Re: Questions for Authors: What is your impression of a reader who comments in every chapter?

Hello. I've been a reader lurker lately and on some fictions, I get invested in, I would comment as I read along with the story. It's okay on popular fiction here coz they already have a good amount of comments. But some fictions I follow have few or no comments, at all. And I feel like I might be annoying the author with the notifications when it could be just me making notifs over and over again.

So I'm curious to the authors here, what is your impression to a reader that comments in every chapter? Do you appreciate it, or is it considered spamming already and should be discouraged?

Re: Questions for Authors: What is your impression of a reader who comments in every chapter?

van Wrote: Hello. I've been a reader lurker lately and on some fictions, I get invested in, I would comment as I read along with the story. It's okay on popular fiction here coz they already a good amount of comments. But some fictions I follow have few or no comments, at all. And I feel like I might be annoying the author with the notifications when it could be just me making notifs over and over again.

So I'm curious to the authors here, what is your impression to a reader that comments in every chapter? Do you appreciate it, or is it considered spamming already, and should be discouraged?
Please comment…you have no idea how much that is appreciated…

JK-sama Wrote:
van Wrote: So I'm curious to the authors here, what is your impression to a reader that comments in every chapter? Do you appreciate it, or is it considered spamming already and should be discouraged?
Some(all) of us would (metaphorically) kill if it meant actually getting comments of any kind. DrakanFascinating
This does open more possibilities. Perhaps one reason comments are low, is that, readers might feel discouraged and or confused if there is little to none on a story. Maybe that should be in the guidelines, to clarify that it is okay to comment, but being respectful is a must. Have your debate and all, but don’t go attacking anyone.

Maybe that might encourage more to comment…  DrakanFascinating

Yeah, I really enjoy the times I've had actual engagement in the comments and I like taking the time to reply. 
Note that I said actual engagement.

I have seen in the forums instances of authors finding questions regularly being asked in the comments by a member annoying, so I suppose read the room a little bit- try and be aware of whether the extent of your engagement is appreciated. But other than that, go ahead I guess.

van Wrote: So I'm curious to the authors here, what is your impression to a reader that comments in every chapter? Do you appreciate it, or is it considered spamming already and should be discouraged?
I love getting comments, whether it's feedback or just people making observations or speculating etc. To me it shows that readers are invested which is a great feeling for something I've spent so long working on.

van Wrote: Hello. I've been a reader lurker lately and on some fictions, I get invested in, I would comment as I read along with the story. It's okay on popular fiction here coz they already have a good amount of comments. But some fictions I follow have few or no comments, at all. And I feel like I might be annoying the author with the notifications when it could be just me making notifs over and over again.

So I'm curious to the authors here, what is your impression to a reader that comments in every chapter? Do you appreciate it, or is it considered spamming already and should be discouraged?
What!? Are you crazy!? We live for comments! OK, I live for comments but I am sure it is the same for many other authors out there. It shows us involvement, that our readers find our writing engaging enough to warrant a comment!

I love talking to my readers, discussing with them, having input for improvements. Please, don't shy away from commenting! 

All chapters commentors are always a boon.

Most are "thank you" commenters on each chapters. Which is fine and welcomed, getting cheered on is always nice. 

Then there are the typos hunters. They are a backbone too. They became writing companions, i need them to better my story and can't thank them enough for their time and willingness to spot all my failures. 

Then there are the ideas throwers. Some are good to get inspiration, bounce ideas and get a feeling of what readers think will happen. Which is always nice, to see if the readers are getting where you want them to be, ready to fall in the plot trap you've prepared for weeks. ^^

But all are welcomed, they are the reason why an author is publishing his work. 

I LOVE readers who comment every chapter. Commenting is a sign that readers are engaged. Not all engaged readers comment -- a lot of people get super into a story but just keep quiet or talk to their friends -- but it's the only evidence authors get that you're engaged.

Regular commenting is one of the most useful kinds of feedback an author can get. It's a lot more useful than reviews or ratings. What a reader remembers to put in a review, or thinks is worth mentioning in a review, is useful for other readers, but close to useless for authors. But commenting on every chapter, even just random comments about whatever's on your mind, lets us see what stands out to you in a particular chapter. Confused by something and ask in the comments? That's data; it tells us we're doing something right (if it's supposed to be a mystery) or wrong (if it isn't). Quoting your favourite funny line with a laugh emoji? That tells us which jokes are landing well and standing out. Keysmashing over a particular character being wronged? That tells us that you are resonating with that particular character. Writing theories over what you think might happen in the future? That gives us an idea of how well we've foreshadowed things and put the pieces in place. It tells us whether the audience is on the 'right track' (the track we want them to be on; this might be predicting the actual mystery or following a red herring, depending on the story) and lets us know which things in the story the audience thinks are important, and what they may have missed and we need to highlight again. These kinds of reactions are far, far more valuable than somebody getting to the end and trying to play backseat editor in reviews. (Although reviews are nice too. Anything that indicates engagement and gives some idea of audience experience is nice.)

It depends entirely on the comment. 

90% of my comments are simply "Thanks for the chapter", which is entirely fluff. It means nothing to me, and whether or not it is commented every chapter makes absolutely no difference. 

However, commenters who actually talk about the chapter, or add something "more" to their comment like replying to an author's notes, those guys are great. I love 'em. It's probably tiring to comment something like that every chapter though, which is why I don't expect anyone to comment every chapter. But if you do do that-- which some commenters do-- then you're awesome and deserve all the rep in the world. 

Every comment makes me smile, even if it's a simple thanks although something more personal is better, and reminds me that this is a good home for the stories I spend so many hours creating. And, as Derin_Edala says, it gives incredibly useful information about how it's coming across. I respond to every comment.

RR is full of abandoned stories and accounts that no longer post... authors, especially young or inexperienced ones, that gave up, but might have continued if they'd had a bit of engagement. That isn't a guilt trip, just an observation of the power of a few comments. 

I'm prone to getting caught up in stories and hitting Next Chapter without comment, but if it's otherwise very quiet, I'm trying to remember to leave a few just so they know I was there and enjoy it - after all, I'm getting to read something that enjoyable for free, and it's a low price to keep that author encouraged and creating more!

So please, readers, comment! It doesn't have to be clever, just let us know you're there!

Comments mean the world to an author. The reason why we post our hard work on the internet is because we want feedback and interaction. 

It's also the reason why an active Forum is so important to an author. Why post what you write if you can't talk about it with your fellow writers, readers and friends? 

That said, and of course this has been said before, the way Royal Road has its chapter layout formatted does not promote reader/writer interaction. That is really quite a shame, as it's an easy fix to implement. The Chapter format authors are forced to use here makes it seem as if Royal Road actively dissuades readers from commennting, reather than persuading them to. 

That makes me very sad. 😿

As you can see from the Comments being posted here, not promoting reader/writer comment interaction cuts deep into the hearts of a lot of my fellow authors. I really wish the staff of Royal Road would make some tweaks to the way Chapters are presented to readers, to make commenting less of a challenge, and to actively persuade readers to do so.

Then I would be glad! 😸  

And so would a lot of other authors I know. ❤😻❤

Comment. It lets us know that we're not writing in a vacuum. Even if it's just to say you're loving the story. If you want to add value to your comment say what in particular you like - is the interactions between character A & B - is it the world building? the way the story is developing? And what are you anticipating? I've had readers form all sorts of crazy theories which was awesome to read about. None of them were right, but it was still fun to read.