Re: I've been here a few months now, but this is my first time on the forums.

Hi everyone. This is my first post on these forums.  I'm not really active online, but I think it's important to try and be a part of the community where I post my writing.  So hello.

Also, I have a quick question.  I've noticed some interesting topics under active topics, but they haven't had posts in a few days.  Would those be okay to reply to, or is that frowned upon?

Welcome to the Forums. It's absolutely okay to reply to older posts. New ideas and opinions are always welcome. Being active in the Forums is a great way to interact with the community so have at it. Another way to interact with the community is to comment on any stories you read. Enjoy the Forums and I hope your writing achieves everything you want it to. Good luck.

parkertallan Wrote: Welcome to the Forums. It's absolutely okay to reply to older posts. New ideas and opinions are always welcome. Being active in the Forums is a great way to interact with the community so have at it. Another way to interact with the community is to comment on any stories you read. Enjoy the Forums and I hope your writing achieves everything you want it to. Good luck.

Thank you for the answer!

Welcome! I agree with Parker, absolutely reply to older posts. Though it might be frowned upon if the last reply was from a few years back. 😅 Though, equally, if you find it interesting/beneficial/fun others might too.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Cinn Wrote: Welcome! I agree with Parker, absolutely reply to older posts. Though it might be frowned upon if the last reply was from a few years back. 😅 Though, equally, if you find it interesting/beneficial/fun others might too.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Thank you for the advice.  Copy-pasted or not, it is appreciated.

MrOrangeContinuum Wrote: Also, I have a quick question.  I've noticed some interesting topics under active topics, but they haven't had posts in a few days.  Would those be okay to reply to, or is that frowned upon?

(shrugs) I don't really mind. Any post made a month or two after the last post still looks relevant to me. 

The only necropost I consider are posting done to a thread that is already dead for a year. At that point, maybe it's time to start a new thread for the topic.