Re: How do you guys go about editing your work?

Proxy's Wrote: Kind of curious how other people do it, so let's discuss.
I would go through it line by line with an audio reader. When you hear something, it becomes easier to detect mistakes. This is how I can edit on the same day and catch most mistakes. At a later point I will be able to find the rest once going through it once again. Just remember, if it doesn’t sound right out loud, it probably ain’t correct. 

Before I used to wait a day or so, but once I got an audio reader, it made things a whole lot easier.

I have a (very low) monthly word quota and once I reach it and get to the next natural stopping point I'm not allowed to write any more story that month. This means I finish my month's writing about 15-20 days in.

At the end of the month, I read, edit, and schedule the chapters for upload.

So, I write 15-20k words, set it aside for 10-15 days, then read and fix any mistakes before upload. This is the extent of my editing process; it's not a particularly thorough one.

Seersucker Wrote: I like to write it, give it a day then edit it and put it in my drafts. Then the day I have it scheduled to release I'll go over it one more time. It usually winds up relatively solid after that, but honestly it's impossible to make it perfect no matter how much I nitpick.

I yeah, I find myself trying to make any chapter I write to be perfect, but there's still bound to be a mistake or two left. I learned to accept that it won't be perfect, but I still try to iron it out as best as possible.

Edge Wrote:
I would go through it line by line with an audio reader. When you hear something, it becomes easier to detect mistakes. This is how I can edit on the same day and catch most mistakes. At a later point I will be able to find the rest once going through it once again. Just remember, if it doesn’t sound right out loud, it probably ain’t correct. 

Before I used to wait a day or so, but once I got an audio reader, it made things a whole lot easier.

Using audio reading? That sounds like a neat idea. I usually speak the lines out loud to myself when it seems strange, but I might look into Audio reading.

Proxy's Wrote: Using audio reading? That sounds like a neat idea. I usually speak the lines out loud to myself when it seems strange, but I might look into Audio reading.
Yep, I also read out loud after making corrections to specific parts. This catches most mistakes, but nonetheless, it is likely you’ll miss something either way. This simply keeps mistakes to a minimum, and at a later point, go through it once more. I do a lot of editing, so I had to find some way to make it easier.

I write about three chapters at a time for my Patreon releases. I write the first draft one scene at a time (i.e., I'm just focusing on making that scene the best it can be, and not necessarily worrying about everything else), and that first draft takes me anywhere from one to two weeks for three chapters.

The second draft takes about two days, and that drastically improves the quality of the writing, as well as improving the internal consistency and the transitions and sequence from one scene to the next, as well as from one chapter to the next. By the end of the second draft, the order of the scenes is generally locked into place.

The third and fourth drafts are mostly spent on polishing up the language. These are also the drafts where I generally catch and fix anything that felt a bit wrong when I was writing it, but where I couldn't figure out a fix at the time. I'll also occasionally give either the third draft or fourth draft to a group of beta readers, who I selected from patrons who've given me both positive and negative feedback in the past (and for the feedback, they had given me both feedback I agreed with and feedback I didn't agree with--because I wanted to get different perspectives).

The fourth draft is the one that gets posted on Patreon and here.

After a book is complete, I do three more full drafts (drafts five, six, and seven).

The fifth draft is for doing a significant polish on the language, since it's been so long that I now have a new perspective and can come up with different ways of wording things. This draft also helps me re-familiarize myself with all the content in the book (again, because it's been a while).

The sixth and seventh drafts will continue polishing the language, but their primary purpose is to re-check the internal consistency across the entire book, as well as across the series as a whole (so they involve re-reading previous books as well as spot-checking specific scenes in the new books I'm currently writing).

The seventh draft is the one that I publish as an ebook and paperback.

I usually do at least two editing passes; the first one is for paragraph/style type stuff, where I move sentences around, cut repetition and wordiness, clarify descriptions, tweak the pacing and mood, all that.

If I have time, I'll let it sit a bit after that.

The second is for spelling, grammar, punctuation, fixing all the half-sentences and paragraph fragments I made in the first pass. If I didn't have time to let it sit and I really need to get this right (for a short story contest or something) I'll read backwards - it forces me to focus and makes it much easier to spot missing words and such. My brain just kinda auto-edits otherwise, which is great for immersion, but awful for editing.

I'll usually do one pass of each, but if I changed a lot on the first pass I'll go back over things again. I try not to edit too much, though; partially because I kinda hate it, and partially because I feel like too much editing can remove a certain naturalness that comes in the first draft.

I do mainly 1 or 2 editing phases. First, I namely fix any spelling errors in my word document (Scrinever), then I do a grammar/etc pass in Grammarly, and glance/guestimate any advanced errors it finds with the premium options. Then I do a second pass in gdocs. That's about it. I schedule/publish it on webserials afterwards.

edit: this whole process takes about a hour at best, 2 rarely. I usually immediately start editing after I actually finish a chapter, which can take a whole week. My more recent chapters are like 3-4k words lately. I very rarely if ever "kill my darlings". It's all generally first-take.

I would second all the people suggesting that reading work aloud is a great way to catch errors. It’s also a good way to catch stiff or unrealistic dialogue. 

I try to leave one day per 1000 words between when I write and when I edit. So if a short story is 6k, I leave a week between me and it before editing. This breaks down a bit when it’s novel length stuff, but at least a month after the end of a novel sized project. 

I’m terrible at catching grammatical stuff, but fortunately I have two friends who beta read for me that live for fixing those kinds of things. 

In terms of books on editing, I really recommend The 10% Solution by Ken Rand (and it’s pretty cheap as a Kindle ebook). It’s short, full of practical advice and techniques, and it really helps you dig out some bad habits you might not realise you’ve developed. 

First off. I often recommend reading through it a few times. Each time looking for various things. Character, world, rule inconsistencies. Illogical actions and impossiblities. Poorly phrased things or bad bits of writing. These three are general the run through I find most useful, then once fixed, a final read through. Once done, then the grammar and spelling fixes....I often don't do this as thoroughly as I want, given my weekly upload schedule and personality....but I recommend the attempt. It also has given me ideas before when considering certain things like what someone said or did.

First, I write the chapter(advanced chapter, since I'm actually like ten chapters ahead in my backlog), then, when the time for that chapter comes many weeks later, I practically do a completer rewrite(a two-day process), leaving a few things that seem fine enough, then I use a text to speech site to listen to my crappy writing and make some other minor changes, then I run it through Grammarly and Prowritingaid, and that's it. After that, it's posting time...

It's a trade secret, so don't tell anyone. Or I'll become a ghost writer and come after you in your sleep...

Edge Wrote:

Can I know what software/application did you use? If you don't mind telling me...