Re: Social media account for novels?

I’m quite the private individual, so might be asking nonsense here, but… 

Do RR writers make social media accounts for their novels? So they can tweet their releases or something?

If so, does it help with publicity? Do readers appreciate it? 

And while I have your attention, what’s the deal with discord? Do readers like hearing their writers… talk?

God this makes me feel so old. 

For me I write for fun, so I don’t really promote. But if you are planning to make a career out of this then that might be a good idea. Also discord and Reddit are great ways to promote your novel, just join a subreddit and/or discord with people that have the same interests as your novel genre and do a promotion post now and then. Hope this answered part of the question 😅

Just my two cent, I know a guy who hires ghost writers to write his story ideas (I did a fiverr gig for him where I created a story outline) EVERY story he would make a social media account to promote that one book and when it was over, after 6 months or so he would delete that social media account and make a new account for the next project. I don't know how successful he was but honestly this idea seems very illogical to me. As a author you should just have a author account or author website for all your projects. This way people get to know you as a author and might follow and support you for the sake of you that's what having a brand is all about, it's not just for one specific product but for all your products. Having a author brand is the best way to go about things in my opinion.

YuanMi Wrote: Do RR writers make social media accounts for their novels? So they can tweet their releases or something?

I use my Twitter to promote chapter releases alongside the general page for it. I also use it to post or RT art I commissioned for the story. Mostly, it's a way for me to contact artists for commissions.

YuanMi Wrote: If so, does it help with publicity? Do readers appreciate it?
Kind of... it's honestly really hard to say. At face value, I might get like 100 impressions on a tweet pertaining to a chapter release+the general page for it. But any link or profile clicks? No, generally none at all. I'd say I get more profile clicks from art I commissioned than actual chapter tweets. Do readers appreciate it? Well... depends if they really like what you're writing, I guess.  DrakanLaugh

Social media takes time and energy. You might pick one or two options to target, but don't go all out unless you have a massive following or you're trying to make a living from it.

I have a Discord, mostly for my patrons. It's fairly quiet, but we do chat from time to time, and that's how I communicate with my beta readers as well. Discord is my most active social media platform (if we're not counting Patreon itself, or the sites where I post my stories).

I've posted on Reddit once or twice, but honestly, it's just too much to learn a new platform and keep up with it, and to figure out which subreddits are appropriate for what type of posts. If you're already a regular Reddit user, this one would be much easier.

Everyone says authors should use Facebook, but ... hell no. I left Facebook over a decade ago and I have no intention of going back. Maybe if I ever get popular enough to hire a publicist to handle it for me.

I have a very tiny Twitter account, where I just post new releases, and a slightly larger mailing list which also mostly gets new releases. If you get popular, you would definitely want both of these options, but for me, they kind of languish.

My big mailing list is my Patreon list, and I speak to them a lot more frequently.

If you're trying to write professionally, you definitely need a website. Mine's at https://www.ivyveritas.com. (Don't go there on your work computer, because I also write erotica on this pen name--the book covers are PG-rated, but still.)

I built this site using Wix, after my old WordPress site got hacked. I also have an email address linked to that domain, which is handy when I need to communicate via my pen name.

FallenPrinceA Wrote: Just my two cent, I know a guy who hires ghost writers to write his story ideas (I did a fiverr gig for him where I created a story outline) EVERY story he would make a social media account to promote that one book and when it was over, after 6 months or so he would delete that social media account and make a new account for the next project. I don't know how successful he was but honestly this idea seems very illogical to me. As a author you should just have a author account or author website for all your projects. This way people get to know you as a author and might follow and support you for the sake of you that's what having a brand is all about, it's not just for one specific product but for all your products. Having a author brand is the best way to go about things in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree, this is crazy. It's the exact opposite of how you're supposed to use social media. He gets followers and then ... he deletes them all instead of telling them about his next project. What's the point?

I'm also pretty private so I probably won't set up any social media accounts. But fan discords are fun, I used to hang on a few active ones where the authors were mostly quiet but the fanbase went wild with theorycrafting. 

Speaking of social media tho, has anyone here tried tiktok? 15 secs of selling a story premise sounds like it could work. My story has violence in it so I won't try it with the 13-y-o limit tiktok has, but I am curious if anyone has done it.

As just a general rule of thumb, I do use my Twitter to post notices about updates as well as art and such for my story. I've done the same for other projects I've worked on in the past, and I just do it on my own Twitter account since I don't really see much need to make a separate account for my work. I'm not a big creator or anything after all, I don't think anyone actually follows me on there for my writing. Heck, I have very few people who follow me at all. But it's there more or less just for the sake of having that set up.

Thanks for all the good points everyone. 

I do want to make a career in writing, but I also get its suuuuper hard to do so, especially for someone who is starting from nothing. I only use Reddit now, but it doesn’t feel like a suitable platform to promote anything.

Discord sounds fun, in a listening-in-to-my-readers sorta way, but from what I summarize, it’s all pointless until I actually get some readers.

Anyway, thanks everyone. And good luck to your writing <3

I too an be extremely private, the thing about social media is that you can share whatever you want to share and can choose not to share anything that makes you too uncomfortable to share. The few things that people do know about myself as a person, is I am Disabled and that's simply because I try to focus on a lot of representation in my books and in my own content, they know I have Pets that's just because pets love to photo bomb videos, and that's about it. They don't know what state I live in, I am not comfortable sharing it, they know my upload schedule. And I do advocacy on the side, speaking about dangerous stigmas books can continue to perpetuate, ideas of deprogramming our writing to believe that here is one single right way to write, and I do writing advice for individuals who are ND. But social media is a good way to engage with the community, promote your book and I personally believe Authors should be transparent about their views so they either can be educated if they are problematic or to give readers a sense that they are supporting someone who actually cares.