Re: Hello all!

Hello RR!

My name is Aria and I've been aware of this site for some time, but I only just decided to join. My stories tend to run on the short side and are generally romance-centered, but RR runs on the longer works with genres I don't really write in. But I thought "hey, there's probably still an audience and a lot of things I can learn there" so here I am.

I love fantasy stories with romance, gods, action, magic, mystical races and creatures, and so much more. 

So, I will be writing fantasy romance stories that probably won't run for as long as folks here tend to expect, but working on my word count and craft are a big part of the reason I decided to join. Until I have enough chapters in good enough shape to post, I plan to spend my time reading and checking out the forums.

I'm looking forward to meeting you, and to share my work with you :D

Welcome! Depending on how short your fictions usually are, you could always put them together in a short story collection? I know a few people around here do that. Or add sequels to the same fiction page as the original. Also, imo, let your stories be the length they naturally are, otherwise you run the risk of adding words for the sake of adding words. Though equally, if you want to write a longer work, go for it, write what you want to write.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when ready to share & approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

(Also I promise I'm not an AI bot, I just happened to be on the forums when I saw the new red box. 😅)

Cinn Wrote: Welcome! Depending on how short your fictions usually are, you could always put them together in a short story collection? I know a few people around here do that. Or add sequels to the same fiction page as the original. Also, imo, let your stories be the length they naturally are, otherwise you run the risk of adding words for the sake of adding words. Though equally, if you want to write a longer work, go for it, write what you want to write.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when ready to share & approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

(Also I promise I'm not an AI bot, I just happened to be on the forums when I saw the new red box. 😅)

Thank you for the information! That's super useful.

When I say 'short' I tend to mean "not traditional novel length." My stories tend not to top 35,000 words, and i'm pretty sure it's an issue with my craft more than anything else. I'm also an impatient reader so I unintentionally skip things in my mind. I fully agree that stories should be as long as they need to be, and there's no minimum or maximum to do that :)

AriaJane Wrote: Thank you for the information! That's super useful.

When I say 'short' I tend to mean "not traditional novel length." My stories tend not to top 35,000 words, and i'm pretty sure it's an issue with my craft more than anything else. I'm also an impatient reader so I unintentionally skip things in my mind. I fully agree that stories should be as long as they need to be, and there's no minimum or maximum to do that :)
No problem. Also I see no issues with fictions being novella length, but I'm biased because my natural complete fiction word count seems to be about 40k. 😅

Welcome to Royal Road. Although romance isn't a top genre here, there is certainly an audience for it. You seem to have a good handle on what you want to write which is great. You only get better at writing by writing so you've made a good decision to post your work here. 

The FAQ's under Support provide useful information about the site. Also being active and commenting on stories you read are great ways to interact with the community. Hope you enjoy your time here and that your work attracts many readers. Good luck.

Welcome to Royal Road!

There was someone fairly recently asking about fantasy romances in the recommendations subforum and AlexaLee is doing quite well with her own fantasy romance. So even if it might not be what many people on this site like to read, there is still a reader base for it. 

Anyways, hope you are doing well and that you enjoy your time here!