Re: Not a new writer, but new to Royal Road. Would love to meet some people!

Hello everyone! I'm not new to writing, but I am new to this website. Before I post anything, I want to build some connections in the community and get a feel for everything here. I've written sci-fi, dark fantasy, and short stories of various genres. Additionally, I love reading and making digital art. I'm also a marine biologist in training, so I suppose we can talk about that as well!

Anyone want to introduce themselves to me?

Welcome! Private messages are a thing on RR, they're a little awkward sometimes. Easiest way I think is to go to someone's profile and there should be a message user button somewhere. 🤔

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when ready to share & approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Welcome to Royal Road. Have always enjoyed writing and as an engineer I have to write a lot of technical reports. Finally decided to start writing for myself about seven years ago. Took a few more years after that to get up the courage to share what I'd written online. It's been a blast. Most of my work is sci-fi though I did a few other genres in my short story collections. Currently writing a fantasy novel. Hope to share it in a few (well maybe more than a few) months.

Now for some advice. The FAQ's under Support provide a good overview of the site. Being active in the Forums and commenting on stories you read are the best ways to interact with the community. Also since you're an artist, check out the Art section of the Forums. Lot of good work there and you can share some of your own.

Hope you enjoy being here and that your stories attract many readers. Good luck.

Hey there! Great to meet you. Sounds like you'll fit right in! 

I'm a long-time fantasy lover and fiction writer, myself. I've actually finished several online web-serial novels, which I haven't yet started posting here but hope to in the future. Also an RPG/MMO gamer and write a lot about RPG worlds due to that. 

Sending you good vibes for great future posting! 
DrakanAmused

Well met, fellow traveler!

I'm always in the market for new friends, so hit me up anytime you want to chat! We could head over to the tavern for a few drinks if you're so inclined, the drinks are strange but they hit the spot, and the food is delish!

I'm new here myself, but so far I really like the atmosphere and the people seem nice, so stick around for a while and share some stories with us!