Re: Are there any words or phrases that you have negative associations or aversions to?

Ridgeview Wrote: Are there any specific words or phrases you cringe to write in your fiction, or try to avoid using because of negative associations you have with them?  Do you fight through it and write them down anyway for the sake of your story?

I usually cringe at every single thing I write if I'm looking at it a month after I wrote it.

I try to avoid M'lord and M'lady even though they'd honestly fit in the context of a lot of what I write.

scost Wrote: Literally, the word 'meal' as in lunch, dinner, breakfast. It gives me the shits and I can't stand it. I don't really know why. I avoid it in speech and writing and just awkwardly use 'food' instead - there aren't a lot of good synonyms, hit me up if you know any.

Avoid my story. I think I use the word Meal about 40 times in the five chapters I have out.

Re: Are there any words or phrases that you have negative associations or aversions to?

Order of magnitude. It was fine when I read the first instance of it from one character's POV - but then it kept repeating over and over again from different POVs. It broke my emersion because in book 6 is the first time it was even a term that the characters would use. And by book 6 I became painfully aware of which author was writing which character because their narrative style didn't change (which is fine for distant third) but got jarring when the dialogue styles started to meld. I suppose by book 6 and you're a best seller - you don't have to try anymore. Was the last book I read in that series for reasons outside of 'orders of magnitude'.

It's not a single word, but I cringe extremely hard when authors use random words from foreign languages. 

Like a character is speaking English and, suddenly, there is a word in a different language before going back to English. I absolutely hate it and will stop reading any book story that does that.

It's even worse if the words are from a language that I speak.

An author made up some jargon for their world, where people ask "Crystal?" and the other person says "Clear.". Every character is saying it, it happens almost every single chapter, sometimes even more than once, and my brain gets a mini-stroke any time I see it Xd 

It bothers me sooo, so much, I don't even know why. I'm just allergic to the phrase 

I've got another one. 

'cheatlike' as in a character having a cheatlike ability. It screams that the author has only ever read translated isekai manga. I don't think the word or even the phrasing exists in english and it's so inane anyway.

I give it a little leeway in xianxian since its kind of a genre staple to read like it was translated (that may be a hot take) but it's still really annoying, and doesn't bode well for the novel.

Ridgeview Wrote: Are there any specific words or phrases you cringe to write in your fiction, or try to avoid using because of negative associations you have with them?  Do you fight through it and write them down anyway for the sake of your story?

Like if your MC were listen to a bigot talk, and it would be un-natural for the bigot to not use certain words in that situation?

I don't like the word "subvert" when describing a surprise for the reader. The word literally means to overthrow or prevert something.

"little did they know..." really makes me cringe. Any sort of really lazy foreshadowing annoys me, but that one's been kinda cliche for years and I still see it once in a while.

In my own writing, I tend towards eradicating the word 'that'. I don't actually dislike it, but it seems there are very few sentences where it's actually useful; cutting it often doesn't affect the meaning, but will still make things more readable.

This is more a grammatical pet peeve than anything, but using 'sprouting' instead of 'spouting', as in 'sprouting nonsense'. It kinda almost makes sense? But it's just similar enough to make me double-take.

Other than that, 'begs the question' is changing in it's usage, and it gets to me. I was taught the original meaning, which is 'renders the question moot'; it's a shortening of 'beggars the question', as in, removes all value from asking it, but most current usage seems synonymous with 'raises the question', or 'causes the question to be asked', and that's... basically exactly the opposite of what it originally meant. I'm not going to say people are using it wrong - I'm a descriptivist, not prescriptivist - but every time I read it I'm reminded of why I both love and hate English as a language.

Ramingo Wrote: Like a character is speaking English and, suddenly, there is a word in a different language before going back to English. I absolutely hate it and will stop reading any book story that does that.
Actually, this can happen in real life as well, stress might be the reason for it happening. I used to have a Spanish coworker, who at times slips back into their tongue, then return to speaking English. However, other than a moment like that, unless it is a joke, I don’t think anyone will do this normally. 

meteoraguy Wrote: This reminds me of a story I was reading. It's actually pretty good, but it frequently does this weird thing where the mom character says something to her son in a foreign language and repeats it in English. It's been established that they speak the same language, so why does she keep unnecessarily translating her statements in dramatic situations? Or, you know, why not say it in English since they're both fluent in it and the story is written in English? 🤷‍♂️

It disrupts the flow of the dialogue.
Yeah, I agree there. It makes no sense to say it twice. This is really only acceptable under very specific circumstances, for instance. If there isn’t a native speaker of the language, then it would make sense to translate what it means. Other than a situation like that, it wouldn’t make sense to say the same thing twice.

given that my current story always has to rhyme
i find words that i just can't make use of all the time
sometimes i can make it work with words i've never used
but to be quite honest, there's some words that i've abused

rhyming dictionaries have been quite a bit of help
but 'help' is hard to follow up with 'kelp' or 'whelp' or 'yelp'
sometimes it's surprising when some common words don't fit
sometimes it requires that the story change a bit

Ararara Wrote: An author made up some jargon for their world, where people ask "Crystal?" and the other person says "Clear.". Every character is saying it, it happens almost every single chapter, sometimes even more than once, and my brain gets a mini-stroke any time I see it Xd 

It bothers me sooo, so much, I don't even know why. I'm just allergic to the phrase

I used to be in a military unit that used that,  except backwards. The squad leader would ask if instructions were "clear", and we would answer,  "crystal".