Re: Hello, just discovered this website.

Welcome! We were all new once, you'll find your way around eventually. Just get stuck in.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Someone usually comes along with a link. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fictions find an audience.

Welcome to Royal Road. To learn more about the site, check out the FAQ's under Support. Lots of great stuff here to read as well as a wonderful place to share your writing. Cinn's covered all the important information. I'll just add that being active in the Forums and commenting on stories you read are the best ways to interact with the community. Hope you enjoy being here. Good luck.

parkertallan Wrote: Welcome to Royal Road. To learn more about the site, check out the FAQ's under Support. Lots of great stuff here to read as well as a wonderful place to share your writing. Cinn's covered all the important information. I'll just add that being active in the Forums and commenting on stories you read are the best ways to interact with the community. Hope you enjoy being here. Good luck.

Thanks

Cinn Wrote: Welcome! We were all new once, you'll find your way around eventually. Just get stuck in.

Here's my usual copy-paste advice. A lot of it is related to visibility on RR, but there's some other useful things too.
  • Get your fiction link(s) into your signature (when approved). There's an auto generate but also some guides if you want to customise it. Someone usually comes along with a link. Also every forum post has a tick box to click to show it.
  • Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.
  • Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule. So be realistic about how much you can write, it doesn't matter how fast/slow that is, being consistent is most important imo.
  • Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.
  • Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.
  • Here's Gej's handy guide to RR's rep system. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297
I hope you enjoy RR and your fictions find an audience.

Thanks, this is very helpful