Re: Writer looking to read

Hey everyone, 

I started writing on the site a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed doing so. I realized though that I haven't read anything by other people and want to give a shot to contribute more to the community.

I like scifi, fantasy and horror. I don't like litrpg, but if something's exceptional I'll give it a shot. I also don't mind if somethings on its first chapter, I'd actually prefer it. My favorite things to read always involve unique concepts and I like reading about negotiations and intrigue as much as I like combat and action.

Feel free to recommend your own stories too, I will make a special effort to give stories recommended by other authors at least a quick look.

Seersucker Wrote: Hey everyone, 

I started writing on the site a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed doing so. I realized though that I haven't read anything by other people and want to give a shot to contribute more to the community.

I like scifi, fantasy and horror. I don't like litrpg, but if something's exceptional I'll give it a shot. I also don't mind if somethings on its first chapter, I'd actually prefer it. My favorite things to read always involve unique concepts and I like reading about negotiations and intrigue as much as I like combat and action.

Feel free to recommend your own stories too, I will make a special effort to give stories recommended by other authors at least a quick look.
You might enjoy my book,

Restoration(Book 1)

The trilogy is currently under reconstruction, but the first book is done with, so you can read that one from start to end. 219.7k words.

Combination of epic, high and dark fantasy.
Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/33997/restorationbook-1

If you want to check out some others.

The Courting of Life and Death

It is a contemporary romance, but has low dark fantasy elements to it.

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/32947/the-courting-of-life-and-death

Hands Held in the Snow

This one is a lighter read, so if you want something enjoyable and hilarious as well. I can recommend this. 

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/28970/hands-held-in-the-snow

Thick as Thieves

This is a low fantasy one, and really a more lighter read in all reality.

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/41780/thick-as-thieves

Unhallowed

If you want horror, that is what I will recommend.

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/42801/unhallowed

Hi there! I’ve got an ongoing dark fantasy/mystery adventure in the works. I’ve actually been working on it since 2019 but only recently joined RR so there’s only 4 chapters here at the moment. What I have posted currently is older and admittedly a bit flawed, but it may still be a fun read for you! Feel free to give it a try if you want! (Or don’t, I don’t run your life)

I'll join in on the self-promo thread.

My story is a complete trilogy and the webnovel isn't long for this word (sent book 1 off to be professionally edited last week).

It's got quite a bit of intrigue as well as action, with book 1's set up being inspired heavily by stories such as 'Yojimbo' and 'A Fistful of Dollars'.

Seersucker Wrote: Hey everyone, 

You can give mine a shot.
It's a fantasy world, has demons, monsters, magic, no litrpg (can't really get into that category all that much). The races aren't typical fantasy RPG either, no elves and dwarves and what not, there are humans and then there are variations of humans that have some kind of animalistic feature. (dragon scales for the two MC's) They also get a few of the animals traits. There's also a lot of rules placed on magic so that it's not completely broken, and can have huge effects on the people that overuse it. It's set in a medieval era but the books I have planned will go through multiple time periods.

I'll give a quick synopsis of the story with no spoilers: The two mc's are running away from some guy, who is clearly a psychopath, from making them 'volunteer' for the Royal Knights so they can avoid being in the middle of the second Human/Demon war.

Not everyone's cup of tea but you might enjoy it. It's in my signature.

Seersucker Wrote: Thank you for the recommendations! It'll probably take me awhile to work my way through them, but you should probably expect a comment notification here and there or a new follower. If not, it just wasn't for me, and you'll at least have another view.
Looking forward to your thoughts, positive or negative. The only person to comment on my fiction is my gf so it doesn’t really count. And if you didn’t like it, I understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea so it’s no big deal.

Here are a couple stories I would consider well written that aren't LitRPG.

Desolada, by Ikal92 - a dark timeloop-ish (in one-hour increments) fantasy grounded in philosophical concepts. More action than intrigue, but there's a bit here and there.

The Simulacrum by Egathentale - a slice-of-life-ish comedy romance with a big mystery in the background; the MC has no memory and seems to be in a constructed world. Worth reading just for the banter and meta-discussion. It's not a deconstruction or a parody; it does play with tropes, but it's mostly just genre-savvy.

Fair warning: the MC does end up with two girlfriends, despite there being no harem tag. Make of that what you will. (I think there's an argument to be made that two does not equal a harem, although I think the author maybe should have added that tag anyways, since it's a big trigger for a lot of people.)

And here's a GameLit, although not really a LitRPG:

Vaudevillain by Tetran. I don't remember a single blue screen with numbers, stats have no bearing on the story or plot, the MC isn't out to climb leader boards or become a pro gamer or anything; it's about a guy who starts playing a joke character in a VRMMO and discovers he enjoys acting zany and ridiculous. He legit spends most of his time plotting how to lose to the heroes in an entertaining manner. Most of the actual conflict comes in from how the other players perceive him (is he a troll? Is he serious?) and how the game company perceives him (he kinda works around the rules, but he's not really ban-able.) It's all very light-hearted and silly, but there is enough of a serious undercurrent to it.

I haven't read the latest few arcs, but I really do like the concept, and the writing is solid.

And, just to round things out, a xianxia:

Ave Xia Rem Y by MatHaz. The title is made from 'A Very Cliche Xianxia Harem Story', so you should know exactly what you're getting into, trope-wise. :P I will say, though, that this is not the sort of story that runs cliches into the ground - it's the sort of story that popularized those cliches popular in the first place. Despite very little novelty in it's tropes, the whole thing is so neatly constructed and smoothly executed that I would put it above any number of it's predecessors. It's xianxia with a soul, not by-the-numbers.

It's pretty heavy on power politics and intrigue. There's enough fighting, too, but it's less of a focus.

Hopefully there's something you enjoy there. All of these stories have shown dedication to updating regularly over a fair amount of time, so I don't think they'll be easily dropped.

I'll go ahead and recommend my story, The Girl from the Mountain, since it hits on a lot of your interests. The book is post-apocalyptic science fiction with elements of cosmic horror. Think Carrie and The Stand with twists of Tom Clancy and H.P. Lovecraft. You'll find plenty of combat and action sequences but later chapters also include a good deal of diplomacy and negotiations as alliances and objectives begin shifting. If you end up giving it a look, I hope you enjoy!

You can try mine. I'm fairly new here so it would be great if my novel got some attention. It's in a medieval fantasy setting where the fantasy starts with a low fantasy where people are mostly unaware of the supernatural elements. 

It has more than one main character. Also, it will have slight rpg type setting in far future with one of the main characters, but that’s not that highlighted as it is in your average rpg settings. Usually, the entire plot in those settings revolve around this system. However, that is not the case for my story. 

First main character is someone who has been cursed by the gods and due to that curse, he is relentlessly pursued by the demons, ghouls and beings from another world. He is on a journey to take revenge on the gods.

Another mc is a prophet with nigh-omniscience.

Then, there will be another mc from where the focus will be on Kingdom politics among royalties and nobles.  Somewhat similar to Game of Thrones in this mc. What will happen when this forces of evil meets the powerful kings with armies?  What about all their internal conflicts and conspiracies? 

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/44446/against-the-gods-and-demons