Re: Are there any words or phrases that you have negative associations or aversions to?

Seersucker Wrote: I try to avoid M'lord and M'lady even though they'd honestly fit in the context of a lot of what I write.

Ugh, same. Several of my characters are noblewomen, and it would probably make sense for people to call them "milady," but I just can't shake the neckbeard-y associations. It's like the phrase "but I'm such a nice guy!" in that there's nothing objectively wrong with it, but we all understand the implications. 

Re: Are there any words or phrases that you have negative associations or aversions to?

Not really a word or a phrase, but I can't read a book that's written in present tense. I don't know why but it just feels so unnatural.

As for phrases it's usually some overused ones like: "He released a breath he didn't know he was holding." or "He fell down like a puppet with strings cut.". It was fine the first 15 times I read it but it's getting too repetitive. I wouldn't stop reading because of them but I always roll my eyes at them.

It's kinda the same with words, I don't like when they are repeated too much. When every sentence starts the same way: "He said...", "He walked towards...", "He punched...". Just keep it fresh and diverse.