Re: What is the most unlikeable character you have ever written?

Just a character all the others completely dislikes, not necessarily a villain but a character that is just not enjoyable to be around. I'll start it off:

I'm backlogging a spin-off of my main fiction. And through most of the story the MC his personality is as enjoyable as eating a brick covered in moss and maggots. He's just an ass from a family of noble warriors that is famous for fighting monsters that are a huge threat to humanity, and every time a request comes up he complains and swears at them for not being able to take care of it themselves, and is just an ass about everything honestly, he'll still do the job but he's pissy about it the entire time. When the MC's of the main book meet him they get a similar reaction of disgust by his personality, and only hang around him for a little bit because his travelling partner is overly welcoming and the exact opposite of him.

That's an easy one: Elena, the primary antagonist from my novel Yin-Yang. She's an appalling bigot with an utter lack of empathy and a vindictive streak. She considers people born with the mage gift, like her, to be the pinacle of evolution, regular ungifted humans are unimportant, and sensitives, who have a passive ability useful to mages, are basically livestock. She considers the mage family the heroes come from to be corrupt, immoral, and seditious because they see sensitives as people. Very few people like her, only those who tend to share her prejudices and even some of them consider her too extreme, but many people are afraid of her, because she managed to gain a position of authority and power. Getting into her head to write her chapters was genuinely unpleasant and disturbing (I am not going back in there!). To her, all of it makes perfect sense and her way would lead to peace and order all around, if everyone else could just see that she's right.

Prysmcat Wrote: That's an easy one: Elena, the primary antagonist from my novel Yin-Yang. She's an appalling bigot with an utter lack of empathy and a vindictive streak. She considers people born with the mage gift, like her, to be the pinacle of evolution, regular ungifted humans are unimportant, and sensitives, who have a passive ability useful to mages, are basically livestock. She considers the mage family the heroes come from to be corrupt, immoral, and seditious because they see sensitives as people. Very few people like her, only those who tend to share her prejudices and even some of them consider her too extreme, but many people are afraid of her, because she managed to gain a position of authority and power. Getting into her head to write her chapters was genuinely unpleasant and disturbing (I am not going back in there!). To her, all of it makes perfect sense and her way would lead to peace and order all around, if everyone else could just see that she's right.

I feel the main antagonist's from our books would have a wonderful friendship.

Haha! Yes! This is an interesting topic! I'd have to say Brad/Proten is my most unlikeable. He's the all American jock, poster boy for the Government team of heroes. But he's a bit of a jerk in particular to one of his colleagues- but there is a reason for it, a genuine one that justifies why and so I like to think this might challenge the reader into perhaps sympathising with him on a level.

Saying that, his levels of jerk status go way up in tomorrow's bonus upload which will have a big impact on the next two regular uploads and then further into the next season/volume. I'm in the middle of writing season three and even in that he's still goin' through it. I have really enjoyed putting him through the wringer and I am kinda hoping that he comes across better by the end of it. 

I believe in redemption, but you gotta work for it. 

In one of my reviews, the reviewer says "But seriously, f*** Proten.

Currently, Sig. He's obsessed with the creation story of the genetically superior species he belongs to and how to make them even better/look human so they can infiltrate Human society. He's so absorbed by it he's willing to risk intergalactic war and experiment on sapient beings. He's a disgusting specimen of a generally disgusting society. Many of his own people find him abhorrent, too.

OwlishIntergalactic Wrote: Currently, Sig. He's obsessed with the creation story of the genetically superior species he belongs to and how to make them even better/look human so they can infiltrate Human society. He's so absorbed by it he's willing to risk intergalactic war and experiment on sapient beings. He's a disgusting specimen of a generally disgusting society. Many of his own people find him abhorrent, too.

I'm trying to imagine him meeting my Elena... I think I would prefer to be a long way off and observe that remotely. Possibly from another planet.

That's...honestly a tough one for me. I try to write all my characters to be human enough to be at least understandable....Except Solipsis. But I don't know if the shape shifting soul eating monster with a love of fire and travel rations is...unlikable.

DrakanSigh  I hope it's not the MC of my main story though...but sometimes I worry it is because people seem to be happy with the torment I put him through...

A character in my fiction named Zhui Dong, though it's written as Dong Zhui, and usually shortened to simply the title Don by most other characters. 

He's the adoptive father of one of the protagonists and simply put, his characteristics are loosely based on Norman Stansfield from the movie "Léon: The Professional". Part of his character is also based on the real-life Dong Zhuo from the Chinese Eastern Han/Three Kingdoms era. He's basically just Dong Zhuo in space... as a space pirate yakuza warlord. That's a mouthful. 

Zhui has something of an unhinged psycho personality and is utterly estranged from his adoptive daughter (the deuteragonist Li Chou). He's also paranoid about his powerbase being challenged which is one of the subplots in Li's character arc.

I actually kinda hated writing most of his interactiosn with other characters, and especially Li in particular. Zhui's mannerism was also based on the Norman character. In later chapters, I toned down his extreme unhingedness a few notches since I felt that Li was suffering too much enough as is, and for my own sanity as well.

Crusixblade Wrote: That's...honestly a tough one for me. I try to write all my characters to be human enough to be at least understandable....Except Solipsis. But I don't know if the shape shifting soul eating monster with a love of fire and travel rations is...unlikable.

DrakanSigh  I hope it's not the MC of my main story though...but sometimes I worry it is because people seem to be happy with the torment I put him through...

As long as the character is well written it's fine who ever it is.

JK-sama Wrote: I actually kinda hated writing most of his interactiosn with other characters, and especially Li in particular. Zhui's mannerism was also based on the Norman character. In later chapters, I toned down his extreme unhingedness a few notches since I felt that Li was suffering too much enough as is, and for my own sanity as well.

Kinda scary how your own characters can be distressing to write about, isn't it? We include bad guys to give the good guys something to overcome, but sometimes the bad guys are just a little too much, and not in an OP-ultra-villain-with-a-volcano-lair way. I think sometimes the more realistic they are, the worse it gets.

Prysmcat Wrote:
OwlishIntergalactic Wrote: Currently, Sig. He's obsessed with the creation story of the genetically superior species he belongs to and how to make them even better/look human so they can infiltrate Human society. He's so absorbed by it he's willing to risk intergalactic war and experiment on sapient beings. He's a disgusting specimen of a generally disgusting society. Many of his own people find him abhorrent, too.

I'm trying to imagine him meeting my Elena... I think I would prefer to be a long way off and observe that remotely. Possibly from another planet.

I think together they'd probably figure out how to take down the Universe. Most of the people who surround him don't have the single-minded drive and obsession he has, and his older sister (Helena, oddly enough xD) does as much as she can to thwart him. There's something about obsession and bigotry that, when mixed, can be exceptionally dangerous and terrifying.

So this is a little obscure, but there was this one book of my rationalist rewrite of the Animorphs series that was just... really hard to write and edit. There was some alternate timeline shenanigans going on that meant, for a book, all the characters had been raised in an alternate fascist future America (I was rewriting the start of MM3: Elfangor's Secret and expanding it into a full book, for people who know the series) and writing the POV of an unapologetic pro-slavery fascist guerilla fighter interacting mostly with other unapologetic pro-slavery fascist guerilla fighters was... a slog. I did not like that character.

Oh, I have some strong contenders for this one. My antagonist is a real piece of work; she’s a manipulative narcissist who genuinely believes that she’s superior to everybody else, and she gets away with her self-centeredness, entitlement, and obnoxious personality because she’s a powerful monarch and no one dares oppose her. She sees people as tools more than fellow human beings, and although she “loves” some close friends and relatives, even that love is remarkably self-centered—she “loves” her youngest daughter, but only because she sees herself in her child. She’s cold, calculating, and deeply maladjusted, and despite her beliefs about her superior intelligence and competency, she’s completely incapable of running a nation state. 

Another contender is probably Andromeda, one of the “good guys.” She’s an accomplished young Praetor whose skills rival those of the best generals in history, but as a person, she’s kind of terrible. She’s only in this fight to get personal glory and her piece of the spoils, and she cares more about causing chaos than achieving freedom. Like the antagonist, she shows little regard for human life. Her temper is the stuff of legends, and nightmares. When she’s balanced out by her friends and allies, she’s a remarkably talented warrior, but if her supermassive ego and endless desire for anarchy are allowed to grow unchecked… well, things get real bad real fast. 

I mean by far my most unlikable character was my main villain. 

I am a big believer in the whole "Make your villains likable" theory, because it gives them more depth and purpose. I have never been a big fan of the "Evil guy is evil just to be evil" trope. 

However, I ended up making my main characters to be likable villians. 

So how the hell do you write a story where the main characters are the villains? 

By writing a villain who is so vile, so disgusting, so filthy, so manipulative, so deceptive, so hypocritical, so pampered, so spoiled, so immature, so picky, so petty, so inhumane, so ruthless, that even villains seem good. 

Basically, I took everything I hate about humanity and shoved it into one person. 

He was good looking, popular, everyone loved him. 

He was given the title of hero, praised for everything he did, saved people from harm, and obtained a large harem. 

But wait, this is starting to sound a lot like an isekai protagonist. 

Exactly. 

My main villain was an isekai protagonist. 

He was overpowered for no reason, given everything on a platter, and allowed to do anything he wanted. 

He deceived people by saving them, while using them for all they had without them even knowing it. He would be thanked and praised for doing literally nothing, or for fixing the very issues he created - just so that he could be praised for fixing them. 

He ignored his duties and slaughtered anyone who wasn't useful to him, but did it in a way that made the person out to be a villain. 

He was a politician. 

He demonized his foes, showed himself off as humble and kind, and did everything in a way where not a single person noticed what he was doing. 

He manipulated hundreds of women into falling for him, only to leave them desperate for him and broken when he left - claiming that as a hero, it was his duty to care for all the people - not just one. 

The fact that I was able to come up with such a vile person surprises even myself. But it's simply because I applied one concept to this character above all. 

He was seen as the good guy, no matter what he did.