300k words long.

I'd say I managed to gain a better, short-term following on Scribble than I did even here on Royalroad. It took me about 10-12 months to get around 160 followers here, compared to gaining almost 100 followers on SH in about 4 months since doing daily schedules that lasted for 1 1/2 months. I've had a... moderate amount of comments and reviews here, but it's practically a ghost town over there.

And, well, Spacebattles I did a big fat damn goof on and dumped it all at once in the wrong writing subforum. I published in the actual writing subforum and not the original fiction subforum, so I only had about 13-14 readers there. I've heard it can be a pretty unforgiving place with their critique, but I haven't as much gotten any comments there just yet.

I do okay on Wattpad and I don't write romance. But you're right it took out it's forums so there's no way to gain organic reads. You'll have to DM people directly but it's also a super toxic place. Beyond you're typical hurt feelings because something that was said about the work wasn't what they wanted to hear. It has actual real toxicity - with admins/mods waging flame wars against each other and showing preferential treatment to people who kiss *ss the most. I focused on my readership - so the lack of the forum while it did hit my view rates, I still gain 10 new fans to the work a week.

On the flip side there's fictionpress... I've gained some early traction - but couldn't be bothered to invest a lot of time into it since reader communication is non-existent. Writing for reader feedback and getting crickets despite having high read counts does not super-fans-make.

There's Medium and Deame, and Funreads (i think) but they usually want exclusivity or a high weekly word count. Which I can't do so I passed on them. Though the last two seem to have a high ratio of romance focused works - so another reason why I didn't bother.

Here's my web fiction directory list, frequently updated with any new sites I find. I recommend Royal Road, Tapas, and sometimes Scribble Hub depending on the story.

Tapas is smaller than many of the others, but it's also very much worth it if you're willing to invest time in the site rather than just using it as a mirror. It takes a long time for most stories to break out, unlike Royal Road, but it has a good community.

Thedude3445 Wrote: I recommend Royal Road, Tapas, and sometimes Scribble Hub depending on the story.

Yup. Those are the ones. Writer's Digest tried to host one, which I thought would have held promise, but it seems to not. Wattpad used to be my go-to site, but as A V Dalcourt said, it has destroyed itself.

And anywho I have abandoned all the others sites for the moment, as I am enjoying my time on Royal Road the most.

😻

ArDeeBurger Wrote:
Thedude3445 Wrote: I recommend Royal Road, Tapas, and sometimes Scribble Hub depending on the story.

Yup. Those are the ones. Writer's Digest tried to host one, which I thought would have held promise, but it seems to not. Wattpad used to be my go-to site, but as A V Dalcourt said, it has destroyed itself.

And anywho I have abandoned all the others sites for the moment, as I am enjoying my time on Royal Road the most.

😻

Thanks. I did my research and found 10 sites that I'll be posting to (technically 9 because 1 is patreon for obvious reasons) and I'm going to simu post to all of them and see which one has the most promise.

ArDeeBurger Wrote:
FallenPrinceA Wrote: Thanks. I did my research and found 10 sites that I'll be posting to (technically 9 because 1 is patreon for obvious reasons) and I'm going to simu post to all of them and see which one has the most promise.

Keep us posted on this thread of your results and achievements! It sounds quite enthralling!  ❤😸❤

Will do, my goal is to post to all 9 platforms at once and see which ones I get the best bang for my buck (interactivity and likewise) and then I'll make a thread and explain which platform was the most User Friendly, which one got me the most viewership, reviews, etc. I thought about using reddit but honestly while I met some awesome people on reddit it's kind of toxic.

Oh, and I always recommend keeping a personal site for yourself, even if it's just a wordpress.com blog. I've got my own site that hosts blogs, an About page, and a list of my writings, and I host most of my web serials too. The views are far less than Royal Road or Tapas, but it's OK because it's a place where I can control the design, content, and everything, and don't have to worry about algorithms or making sure the story follows certain content guidelines. It's nice to know that, even in some horrible worst-case scenario where Royal Road goes down for a week due to some big server error, people can still read my books. 

So, I definitely recommend a personal site, especially if you have multiple stories.

As somewhat experienced writer on Wattpad (almost 500k total reads from my three works) I can say that it depends on what genre and tags you're using.

Looking at your work, I can tell it will land on a decent traffic since DxD stories are quite popular. Fanfiction.net is also for you since you will land straight into DxD community that will read your work. Anime community is hardly ever toxic, and I unfortunately was one of people that started rumor about wattpad being extremely toxic place. Just stay away from anything political and fanboys, and you'll be fine

Keep this in mind: You need to have a lot of luck with ranking system to get reads, otherwise you will wait long ass time for readers. Then it's pretty much down the hill afterwards.
As for FFN, everyone sort by new so you will quickly gain reads, but you're limited to fanfictions only. You can post at both or more sites to gain audience, so it's your call

Thedude3445 Wrote: Oh, and I always recommend keeping a personal site for yourself, even if it's just a wordpress.com blog. I've got my own site that hosts blogs, an About page, and a list of my writings, and I host most of my web serials too. The views are far less than Royal Road or Tapas, but it's OK because it's a place where I can control the design, content, and everything, and don't have to worry about algorithms or making sure the story follows certain content guidelines. It's nice to know that, even in some horrible worst-case scenario where Royal Road goes down for a week due to some big server error, people can still read my books. 

So, I definitely recommend a personal site, especially if you have multiple stories.

Thanks, I plan to create my own personal sites one of these days, I was hoping to build a small audience beforehand though.

InfantryTerminator Wrote: As somewhat experienced writer on Wattpad (almost 500k total reads from my three works) I can say that it depends on what genre and tags you're using.

Looking at your work, I can tell it will land on a decent traffic since DxD stories are quite popular. Fanfiction.net is also for you since you will land straight into DxD community that will read your work. Anime community is hardly ever toxic, and I unfortunately was one of people that started rumor about wattpad being extremely toxic place. Just stay away from anything political and fanboys, and you'll be fine

Keep this in mind: You need to have a lot of luck with ranking system to get reads, otherwise you will wait long ass time for readers. Then it's pretty much down the hill afterwards.
As for FFN, everyone sort by new so you will quickly gain reads, but you're limited to fanfictions only. You can post at both or more sites to gain audience, so it's your call

I wrote fanfiction in the past, I'm trying to move away from fanfiction and onto my own personal projects.