Re: Happy to find a new community!

Hello there! I always never know what to put in these introduction posts but I wanted to do one anyways. 

I've been writing my whole life and self publishing for a few years. I mostly do fantasy stuff, and I tend towards the more action-oriented side of things - I really enjoy the more thoughtful fantasy works by authors like Le Guin or Jemisin, but when I'm writing I just enjoy putting together something more high energy. (Even when I'm writing a character who's explicitly bad at the whole combat thing, I throw him into chase sequences, escapes, and all sorts of deadly peril.) 

I'm autistic, and always happy to read well-written autistic characters in fantasy books - unfortunately, those are pretty hard to find! If you have any recommendations in that vein, please let me know. ^_^ 

I'll be posting my books up overtime, I'm trying not to dump them all up here at once! Right now I'm posting a book that I'm writing serial-style, posting one chapter a week, but I've also got some novels that I'll be uploading on here that I've had done for a while. 

Nice to meet you all! 

Hey there! I'm Ally. THAT IS SO COOL YOU HAVE AUTISM. So do I! I like writing a ton of different things from my own brainworlds to fanfiction. I've not done a lot per say in the chapter arena, but I do have a lot of story information lol

Welcome! I'm new as well. :D And as for autistic characters well, -hint hint- there is one and she's feisty!

Slaynoir Wrote: Hey there! I'm Ally. THAT IS SO COOL YOU HAVE AUTISM. So do I! I like writing a ton of different things from my own brainworlds to fanfiction. I've not done a lot per say in the chapter arena, but I do have a lot of story information lol

Welcome! I'm new as well. :D And as for autistic characters well, -hint hint- there is one and she's feisty!
Could you be a bit more specific? I'm not sure who you're referring to! 

M Wrote:
Slaynoir Wrote: Hey there! I'm Ally. THAT IS SO COOL YOU HAVE AUTISM. So do I! I like writing a ton of different things from my own brainworlds to fanfiction. I've not done a lot per say in the chapter arena, but I do have a lot of story information lol

Could you be a bit more specific? I'm not sure who you're referring to! 

Well you in the sense of who I am talking to, alas. :DIf you mean who I'm talking about, the character's name is Mary Slaynoir if that's what you mean. :3

Welcome! There was another intro thread recently where the maker even did podcasts or something on how to make writing inclusive for neurodiverse readers. I will try and find it again.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too. Hopefully it's not patronising to someone who's been doing this a while elsewhere.😅
  • Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Edit: found their intro thread.
https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/110938

Welcome to Royal Road!

Speaking of autistic characters, I read Speed of Dark. Not a fantasy book, but I enjoyed it. Not sure if you consider the MC well-written or not, but I have very little information on autism outside of barely remembered psychology lectures back in uni.

Anyways, hope you are doing well and that you enjoy your time here!

msng Wrote: Welcome to Royal Road!

Speaking of autistic characters, I read Speed of Dark. Not a fantasy book, but I enjoyed it. Not sure if you consider the MC well-written or not, but I have very little information on autism outside of barely remembered psychology lectures back in uni.

Anyways, hope you are doing well and that you enjoy your time here!
That's the tripping point, 'Not a fantasy book'! There's lots (or at least a fair amount) of scifi with autistic characters. Fantasy, though? 

Besides my own writing, I can count the characters with actual depth and narrative agency I've read on one hand.