Re: Warning about an app

I haven't verified this personally, but it comes from a source I trust.

There's an app called Novelstar. They offer web fiction, for a price - judging by the reviews, a high, per-chapter price. They are apparently offering plagiarized content from Wattpad, at least, with a different author and title but identical text, and they are refusing to take it down despite a DMCA request. To see whether they have anything of yours is difficult, since you have to install and log into the app (which has a very, um, broad privacy policy) and then see if you can find it with a possible change of title and author. I gather they don't have a great history of paying authors who voluntarily post their work.

I'm not your mom, and as I said, I haven't personally verified this and I have no personal association with the app in any sense. I'm passing this on as a PSA in case anyone was considering trying it.

I'm hoping this is an okay thing to post. Info cuts down on scams.

I think if this app/plataforms won't respond to their DMCA's, in this case they may have to report the app to disputers. Meaning, skip going to them and go directly to Google Play or the Apple store and report the app for copyright violations. 

Edit: Also, I think if anyone who has had their stories taken, or know the titles of the stories taken, it might be of some benefit to warn people away from using the app.

Edge Wrote: Yeah, I know of this app. Thing is, I would have reported it by now, problem is…I cannot find the report button or a proper way to do it.

If you use google play, here is the link.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2853570?visit_id=637601579942893360-2068257149&p=report_content&rd=1

However, if you want to report them for copyright violations, you have to be a writer whose right has been infringed. Anyone else won't be allowed to report it. If that is the case, the only thing you can do is spread the word, find the real writers, or warn people away from using the app.

L.J.Anders Wrote: However, if you want to report them for copyright violations, you have to be a writer whose right has been infringed. Anyone else won't be allowed to report it. If that is the case, the only thing you can do is spread the word, find the real writers, or warn people away from using the app.
Ah, that sucks. Especially since I can prove it as well. This seriously needs to be revised, so that other users can have the ability to report on the behalf of another. If they can prove it of course. 

L.J.Anders Wrote: That's to protect them legally because they can get in trouble for doing that. In fact, all platforms have to follow it because that's Federal law. That's why the owner of the copyright has to write the claim. The best thing to do is to contact the writer and let them handle it.
Yeah, I can see how it can be abused. However, here comes in another problem. When it is an app taking works from authors. I suppose those writers would all have to report the app to get it removed. 

Edge Wrote: Yeah, I can see how it can be abused. However, here comes in another problem. When it is an app taking works from authors. I suppose those writers would all have to report the app to get it removed.

Yes. I don't know how many warnings that Google play gives to app developer when it comes to violations such as copyright. But, if you make a big enough stink about it, they will have to do something about it.