Re: Would you rather have it dark or vanilla?

Anja.Janus Wrote: Romance with a psychopath? Nope, thank you. I don't mind a romance with a character that has darker side: some shady business in the past (or in the present), a personality that's somewhat rough around the edges, etc. But they can't cross the line from redeemable bad guy into a full-blown psychopathic villain. But that's just me.

Also...psychopaths aren't required to be evil or mean by the way. The main problem with them would be the problems feeling empathy. I would find that actually kind of an interesting romance story potentially. I admit it'd probably be hard to pull off.

Anja.Janus Wrote: Romance with a psychopath? Nope, thank you. I don't mind a romance with a character that has darker side: some shady business in the past (or in the present), a personality that's somewhat rough around the edges, etc. But they can't cross the line from redeemable bad guy into a full-blown psychopathic villain. But that's just me.
First off, I think everyone in this thread really shouldn't use the term psychopath in the first place that is neither here nor there. But I'd like to add that a romance with a "psychopath" needn't be evil or dangerous. I have a romantic subplot with one of my characters who cannonically has Anti Social Personality Disorder. The issue in this relationship is not because this character is evil villain or "psychotic" the main issue is understanding. Those with ASPD do have emotion and have empathy some can develop through therapy, but the issue is that it is that they have a lower empathy threshold than a neurotypical brain. Not all people with ASPD are evil or kill people or harm them. And in fact psychopathic traits and sociopathic traits are on a spectrum. Sorry just had to bring this up.

Crusixblade Wrote: psychopaths aren't required to be evil or mean by the way. The main problem with them would be the problems feeling empathy. I would find that actually kind of an interesting romance story potentially.

Totally agree that psychopaths =/= evil, but the lack of empathy for me is massive hurdle to any believable romance, not potential. I just couldn't buy a genuine emotional connection between characters when one of them is established as somebody unable to empathize with people in general. Personally, I see this going one of 2 routes:
- the romance is one-sided and ultimately exploitative relationship (which I could maybe enjoy in a short story or like a minor subplot between secondary characters, but not as the central relationship of the long, multi-chapter story—just too dark for me);
- the psychopath "learns" empathy in the course of the relationship, which just NO, can't stand this trope.

But that's just my take. And I'm sure there's a ton of people who would devour romance with this type of character.

Anja.Janus Wrote:
Crusixblade Wrote: psychopaths aren't required to be evil or mean by the way. The main problem with them would be the problems feeling empathy. I would find that actually kind of an interesting romance story potentially.

Totally agree that psychopaths =/= evil, but the lack of empathy for me is massive hurdle to any believable romance, not potential. I just couldn't buy a genuine emotional connection between characters when one of them is established as somebody unable to empathize with people in general. Personally, I see this going one of 2 routes:
- the romance is one-sided and ultimately exploitative relationship (which I could maybe enjoy in a short story or like a minor subplot between secondary characters, but not as the central relationship of the long, multi-chapter story—just too dark for me);
- the psychopath "learns" empathy in the course of the relationship, which just NO, can't stand this trope.

But that's just my take. And I'm sure there's a ton of people who would devour romance with this type of character.

Lack of empathy is a hard hurdle, but love ironically doesn't need empathy outright...Won't lie, it'd be hard to do without some serious research. It'd be a non-common romance outright, but..I can see it being earnest.

I think as long as you nail how the mind works then I'd personally be fine with whatever. My problem with romance stories is usually that females are depicted as brainless and exaggeratedly non-independent. There are also rarely realistic subtleties at work when it comes to flirting. Often it's either just too straightforward in a poor way - or based on flat stereotypes.

Sometimes romance is written like how the author would like romance to be and not what it's usually like. For me, that breaks immersion and can make me drop a story instantly.

Aza.Iva Wrote: When you think of a romance story, would you prefer it being with an egotistical, psychopath MC or a sweeter than the sugar MC?
I like my romance both ways, but if you're going to go dark, do it right. Make it egotistical; a psychopath with that one bit of tease at the end of the stick that will not happen, but don't take my advice. It probably will not go very well with getting approved. My second attempt with the story I'm working on now didn't get approved to be on this site because it was too much... so i had to start over lol...