Re: Alternate "fantasy style" spellings

There's nothing wrong with being a hack- hacks rake in the dough. But this doesn't make you a hack.

No, there's nothing wrong with what you're doing. It can really help the mood- especially if you're giving a consistent 'flavor' for different countries, cultures, etc.

Besides, it's kinda fun. Though one of the examples I've done, I don't think anyone has actually caught.

Re: Alternate "fantasy style" spellings

As someone with dyslexia it annoys  the flipping heck out of me. I'll be reading along just fine, come to a name like "Yezmin" as an odd spelling of "Jasmine" and have to spend the next ten minutes acclimatizing my brain to the new word. If I don't, it'll happen every single time I see it. Rinse and repeat for every single name. Personally, if I reach three weird names I give up, because it just takes too much mental energy to catalogue them.
But, since I have this pet peeve, I am acutely aware of every time it happens. And it happens A LOT. Trust me, you aren't a hack for doing that, you're actually probably in the norm as far as fantasy goes.
Oh, and don't worry about "one person on the internet hates it so I shouldn't do it!". I found Lord of the Rings impossible to read because of this, and look at how popular that is.  I just had to get that rant out of my system lol