Re: Do you "advertise" your stories?

Urikson Wrote: What I mean is: do you try to draw readers from outside of Royal Road? Like, post links in your social network, in other forums, etc? If yes, where, how often, and do you feel it helped you gain views?

Outside of directly crossposting on other platforms, I also post on some writing subreddits like r/writing's weekly promo thread, and a few self-promo threads on RR's subreddit and the recent r/WebFics. As far as I'm aware the r/writing promoting doesn't make yield any results. Other than that, I drop chapter releases in some discords I'm in. 

RR has yet to track discord referrals so it could be fruitless for all I know. I also post chapters releases and page fictions on Twitter, but I get the odd handful of users who have a few sessions before stopping.

Overall, the most I think I had was my crossposting on Spacebattles where I had like 20 readers/sessions last week, that meant like close to 780 pageviews over 2 days, which is kinda cool.

Urikson Wrote: What I mean is: do you try to draw readers from outside of Royal Road? Like, post links in your social network, in other forums, etc? If yes, where, how often, and do you feel it helped you gain views?

I used to do this, and I will be resuming it at some point. Reason I stopped, is because, I am doing one last rewrite on my series. Less that sees it, the better. I want to have as many new readers going into my best work. I know my real hard base will jump back in to read it, though there are a lot that will not. Once I get it up to speed, there are options out there.

Facebook, Twitter, and so on. Current I am also on Wattpad and Inkitt.

Whenever I post a chapter (I post them to RR, YT, and my own website) I'll mention that those who want to read in-browser can find it on RR. So I post to Twitter, Reddit (my user subreddit, and the RR weekly), and as of recently, my Instagram.

I would like to think that I'm directing traffic from those sites, but I think the only one pulling any work is Twitter tbh. I'm pretty sure the majority of my views are coming from within RR itself, rather than being directed from cross-platform promotion.

Royal Road *is* my advertisement, along with the other sites I post on. The actual free story sites themselves are the best way to draw in new readers (unless it's a site like wattpad, where the algorithm makes it pointless to post most stories).

I have a website simply so there's an official site where people can find links to my books (I don't post my stories there). I have a twitter account, but I don't have much of a following. I only post new book releases there. I have a mailing list that's also pretty small, and also limited to news about new book releases.

I've tried Royal Road ads, Amazon ads, Bookbub ads, and a Goodreads giveaway.

I'm pretty sure Amazon ads will be the most effective at selling books, but ... it's not cost-effective for a single book. You'll pay more for the clicks than you'll receive in royalties. You need to be selling multiple books, preferably in a series, for Amazon ads to be effective. I'm going to try again once I've edited and published Books 2 and 3.

Also, for Amazon readers to take a chance on an author they've never heard of before, it helps to lower their cost of entry. Once Books 2 and 3 are up, I'm thinking of lowering the price of Book 1 to 99 cents. That way, people can try it out cheap, and if they like it, they'll be more willing to pay full price for the other books.

The Royal Road ad may have gotten me a few more readers here. There were more clicks, but it was hard to tell how many of them stuck with the story.

I probably won't do another Bookbub ad unless I put together a special pricing deal. I think Bookbub readers are focused on looking for discounts.

The Goodreads giveaway didn't do much for me, but I think it was because I only gave away 20 copies of the ebook. Next time, I'll try a larger giveaway.

And, I'm a firm believer that one of the most important things you can do to sell a book on Amazon is to have a professional-looking book cover, similar to published novels (which isn't necessarily the same style that works best on Royal Road). I commission my covers from a professional cover designer (which is a somewhat different skillset than a professional artist).

Very, very little, outside of the occasional pinned post or signature.

I always feel sort of obnoxious doing anything more than that, and I don't feel like it'd help me much in the long run anyway. I struggle to find readers on a writing website, how's posting on a general stuff website gonna help me? I do have links on my Twitter and Tumblr, but I don't actively pursue anything.

I do nag a certain friend to read my stuff, though. It's more of an inside joke than genuine advertising, though. My friends like to tease me for being an author.

"readers from outside of royal road"

At reading that, the writer screamed in horror of imagining the wider internet know of his work. He ran away to hide from the idea, images of normies finding it and calling it 'overly long and dumb' and of people trying to ship the main character with his worst enemies. Such horrors were too much for the low confidence author. He cried himself to sleep.

FancyDrakan

Blockade85 Wrote: but I don’t want to shove it in their face to where they won’t read it because I’m being pushy about it

There are a lot of different methods of advertising. Most of them aren't particularly pushy.

Urikson Wrote: What prompted me to ask this question is how do some people end up with millions of views. Obviously, they write good stories, but I sense that this isn't enough.

Millions of views on Royal Road, in a relatively short timespan? That almost always requires a LitRPG of some sort, that hits Trending. The site has a specific fanbase, and they like what they like.

If you remove the "relatively short timespan" requirement, then you can get a wider range of stories. Legion of Nothing has 3.4 million views and it's not LitRPG--but it has 1226 chapters posted across five years. For a long enough (and good enough) story, the views will eventually add up.

Tumblr and Discord. Most of the time, when the chapter is released.

Discord, though, is a bit harder to do, since you need to hook in people from writing servers.

Yes! I haven't even started sharing my stories here yet (still working on getting a backlog of chapters), but I'm already mentioning on my Patreon and other pages that I will be sharing chapter drafts on RR ahead of their actual release. Once I actually start posting them, I will be sharing about RR much more actively. Obviously, as I don't have anything for them to read yet, I haven't gotten any views or follows, but it never hurts to build awareness before a release instead of scrambling to get it afterwards. As for where and how often? Wherever I can and whenever I can.

Not really, but I mainly write for myself as opposed to wanting to write something for people to enjoy. Also having random people read my story is a little anxiety inducing but a needed evil for learning how to write better.

Gridinad Wrote: Not really, but I mainly write for myself as opposed to wanting to write something for people to enjoy. Also having random people read my story is a little anxiety inducing but a needed evil for learning how to write better.

If you're writing for yourself and for your own enjoyment, why even have "I must get better!" as a priority?  peoconfused

Ararara Wrote:
Gridinad Wrote: Not really, but I mainly write for myself as opposed to wanting to write something for people to enjoy. Also having random people read my story is a little anxiety inducing but a needed evil for learning how to write better.

If you're writing for yourself and for your own enjoyment, why even have "I must get better!" as a priority?  peoconfused

Why not? I want to be good at the things I do. What is the point of anything, if not to get better at it?