Hello for Toronto
You're going to get a tonne of pre-prepared advice from people shortly, so I'm not going to step on their toes.
But welcome! We recently had a discussion on Vampires- Vampires: Are they overdone? Is there still something you can do with them? | Royal Road
and it gave me the deSIRE to spend time on coming up with the starts of a plan for my own vampire story to write.... one day..!
Look forward to following your HNTV serial in October!
I'm one of the pre-prepared advice people Enhanced warned you about. Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
- Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
- Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
- Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
- Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
- Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
- Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
The FAQ's under Support provides a lot of good information about the site. Being active in the Forums and commenting on stories you read are great ways to interact with the community. Here's the link to create a signature https://www.royalroad.com/account/signature. Just noticed you've already got an entire novel posted. Wow. For future reference though you might want to slow down a little. When a chapter is posted it shows up on the Latest Update list which is where many readers find stories to read. A 1 or 2 chapter a day release rate allows good exposure on the list for a longer period of time.
Hope you continue to enjoy being here and that your works attract many readers. Good luck.
I prefer RR over Wattpad these days. The company here is pretty good, the forums are not as numerous as those that were on Wattpad, but I like the neatness of the forum because it makes it easier to scroll through topics quickly.
The only real advice I can offer - which to you is more of a reminder - is to be patient, but be consistent with your writing - post on a regular schedule after the first 10 days of posting. Readers trust reliable writers over the quality of the writing. That sounds so weird to say - but as my spouse tells me, he enjoys light reading before bed, where I enjoy heavy thoughtful content. That just means everyone has their preferences, and the posting schedule should match your ability to produce consistent quality of your writing style and story.
Best of luck.