Re: How do you all update so fast?

Bird Wrote: I mean I understand that people tend to plan their stories long before they post but good god, there’s people that can write thousands of words in a day, while in the same span I can only write a few hundred. People can produce hundreds of chapters within a year, while it takes my  several weeks to write one. It’s scary to think that people would only start to think about getting into a story when it’s at least 50 chapters long, while I think if I make mine more than 30-ish it would be dragging it out. What are you guys doing? Is there some kind of secret?  
DrakanSweat

I'm sure most people are backlogging their chapters. And don't feel like you're dragging it out at 30+ chapters. I'm only on chapter 17 on RR and 23 backlogged and I'm only just now getting to the second quarter of the story. Planning it out is definitely a big help that way you can get it all out without having to stagger your way through a chapter. When it comes to actively updating quickly, not backlogging, some people just have a lot of free time to sit down and write thousands of words at a time. 

Derin_Edala Wrote: The more you write, the easier it becomes, and therefore the more words you can churn out with less effort. But word count productivity is not the only important factor -- one thousand words of good prose is better than ten thousand words of garbage, for many (though not all) readers.

And the lord sayeth down to man. "The Truth is what you shall speak, and The Truth is what you shall repeat." - TeeMcTee 12:39AM.

TeeMcTee Wrote:
Bird Wrote: I mean I understand that people tend to plan their stories long before they post but good god, there’s people that can write thousands of words in a day, while in the same span I can only write a few hundred. People can produce hundreds of chapters within a year, while it takes my  several weeks to write one. It’s scary to think that people would only start to think about getting into a story when it’s at least 50 chapters long, while I think if I make mine more than 30-ish it would be dragging it out. What are you guys doing? Is there some kind of secret?  
DrakanSweat

I'm sure most people are backlogging their chapters. And don't feel like you're dragging it out at 30+ chapters. I'm only on chapter 17 on RR and 23 backlogged and I'm only just now getting to the second quarter of the story. Planning it out is definitely a big help that way you can get it all out without having to stagger your way through a chapter. When it comes to actively updating quickly, not backlogging, some people just have a lot of free time to sit down and write thousands of words at a time.

Thank you, but to clarify. I meant if I make my story more than about 30 chapters, it would be me dragging it out. It just seemed like having a 30-ish chapter story seems too short for this site.

There are a few ways to explain this analogy, but the most common one I've seen is the "gardener" and "architect" version. Some writers write in the moment, and tend their garden, but don't have a master plan. They're in the thick of it, mud up to the elbows, and are producing as fast as they can, but they may not have some grand plan beyond the execution of a more general vision. They tend to have to edit and revise much more because of the nose to the ground approach. This is sometimes also called discovery writing, but that term can mean a few things.

Others are much more methodical, developing plans, outlines, character briefs, drafts, etc. They tend to need to revise much less because they've worked the problems out ahead of time, more or less.

I'm an architect. I plan and execute, and take revision seriously, going through two or three times before sharing anything. Sometimes this involves heavy scrapping, and sometimes complete resets because I discover the plan wasn't working for some reason—to be fully honest, that's what is happening with my novel. However, because I do have those plans and forethought and plan, I am able to write a lot, quickly. There are days I can put forth upwards of five thousand words in one sitting. I know a lot of people who consider 400 words a solid day's work, though, and for them, that's true.

Facility with the keyboard is another factor, which goes hand in hand with practice, already mentioned here. If you're not comfortable typing, but want to improve your output, consider playing some keyboarding games until you can type quickly and effortlessly. That has the benefit of reducing the mental-physical barrier to get your ideas on the page! Often overlooked, but if volume is the goal, it's vital to be able to write effortlessly!

Bird Wrote:
TeeMcTee Wrote:
DrakanSweat

Thank you, but to clarify. I meant if I make my story more than about 30 chapters, it would be me dragging it out. It just seemed like having a 30-ish chapter story seems too short for this site.

I understand the feeling, my first draft was around 36 chapters long and that was way too short in my opinion. Just let the story breathe naturally and it'll come out just fine as long as you look after it. If you want the story to be shorter or longer than 30 chapters then go for it, it's your story and no one should dictate what it is more than you.

TeeMcTee Wrote:
Bird Wrote:
TeeMcTee Wrote:
DrakanSweat

I understand the feeling, my first draft was around 36 chapters long and that was way too short in my opinion. Just let the story breathe naturally and it'll come out just fine as long as you look after it. If you want the story to be shorter or longer than 30 chapters then go for it, it's your story and no one should dictate what it is more than you.

I just worry that no one would be interested due to it being relatively short for this site.

When I was writing my series I told myself "I'm going to write a 3000 word chapter each day. That is my schedule, and I'm sticking to it."

So I did that. 

And uh yeah. It worked pretty well. 

Basically the secret ingredient is persistence, blood, sweat, tears, and just doing it. There is no secret. But here's the thing. I enjoyed every moment of my writing. I wrote what I enjoyed, and whenever I built my world, characters, and story, I was excited to do so. So even though I spent a lot of time on my story (Whether it was just thinking about it or actually doing the writing or editing or whatever), it was time that I enjoyed. 

So there. That's the big hint. Love what you write. When you do that, you'll want to write more and more. Also, the reason you spend weeks on a single chapter (In my opinion) is likely because you are a perfectionist. However being a perfectionist usually leads to procrastination. "Oh, I don't have the perfect inspiration right now in this moment, therefore I guess I'll wait until it comes."

Spoiler, it's never gonna come. Unless you sit down, put the pen to the pad, and write. 

DrakanSweat

Honestly, don't worry about it! Everyone is different in how they write and every story is different as to how quickly it will or will not come together. My first book, I wrote in just two months and is around 91k total word count. However, I was going through a situation that had me highly motivated to write and writing was a huge stress relief for me. It's sequel, however, I'm still working on and it's been a few years now. I'm working on several other books as well, some that I've been working on for years and are at a complete stand-still, while two others I've only been writing for a few months and I'm already several chapters in. I've had days where I can write 2-3k+ words and I've had other days where I just stare blankly at the page and I'm fortunate if I get even a couple hundred words written. The point is, it doesn't really matter how quickly you write, but that you keep writing and don't give up. 

As for story length, again, don't worry about how long others are making their books. Write until the book feels 'complete' to you. If would-be readers like what you set forth in your story description, then they'll read it. Also, longer does not necessarily mean better. Personally, if I see a story that is 100+ chapters and it doesn't specify that it is actually a whole series in one listing, I'm likely to shy away from it as I hate reading a book that feels like the author doesn't know how to pace it properly and is making it drag on-and-on. Even then, my preference is to see each book listed separately instead of lumped together.

Well, book planning and outline helps. If you have starting and ending of the book planned, write becomes twice as fast. And of course typing speed is also a must.
Some people also tend to write atleast 50 chapters before starting posting them one by one. It keeps the work ongoing regularly.
And of course, then there is practice.
Practice makes the man perfect.
The more you write, the more you learn.
So, don't stop and write as much as you can. Even if its gibberish.
Cuz later sometimes those gibberish gives you ideas for future work.

Welcome To Terminus
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/44833/welcome-to-terminus

Slow-ish writer here. People write at different speeds, process things at different rates, live different lives. 

Some dedicate longer hours, more than anyone have, and their work speed is just a result of that. 

It helps if you write consistently. For me I write 5 days a week with occasional breaks (haven't done that for awhile now been slaving away to reach my deadline). 

I think as long you enjoy the process, and keep at it, it should be fine

DrakanSweat

I'm not a fast writer, but just remember that people who write extremely fast aren't necessarily writing quality. Not saying long books are bad, but they are bound to have filler. If you feel your writing is quality, then keep writing at your pace. No need to get faster and ruin what you have. PeoReading

penove Wrote:
DrakanSweat

I'm not a fast writer, but just remember that people who write extremely fast aren't necessarily writing quality. Not saying long books are bad, but they are bound to have filler. If you feel your writing is quality, then keep writing at your pace. No need to get faster and ruin what you have. PeoReading

Do want to add that some folk who write a lot also may have ADHD and/or Autism, which comes with hyperfixation and/or hyperfocus. So sometimes, it's not always not quality either. When my ADHD kicks in and my Autism, I get a major creative bug and an write for hours. Coupled with time blindness. And you're looking at a ridiculous amount of chapters written in a manuscript.

I don't think my writing is some god tier level by the by. I just wanted to pointed out that some folk, like myself, will zero in on a thing. And then do the thing.