Late introduction, but hullo!
I have already started to post on this site, but been lurking in the forums and decided to introduce myself. I used to be a reader only, and just now decided to take the jump and become a web novel writer. So far, it's fun but quite tough at times. Especially on this site.
Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
- Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
- Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
- Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
- Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
- Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
- Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
- Writing a fiction is a lot of work. Don't be disheartened if you hit a block or stumble. If there's specific questions that are getting in your way, ask away in the forums. A lot of projects never see completion, so don't beat yourself up if that happens. It's all experience and there's only one way to get it. So write what you enjoy.
Would support what Cinn and parkertallan have advised. They have been part of the welcome gang for a while and have refined their tips for new writers.
Anyways, hope you are doing well and that you enjoy your time here!
I did the auto signature and yeah, I am posting quickly because I already have this story up on SH and only just now decided to mosey over here. I think it is difficult here because it easy to go unseen? But the advice above was really helpful and I will be taking it into full account.
Thank you again!
Tblewit Wrote:Slaynoir Wrote: Hey there! I'm new too, so good luck! :DThank you! I hope you have good luck too. :)
Anytime you'd like to share stories have maybe have a review hook me up. I've PLENTY myself xDDD So many in fact I've actually have a bunch of notes everywhere on my computer lol My main series is pretty solid, just need to write the rest of the chapters really.