Re: Genres! Must have more!

I write a lot of different stuff. Some of it relatively “pure” (urban fantasy, sword & sorcery) but a lot of it “mixed” genre (science fantasy, post-apoc hopepunk, etc). Genre is just a *very* fuzzy classification set as is, though, so 🤷‍♂️

I love watching spy films, and would like to someday write one, but I’m terrible at writing about computers/hacking, guns or other modern weapons/explosives, etc. I just don’t have the knowledge base. I also love romantic comedies, but don’t often find paranormal romance to my taste. 

I tend to also really love specific kinds of stories or maybe you could say specific tropes. I love stories where the protagonist is learning or developing magical knowledge (one reason I think I’m enjoying LitRPG/Progression stories as much as I am). I love heist stories, or the takedown of authoritarian power structures. Etc.

thislostrose Wrote: I am weak to supernatural stories, be it romances or strange happenings. Sign me up!!! 👌
Sprinkle in some self awareness and maybe a little bit of wriggling brows from characters at their circumstances and then you get some magic. 😎
So supernatural-romance-comedy is my favourite combo ☆

I've about 10 other -mini- stories (not fan fics) that're related to different genres and supernatural/romance sort of fits the bill for one of them. It's called [email protected]! :D Would you be interested in reading/looking at it? I've not quite yet put the full chapter together, but I do love me some informative story stuff. I've plenty of that lol

Zeepolian Wrote: I feel like investigative noir is often underrepresented. It's so easy to splice it into other genres too.

Space noir.
Fantasy noir.
Romance noir.

Gimme that hard-boiled goodness.

I've -something- like that too. It's called B.Light! SciFi/Fantasy/Noir! I have ALOT of stories so I've covered nearly every genre save for some of the ones I don't much care for.

TomOBedlam Wrote: I write a lot of different stuff. Some of it relatively “pure” (urban fantasy, sword & sorcery) but a lot of it “mixed” genre (science fantasy, post-apoc hopepunk, etc). Genre is just a *very* fuzzy classification set as is, though, so 🤷‍♂️

I love watching spy films, and would like to someday write one, but I’m terrible at writing about computers/hacking, guns or other modern weapons/explosives, etc. I just don’t have the knowledge base. I also love romantic comedies, but don’t often find paranormal romance to my taste. 

I tend to also really love specific kinds of stories or maybe you could say specific tropes. I love stories where the protagonist is learning or developing magical knowledge (one reason I think I’m enjoying LitRPG/Progression stories as much as I am). I love heist stories, or the takedown of authoritarian power structures. Etc.

Of the many stories I'm writing I've a bunch of those genres. One is called Crown of Thorns (computers/hacking) and there's also B.Light (dystopia) and I think my story of Iron Dragon (western/heist-ish) would be of some interest if you ever wanted to know more. I've plenty of notes and simply need to get some chapters put together but no one has ever really cared to ask me, so I generally put it out there for people to know I like talking about them. :)

Rabid Wrote: I am a sucker for the old wish fulfillment reincarnation stuff.
Also anything involving time travel or comedy... 
preferably all of the above with horror (Army of darkness rules !)

Man I've got some stories like that. I've a story that's sort of like reincarnation but with 'vices of those whom passed' as actual beings, being reborn as a actual person. It's called [email protected] I've some others you may be interested in as well! Lemme know if you'd like me to share some stuff from them. :3

Slaynoir Wrote:
thislostrose Wrote: I am weak to supernatural stories, be it romances or strange happenings. Sign me up!!! 👌
Sprinkle in some self awareness and maybe a little bit of wriggling brows from characters at their circumstances and then you get some magic. 😎

I've about 10 other -mini- stories (not fan fics) that're related to different genres and supernatural/romance sort of fits the bill for one of them. It's called [email protected]! :D Would you be interested in reading/looking at it? I've not quite yet put the full chapter together, but I do love me some informative story stuff. I've plenty of that lol

Will have a look! 😎👌

thislostrose Wrote:
Slaynoir Wrote:

Will have a look! 😎👌
Sweet! What is the something you'd be interested to know about? I'm all ears.

Slaynoir Wrote:
thislostrose Wrote:
Slaynoir Wrote:

Will have a look! 😎👌

Your writing when it's released?

thislostrose Wrote:
Slaynoir Wrote:
thislostrose Wrote:
Slaynoir Wrote:

Will have a look! 😎👌

Your writing when it's released?

lol I meant as a means of giving an example of what it reads as, sorry about that.

Haust Wrote:
Zeepolian Wrote: I feel like investigative noir is often underrepresented. It's so easy to splice it into other genres too.

Space noir.
Fantasy noir.
Romance noir.

Gimme that hard-boiled goodness.
Romance set in fantasy space-noir sounds pretty great
While its not centered around only romance, I do have a coulpe of works that have themes like that.

Rabid Wrote:
Slaynoir Wrote:
Rabid Wrote: I am a sucker for the old wish fulfillment reincarnation stuff.
Also anything involving time travel or comedy... 
preferably all of the above with horror (Army of darkness rules !)

Man I've got some stories like that. I've a story that's sort of like reincarnation but with 'vices of those whom passed' as actual beings, being reborn as a actual person. It's called [email protected] I've some others you may be interested in as well! Lemme know if you'd like me to share some stuff from them. :3

I went to your profile and didn't see the fiction link. I wouldn't mind reading it , in between procrastinating and research.

It should be up now :)