Re: Finished my "Hell Week"

Because I recently brought a second fiction to RR. I decided to run a chapter a day, in addition to my existing commitment for a weekly chapter for my other fiction.

It seemed like amazing idea, because I have like 40 chapters in backlog. Unfortunately, each chapter is anywhere from around 6k to10k words and only the latest ones were up to my current editing standard. 

So, because I was thinking more along the lines of "I really want people to see this ASAP," rather than, "This is a good idea, I'll work on it and do it in a couple weeks." I informally started my personal hell week. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually regret it. It was just far more of a challenge than I originally anticipated and I really had to test my limits on what I was capable of. 

In the end I was editing through and rather heavily rewriting a 6-10k chapter a day plus writing what I could for my weekly 15k+ chapter for my existing fiction. I honestly wouldn't have believed id be capable of it, even in the short term. While I definitely won't be doing that again, it was a fantastic learning experience.

AlexaLee Wrote: Oh wow. I'm glad it was a good learning experience but that sounds genuinely hellish!!
It began quite manageable. But I found that because of the amount of rewriting I was doing, I kept coming up creatively drained after only writing small parts for the existing fiction. I have been working on both this whole time, so it normally wasn't an issue. But doing it every day?  It was like watching the iceberg get closer and closer.

DrakanSigh

Blind_Watcher Wrote: It began quite manageable. But I found that because of the amount of rewriting I was doing, I kept coming up creatively drained after only writing small parts for the existing fiction. I have been working on both this whole time, so it normally wasn't an issue. But doing it every day?  It was like watching the iceberg get closer and closer.

Oof I can imagine! Did the iceberg hit leaving you completely burnt out or are you okay?

Blind_Watcher Wrote: Because I recently brought a second fiction to RR. I decided to run a chapter a day, in addition to my existing commitment for a weekly chapter for my other fiction.

It seemed like amazing idea, because I have like 40 chapters in backlog. Unfortunately, each chapter is anywhere from around 6k to10k words and only the latest ones were up to my current editing standard. 

So, because I was thinking more along the lines of "I really want people to see this ASAP," rather than, "This is a good idea, I'll work on it and do it in a couple weeks." I informally started my personal hell week. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually regret it. It was just far more of a challenge than I originally anticipated and I really had to test my limits on what I was capable of. 

In the end I was editing through and rather heavily rewriting a 6-10k chapter a day plus writing what I could for my weekly 15k+ chapter for my existing fiction. I honestly wouldn't have believed id be capable of it, even in the short term. While I definitely won't be doing that again, it was a fantastic learning experience.
You’d be surprised what is possible. I actually burnt myself out, rewriting faster than my audience can read. I was doing at least two chapters a day, which would equate to about 10k to 20k words total. However, as I got deeper into the book, I started doing one a day, since a single chapter could be 10k to 15k. Then there was one that turned out to be 28k. I kept consistent, but really tired myself out. Every time the new count got caught up, I would already have another part ready to go.

Had to pull it back some for the rewrite of my second book, otherwise I will go completely crazy heh. My chapter lengths are no joke. It is always a learning experience, when you have that drive, there is a lot you will find yourself capable of doing. Gotta also just take it back a bit, and work at a reasonable pace. 

AlexaLee Wrote:
Blind_Watcher Wrote: It began quite manageable. But I found that because of the amount of rewriting I was doing, I kept coming up creatively drained after only writing small parts for the existing fiction. I have been working on both this whole time, so it normally wasn't an issue. But doing it every day?  It was like watching the iceberg get closer and closer.

Oof I can imagine! Did the iceberg hit leaving you completely burnt out or are you okay?
Oh I'm fine, but thanks for asking. :)  I took a long nap earlier and im going to bed for real quite soon. I've just been bouncing idea's for a modified chapter ending with Novelninja. The perfectionist in me just really wanted it 'done' before proper sleep hehe. It was more of a stress iceberg, the deadline for OT, than a burnout one.

Blind_Watcher Wrote:
AlexaLee Wrote:

Oh I'm fine, but thanks for asking. :)  I took a long nap earlier and im going to bed for real quite soon. I've just been bouncing idea's for a modified chapter ending with Novelninja. The perfectionist in me just really wanted it 'done' before proper sleep hehe. It was more of a stress iceberg, the deadline for OT, than a burnout one.

Ah that is very fair. Maybe a nice meal and an early night will help!

Blind_Watcher Wrote: Because I recently brought a second fiction to RR. I decided to run a chapter a day, in addition to my existing commitment for a weekly chapter for my other fiction.

That is seriously impressive! And here I am chuffed if I can get out around 4k of roughly edited drivel a week.:D