Re: How many chapters does a story need before you would start reading it?

I also go by page count. Usually over 400 pages, but sometimes I amend this based on a few conditions (e.g. for stories written by authors I like or if the synopsis really intrigues me). One of these other conditions is how frequently the last few updates have been. It's not a huge deal breaker for me, but I am much more likely to start a story that has been updating recently than one that seems to be petering out or on hiatus.

I don't know. I normally read stories at the beginning, then forget about them, and then come back to them... when they have more chapters... if they finish though, sometimes I completely lose them though sadly into the void because I don't see them update anymore

sadly I hate that my story is going to be so long T.T and that one statement scared the shit out of me. I don't want to die before my bookends I probably try to give you all conclusions if I know I'm going to die T.T 

but that is all very helpful information to know 

Seersucker Wrote: One. Any fewer than that and things become difficult.
This made me laugh.  

I must say as a new author on RR the large number of chapters needed to get readers is frightening.  Especially when you take into account people will become disenchanted with everything when they don’t have views.  I know, I know, don’t look at the stats and keep publishing.  

I will read anything that looks interesting regardless of numbers of chapters.  Yes, I get frustrated when something ends on a cliff hanger and I have to wait to find out what happens.  But I think that is part of the excitement.  Maybe I’m a masochist in that way.

I usually search for novels that have at least 800 pages, or around 100 chapters. I don't really have the patience to read a story chapter by chapter as it comes out, with very few exceptions. So I usually just binge read till the released chapter, drop it and maybe come back at a later date. The only novel that I started before 800 pages, is Beware the Chicken. 

1k pages, I hate being abandoned ._. 

For context, I started my Web serial/Web novel/Light novel journey by reading stuff on NU. At there the chapter count numbered in thousands which is good since I could gobble two standard novel-length in a day. I remember spending a better part of my two weeks reading one of the novel there (I forgot the title) which had two millions words under its belt (24-29 books on 275 words/page and 250-300 pages/book).

Though for RR, I realized my standard is unrealistic since if you sort novel by pages here (yeah I'm one of that people who did that folk), only top 50 maybe even pass the threshold, the rest is on 600-800. Which is disappointing since compared to NU or WN the quality is far far far better. I'm like one of those college kids who graduate from fast food and began ordering from pop-up/bistro when I found RR.

So, if I'm doing commitment, my standard here is 500 pages and not in hiatus. Sometimes I'll do a cursory read on trending (now rising star) or the latest updates, if the cover and the title tickled me.  

CookieCrumble Wrote: Though for RR, I realized my standard is unrealistic since if you sort novel by pages here (yeah I'm one of that people who did that folk), only top 50 maybe even pass the threshold, the rest is on 600-800. Which is disappointing since compared to NU or WN the quality is far far far better.
Do you mean that the quality of work on Royal Road is much better than those sites?

meteoraguy Wrote: Okay, on one hand, I understand being concerned that a new story might get abandoned. And I recently learned that RR readers tend to like having plenty to read. But the overwhelming preference for 100+ pages before even giving a new story a chance is very discouraging. If you'd rather read a book, why not just read a traditional novel that's guaranteed to have an ending?

Isn't the appeal of web fiction being able to follow a story "live" as chapters are posted?

The lack of support for new fiction is a very significant variable in stories being abandoned. I know it's ultimately the writer's "fault" for choosing to drop a story. But if readers are going to use being paranoid about being ghosted by writers as an excuse not to read something new, maybe they should provide more feedback when they do read something.

As a reader, I try to support new stories and comment when I can.

As a writer, I'm doing my part to reduce my abandoned fiction footprint by actually working on an ending before letting my story go.
I hear ya, which is why I have strict requirements for ongoing. Which usually means the person has to be known to complete their work, or if I know them.

One of the ways a work never got finished, was when the author died. I always think about this, and it makes me hesitant to even pick up an ongoing work. 

However, when I read something, I tend to comment. Unfortunately, lately I haven’t had time to read. If it is not studying, it is rewriting. If it is not rewriting, it is me studying the system of R.R. If it is not that, it is certainly a range of other things.

At some point though, I do plan to go through the list of works that just fell outta existence, and give it a read. 

meteoraguy Wrote: Okay, on one hand, I understand being concerned that a new story might get abandoned. And I recently learned that RR readers tend to like having plenty to read. But the overwhelming preference for 100+ pages before even giving a new story a chance is very discouraging. If you'd rather read a book, why not just read a traditional novel that's guaranteed to have an ending?

Isn't the appeal of web fiction being able to follow a story "live" as chapters are posted?

The lack of support for new fiction is a very significant variable in stories being abandoned. I know it's ultimately the writer's "fault" for choosing to drop a story. But if readers are going to use being paranoid about being ghosted by writers as an excuse not to read something new, maybe they should provide more feedback when they do read something.

As a reader, I try to support new stories and comment when I can.

As a writer, I'm doing my part to reduce my abandoned fiction footprint by actually working on an ending before letting my story go.

What could help writers not abandon their work, is to write the work before posting it. Despite my project being an ongoing web novel published chapter by chapter, I been writing the manuscript off site first, so it is on the road to completion already. 

To me it sounds like some writers make a promise they cannot keep. I believe even for Web Serials, that the work should be in the semi complete to complete range before posting anything up. 

JeneClyde Wrote: What could help writers not abandon their work, is to write the work before posting it. Despite my project being an ongoing web novel published chapter by chapter, I been writing the manuscript off site first, so it is on the road to completion already. 

To me it sounds like some writers make a promise they cannot keep. I believe even for Web Serials, that the work should be in the semi complete to complete range before posting anything up.
Yep, ya know, I used to give multiple ways that can help someone stay consistent to the end. Each covering various styles, and how it can work with their schedule. Reason I stopped? Well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. In short, no matter how many different ways I can suggest. That can work with their style of writing, as well as schedule. It tends not to matter, diligence is the key.

Ya know, aside from the small chance an author kicks the bucket. 

They need to have the drive to write, even when things are at a low. One of the most common ways to try and ensure what you put out will eventually fully be out there, is to write it offline as you said. Which I do recommend myself. Web-novel or not, I always say, finish what you start. 

When you finish something, it increases the likelihood of completing another work. Eventually, you build yourself up to the point of where you will stick it through to the end. 

meteoraguy Wrote: I agree that it might be better to write a complete story before posting, but it's not very practical if the expectation is 100+ pages and who knows how many chapters before anyone will be satisfied with a Complete tag attached to the story. If readers are waiting for writers to prove themselves by completing something first (but the same readers have a preference for stories with word counts up the wazoo), both parties will be waiting a very long time.

The writing process is very lonely whether you do it "offline" or after you've started posting with a release schedule. It'll just be you working on the story for days until it's ready for public consumption. You persevere, thinking once it's complete and you share it with the world, people will read it. But even after you start releasing your complete work one chapter at a time, it's more days of silence and talking to yourself and waiting for readers to give it a chance.

But they're "waiting" too. Waiting for an arbitrary number of chapters/words before bothering to look at it.

So, it doesn't really matter if the whole thing is already done behind the scenes. It will take you a very long time to get there unless you release every single chapter of your story at once. And for what? This isn't Netflix. I thought the idea was to release a chapter at a time. Maybe weekly. Maybe a few times a week. What's the point in having a release schedule if readers are waiting for a complete book?

It's almost worse than traditional publishing, and many of us are doing this for free.

I didn't realize there was an expectation of 100 pages or more, to be honest. I apply the, it's done when its done method. Hahaha. If that's 100 pages, 50 pages, it's done when it's done. 

I think right now the literature industry is in a weird place. A lot of people see Wattpad as lower quality, and Royal Road in some vein I think a lot of people see a web novel as lesser than a published book. But Web Serialization has been going on for years. In fact novels in the past, were sometimes published chapter by chapter through a magazine. There is a longstanding actual history when it comes to web serial. 

However, I wait till my work is complete or near complete to post because I have ADHD and Autism so I have a tendency to hyperfocus on things. So that keeps me on track with schedules and release dates, editing, and being on track.