Re: Hello Hello!

I just noticed these part of the forums, I have made a few posts but I wanted to make a proper introduction. So hello! A friend of mine recently introduced me to RR and it seems to be pretty cool. For the past few years I have been writing mostly for classes, but this will be the first time I truly try to write a full story. Thanks for reading this!

Welcome! RR does have a good sense of community. I hope you enjoy working on a larger project, but a number of people upload collections of short stories. If you wanted to share some of the stuff you already have.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR so isn't relevant right now ,but might be useful for future reference. There's some other useful things too.
  • Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when ready to share and approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
  • Writing a fiction is a lot of work. Don't be disheartened if you hit a block or stumble. If there's specific questions that are getting in your way, ask away in the forums. A lot of projects never see completion, so don't beat yourself up if that happens. It's all experience and there's only one way to get it. So write what you enjoy.
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Welcome to Royal Road. It's good that you're already active in the Forums. It's one of the best ways to interact with the community. The other is to comment on stories you read. To learn more about the site check out the FAQ's under Support.

Setting out to write something for yourself is quite an adventure. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The important thing is to write what you enjoy the way you want to write it. Hope you enjoy being here and that your works attract many readers. Good luck.