Re: What's the biggest achievement in your writing history to date?

Doesn't have to be spectacular, jut something you felt really moved by or surprised by, maybe happy maybe bad but turned out good! I'm talking like things from any kind of emotional standpoint, so they can good or bad in terms of success or failure. 

Personally, mine was being able to create a world were I felt like I had friends. As a teen my life was err, not sunshine and roses. Had to find a way to escape. Now, it's a great way for me to get stress off my mind and teach myself things I didn't even consider beforehand. I'm a little dense sure, but I do enjoy learning in any possible sense!

I would say my biggest achievement so far in writing has been finishing and self-publishing my first book. If you'd told me back in school that I'd now be writing novels I would have laughed you out the door. While I loved reading, I absolutely hated writing and now I love it. While I'd had several other books in progress before the one that I have out, it was the one I was able to finish first, only taking me two months to write and then another two to edit, format, etc. The idea for that book came at a time when I was stuck in a very bad situation at my old day job. I was grasping at straws for any way to get out of there and, while writing the book didn't bring in the income to let me leave, it did help me a great deal in being able to, at least temporarily, escape from the stress of everything.

Rilaiss Wrote: I would say my biggest achievement so far in writing has been finishing and self-publishing my first book. If you'd told me back in school that I'd now be writing novels I would have laughed you out the door. While I loved reading, I absolutely hated writing and now I love it. While I'd had several other books in progress before the one that I have out, it was the one I was able to finish first, only taking me two months to write and then another two to edit, format, etc. The idea for that book came at a time when I was stuck in a very bad situation at my old day job. I was grasping at straws for any way to get out of there and, while writing the book didn't bring in the income to let me leave, it did help me a great deal in being able to, at least temporarily, escape from the stress of everything.

Wow! hat's really impressive if I do say so myself. I've been trying to figure out how to get my works in a decades time, and still am clueless xD But at the same time I've done a lot of maturing so it's prolly best they've been on my shelf for some time. I just wish I could figure out how to keep a steady pace and not bounce from one story the next of my making. I've easily over 20 different kinds -insert fail- of ideas for books at this point heheh

JK-sama Wrote: I think my biggest achievement is writing 307k words in just a year of serial writing (and counting!!!). I've never stuck to a project for this long, much less achieved that much before with any previous ventures, and gained even if a little recognition for it.  DrakanMelt

Oooh nooo! D: I'd hate that feeling of being let down like that. I think you'll hang in, sometimes people just have to let it sit before it takes off. I've been working on mine for hecka long time but I've barely passed the prelude as I'm unsure if anyone would like it personally.

Slaynoir Wrote: Wow! hat's really impressive if I do say so myself. I've been trying to figure out how to get my works in a decades time, and still am clueless xD But at the same time I've done a lot of maturing so it's prolly best they've been on my shelf for some time. I just wish I could figure out how to keep a steady pace and not bounce from one story the next of my making. I've easily over 20 different kinds -insert fail- of ideas for books at this point heheh

Thanks! Keeping a steady pace is definitely a struggle. While my first book was written very quickly, I'm still working on getting the sequel out and it's been 4 years since book one released. In my defense though, it would have been out almost a year-and-a-half ago if it weren't for a laptop malfunction eating it. I'd had almost 115k words written and was literally days away from finishing it when my word processor malfunctioned and corrupted  the file beyond repair. Took me months before I could look at a blank page again without breaking down and crying. I'm back at it though and have now rewritten a bit over 1/3 of the story. 

I can sympathize though with having so many ideas going at once! I'm not quite to 20 different ideas, but I'm getting close to it. Right now, I'm working on a series that 5 books plus a prequel, a trilogy, and four other books that were initially planned as stand-alones that I'm now leaning towards turning into series and each in a slightly different genre/sub-genre .......................................................................................... And all progressing at completely different paces.

Slaynoir Wrote: Oooh nooo! D: I'd hate that feeling of being let down like that. I think you'll hang in, sometimes people just have to let it sit before it takes off. I've been working on mine for hecka long time but I've barely passed the prelude as I'm unsure if anyone would like it personally.

It wasn't meant to be negative! I meant that it makes me warm and fuzzy that people stick around, read and appreciated what I put out after all this time. The majority are silent types, but I still appreciate the stats going up regardless.  peoeating

Sticking with the same project for the year it took to complete it, and subsequently beginning the sequel on schedule without getting distracted by another new side project.

Given my ~20-year history of starting and dropping projects as fast as shiny new inspiration came along, I count this as a major success, and one I'd never have managed without the RoyalRoad community.
PeoloveU

My achievements aren't all that glorious, but I think my greatest achievement so far would be putting the effort to write a chapter a week, and at this point, for nearly a whole year. Although there were one-day delays and some chapters that I wish I could've written better, the fact that I've consistently followed through my schedule without anyone keeping me accountable makes me really proud.