Re: How to keep your motivation strong?

For the longest time, I've wanted to write a story and since I enjoy fantasy-related genres, I settled on that. I've already done nearly all the world-building, major plot devices, major characters, and method of storytelling in planning. However, as soon as I started writing the chapters I felt burnt out somehow. It's not that I don't want to write it, because I really do, but it takes forever for me to get into the mood to write. I have plenty of time throughout the day, but I barely put in 30 minutes if any every day. If anyone has any idea or tips on what I can do to improve my writing motivation, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Everyone has their own method. Some people plan everything out in advance and then sort of colour in the outlines they've created. Some people create basic info and start writing with no clear plan. There are countless variations. It pretty much comes down to experimentation and experience to figure out what works for you.

What your describing reminds me of what happens if I spend too long on outlining: I get bored with the project, because I already know what's going to happen. It stops being fun or exciting.

You could try writing something different, to see if that stimulates your interest. Once you're back in the swing of it and have a chance to clear your head, your original idea might appeal to you again.

Some people advise forcing yourself to write every day without fail, even if you don't produce much. For some, it works, but I'm wary of that, since it can potentially lead to just not wanting to do it at all anymore. Sometimes it's better just to take a break, walk away, and come back when you do feel like it.

Motivation's a tricky thing. Ultimately, you need your own reasons to write, whatever they turn out to be. Recognition isn't guaranteed - although virtually anything will find an audience of some sort. Even if you do get an audience, writing still means spending a lot of time alone with your own characters, and if you don't enjoy the company, it's going to be a constant battle against pastimes with quicker rewards. Writing is amazing - I've been addicted to it for over 30 years - but no one else can tell you why you're writing.

Sorry - there's no single one-size-fits-all answer. :-) Every writer's unique.

Thank you so much for giving an answer. I completely understand what you're saying and you're right. I have spent a lot of time outlining without actually writing anything of substance for the story. I'm not too sure about writing something else since I'm a complete novice and just coming up with this idea to write was a spark of the moment that I decided to follow through with. However, I think I will take a short break, and perhaps in a few days my motivation with light up again. I don't really need to worry about my audience since I actually wasn't planning on uploading my story anywhere. This was just going to be a fun side hobby for my own pleasure, but my brother insisted I put it out there. I am with you there that writing is amazing, I've always enjoyed all kinds of art, and writing itself is a wonderful form of it.

It's worth pointing out that if you want to write, most of your writing is going to happen when you aren't inspired. Kicks of inspired motivation are great, but a lot of the time, writing feels somewhere between mildly enjoyable once you get into it to a bit humdrum, and sometimes it's just a slog and you have to do it anyway. The hard part is telling the difference between 'I've had a lot of slog days but need to keep going anyway' and 'I'm pushing myself too hard and will burn out'. Finding a method that works for you, that's productive and usually fun and won't burn you out, comes with trial and error.

It sounds like the specific problem you're having might be just being a new writer. Writing is a skill, and when you're finding your feet it's a lot harder than it looks. Worldbuilding is really easy and high-reward in terms of creativity; writing is a lot harder (at first) and feels less rewarding in the moment because you're doing more work to 'create' less of your world and story. So it's not unusual to get super into worldbuilding, start writing, and quickly get demotivated.

If this is the problem, the good news is that it's a temporary one. Writing gets easier (and more fun and less exhausting) with practice.

Desrin_Edala, that actually makes me feel a lot better because you completely nailed my situation. I went way overboard with the world-building and planning since it felt easy for me to just barf these ideas onto paper. I think I'm already around 5000 words into my planning with still way more to go. I tend to just write down every little detail I come up with just so I don't forget later on. Though part of me is thinking that if I came up with it and don't write it down, then forget it, was it really a good world-building or plot device? Anyways, I'm glad that this seems to be a common problem within new writers and it makes sense that it could turn out this way. I'm still planning on taking a short break but I won't give up!

PrimePrismatic Wrote: For the longest time, I've wanted to write a story and since I enjoy fantasy-related genres, I settled on that. I've already done nearly all the world-building, major plot devices, major characters, and method of storytelling in planning. However, as soon as I started writing the chapters I felt burnt out somehow. It's not that I don't want to write it, because I really do, but it takes forever for me to get into the mood to write. I have plenty of time throughout the day, but I barely put in 30 minutes if any every day. If anyone has any idea or tips on what I can do to improve my writing motivation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Take it little by little. One of the things you will come to notice, or have noticed. Is that, there will be times where you don’t want to write. Thing is, even if you don’t write much, always do something. With a solid enough plan, then even if you bleed out the words, it should turn out relatively well. At least that has been in my experience. Right now, I am at a point where I want to take a break from writing, but at the same time, I have a goal in mind. The result being, I write something each and every day. Slowly but surely, I will reach my goal. 

One way to help things along though. Is that, after you write something, go do something else for sometime. After some hours of that, you can jump back into the writing process. That or, plan your day accordingly. Do something else first, then write, or write first, then do whatever else you want to do. Most importantly however, try to write something. 

I think you mentally set for yourself that working on your story = writing all that worldbuilding and other planning. And as an addition, after writing all that, you essentially spoiled the story for yourself by setting so much in stone. Maybe treat the outline you wrote as the previous work and your first draft as the next one, that way you'll ease the feeling of obligation to follow it and return some of the sense of exploration.

I would say that one thing to remember is that you don't need to write your story from the beginning. It may help to just write some of the scenes you're most excited about as a way to start getting pen to paper or fingers on a keyboard. 

Aside from that I would just pick a time in the day and just tell yourself you'll write 15 minutes. If you feel like stopping after those 15, then do, but if you're feeling a bit more inspired then you can write another 15. I've heard a lot of good things about this method.