Re: I just got the worst rating.

I know someone made a forum about ratings, but I couldn't refind it, so here I am.  My experience on Royal Road has been a mix of amazing, encouraging fans and people that make me feel very poorly.  While my story, A City of One,  has built up a fanbase that satisfies me, my Oderria's Last Light series, which is near and dear to my heart, is struggling, to say the least.  This is mostly because I have only advertised the former so far, but in this early stage, the 1-star rating I just received will drastically diminish my chances of building some popularity.  No one wants to read an unpopular story with a bad rating.  What makes this even more frustrating is that, other than the single bad rating, all others have been fairly good.

If I had to guess, this person didn't like some of the story's morals, but to give it 1-star because one disagrees with a part of the whole is not okay.

Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, what did you do to get around it?

Sincerely, Wile

Wilewriter17 Wrote: I know someone made a forum about ratings, but I couldn't refind it, so here I am.  My experience on Royal Road has been a mix of amazing, encouraging fans and people that make me feel very poorly.  While my story, A City of One,  has built up a fanbase that satisfies me, my Oderria's Last Light series, which is near and dear to my heart, is struggling, to say the least.  This is mostly because I have only advertised the former so far, but in this early stage, the 1-star rating I just received will drastically diminish my chances of building some popularity.  No one wants to read an unpopular story with a bad rating.  What makes this even more frustrating is that, other than the single bad rating, all others have been fairly good.

If I had to guess, this person didn't like some of the story's morals, but to give it 1-star because one disagrees with a part of the whole is not okay.

Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, what did you do to get around it?

Sincerely, Wile

It happens, if you want to counter the 1 star, do review swaps. Best way to save a story is to put in effort to do so. There is nothing that will stop someone from giving a story a low score, it happens. Hell, now and then I get readers that can’t see something right in front of them. Just keep working at it, if you really love your work, then do everything you can to get it out there. 

Also, one way I did manage to save my series is by rewriting it. Every time I did that, not only did the work get better, but tons came flooding in. 

1-star and .5-star bombing is normal. Shake it off and keep going, it happens to us all. If you're worried about your average, do some review swaps (in my experience the people swapping are usually pretty honest in their ratings so if your story is high quality then this will solve your problem).

A single 1-star rating won't affect your popularity because that puts you on an even playing field, everyone gets them. It sucks but it means you just gotta put a bit of work in (via swaps and marketing) to bring up your average rating to actually reflect your average reader's feelings again.

I can turn off my rating's visibility?  Hm, I don't know if I'd do that.  That could be a good idea in theory, but it could also make people think I have a bad rating, hence the disablement.

Also, just wanted to say, it's good to know a lot of people have gone through this and get it.  All of your thoughts have been very helpful and encouraging, so thank you all for that.

On the ratings, some people say they're important and some say they are not.  For me, I guess it's hard to know who's right, but since so many people are saying ratings do not matter too much, here's a question that may help me to figure it out for myself: Has anyone here built a decent fanbase whilst having a rating of 3 stars or lower?

Wilewriter17 Wrote: I can turn off my rating's visibility?  Hm, I don't know if I'd do that.  That could be a good idea in theory, but it could also make people think I have a bad rating, hence the disablement.

Nah...

The rating still exists, only you can't see it. Everyone else can. Kinda a peace of mind mechanism. If you can't see, you wouldn't always worry. At least, that's the idea, though I don't know how much success it has in execution. As for how to do it, you can do it through your dashboard. Just scroll down on the fiction section on the left side(or right, if you account for the monitor's POV), go to settings, click, scroll down. You'll find Disable rating status right there...

Unfortunately some people just won't like your story. Each person has their own individual preferences. Unless it is both a large number AND a large majority of the people reading your story, wouldn't be too worried about it. Even the best authors of best-selling books on Amazon can have quite a few incredibly harsh reviews on their books on their Amazon book page. I remember reading somewhere that Amazon was nicer, but when I checked the best seller list the large number of harsh reviews can be pretty crazy.

However, if there is both a large number AND a large majority of the people reading your story who leave bad ratings; you might want to try and find someone who likes your genre to give some honest and blunt feedback.

TeddyStonehill Wrote: I once got a blatantly homophobic review, which was pretty disheartening to say the least.

If you really believe in your story, just keep writing it. Readers who like what you're trying to do will like it. Those who don't, won't. You can't win over everyone, especially if you're writing kind of a niche story.

If you get a review like that you should report it. The admins will address it, but the site activity is too large for them to individually read each review that goes up. Reporting it will not only get blatantly homophobic reviews taken down, but also help ensure this site is not known for such things. Who knows, maybe this person might have done this with other similar stories.

msng Wrote: If you get a review like that you should report it. The admins will address it, but the site activity is too large for them to individually read each review that goes up. Reporting it will not only get blatantly homophobic reviews taken down, but also help ensure this site is not known for such things. Who knows, maybe this person might have done this with other similar stories.

I actually did report it was taken down fairly quickly. Sorry, I should've included that detail in my first response. It was just disheartening to read it, even when I was able to have it taken down. I do really appreciate how admin handled that situation, though.

Crusixblade Wrote: Yeah, just report reviews that are breaking the rules. I fine if someone hates my story and writes out why, but that is no excuse to break the rules either.

Agreed.
TeddyStonehill Wrote:
msng Wrote: If you get a review like that you should report it. The admins will address it, but the site activity is too large for them to individually read each review that goes up. Reporting it will not only get blatantly homophobic reviews taken down, but also help ensure this site is not known for such things. Who knows, maybe this person might have done this with other similar stories.

I actually did report it was taken down fairly quickly. Sorry, I should've included that detail in my first response. It was just disheartening to read it, even when I was able to have it taken down. I do really appreciate how admin handled that situation, though.

I can imagine how disheartening it was to read it. Glad it was sorted out. 

Don't worry, it shouldn't hinder your story too much. Early on soemone gave mine a 0.5, putting me at a 3 average for quite some time.

But readers kept coming and eventually, the number of 5 was enough to counter balance that one 0.5. 

Just keep posting regurlarly and it will get better. Trolls aren't a representative sample of the average readerbase. 

I remember waking up in December 2019 to see my story Hands Held in the Snow finally approved and published a few hours earlier... and a 0.5 rating already.

99% of the time, people who rate 0.5 or 1 star never actually read the book; they have something personal against it, or they're trolling, or in higher-ranked stories they just want to boost the rankings of something else. Don't be hard on yourself when you get low ratings, because you'll usually never figure out the real meaning behind it.