Re: Hey everyone!

inheritanceofdustandash Wrote: Great call, I tried earlier and it was too big, so I need to reformat it. I also heard about this site while I was on vacation so I don’t have an official cover yet! Thanks for the tip!

Ah, covers are the bane of many of us! It might be worth having a look around the art thread and seeing if someone is willing to make you a cover. If not, someone might be along soon with an offering! 

Welcome to Royal Road. Glad you found Royal Road to your liking. If you haven't already, check out the FAQ's under Support to learn more about the site. The Art section of the Forums has some good work posted and you can post some of your own as well. Being active in the Forums and commenting on stories you read are the best ways to interact with the community. Posting 9 chapters in a day isn't too bad, but 1 or 2 a day seems to work best. Hope you continue to enjoy being here and that your book attracts many readers. Good luck.

Welcome! And aren't rules meant to be broken? 😅 Seriously, the rule about not dumping the backlog is more about exposure than anything.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Welcome to Royal Road!

Uploading too many chapters on line might hurt in terms of getting less time on the front page; but on the other hand, people who would like to see a minimum amount of pages/chapters before reading anything might be more likely to give your story a shot sooner rather than later. So there is still a silver lining.

Anyways, like your cover, hope you are doing well and that you enjoy your time here!