Re: Visibility, and How to Get it?

Regular updates (and spaced out, in case you're uploading a backlog; don't upload all at the same time). Participating here on the forums can help too, either by posting and using your signature (like you already do) or finding the right threads where it makes sense to spread the word. Every month, there's a selfpromotion thread in the recommendations forum, for instance, if I recall correctly.

You can also post on RR's subreddit, I should think, though I don't know how active it is.

The main ways to get notied are on the frontpage lists. There's one for recent updates, one for fictions with a lot of votes, one for stories that have been trending recently, ect.

The first one is the easiest to get on. Just space out your chapters and don't upload them all at once to max your time there. The rules for getting on the trending list aren't known exactly, but it's probably based on how much activity you can get in around a month or so, since that's usually how old the stories ar ewhen they show up there. 

Also keep your signature updated and you've pretty much maxed out your odds. After that, you nust need to keep going. 

Quill Wrote: Regular updates (and spaced out, in case you're uploading a backlog; don't upload all at the same time). Participating here on the forums can help too, either by posting and using your signature (like you already do) or finding the right threads where it makes sense to spread the word. Every month, there's a selfpromotion thread in the recommendations forum, for instance, if I recall correctly.

You can also post on RR's subreddit, I should think, though I don't know how active it is.

The subreddit isn't very active at all, at least compared to the forums.

Fin Wrote:
Tristan Wrote:
Quill Wrote: Regular updates (and spaced out, in case you're uploading a backlog; don't upload all at the same time). Participating here on the forums can help too, either by posting and using your signature (like you already do) or finding the right threads where it makes sense to spread the word. Every month, there's a selfpromotion thread in the recommendations forum, for instance, if I recall correctly.

The subreddit isn't very active at all, at least compared to the forums.

When I talked of the RoyalRoad Reddit to the other Derbiers, they said it was a wash and time was better spent posting to other writing sub-reddits (like HFY and RedditSerials). Not sure if you have any other recommendations?

Scribble Hub is fairly decent. 

Fin Wrote: So I notice the lists on the front page. I'm sure most of the visibility comes from there, but it seems like a lot of the Forum is full of people trying to push themselves onto those lists as well. Seems like a lot of work for no guaranteed payoff. Hmmm. Hmm, hmm, hmm. Lots to think on.

The royal road forums are mostly authors writing their own stories. You won't find enough reader traction here to push you onto trending. Most people here are too focused on their own stories to even be able to read others for fun. 

As much as "write a good story" sounds like good advice, it only kicks in once you're visible on trending. To get to trending on royal roads requires views - and to get views you have to setup a gameplan ahead of time. Set your story to one that RR demographics follows, do market research and find out what's currently popular and why it's popular. Find the right subreddits to post in order to get veiwership. Post ahead of time on another community and prepare a readerbase before migrating to Royal Roads. This isn't all completely necessary, but stories that follow these trends tend to find themselves on the trending list. 

You need about 40-50 readers to get onto trending imo. Additionally you cannot pick up readers with 1-7 chapters out. Readers will not read a story with that few chapters. They'll start picking it up once it has got 10-15 chapters at minimum. So assume the first few weeks is going to be just setting up the bones of your story. If you look at all the popular stories, the ones with early reviews from chapter 3-5 are always by a friend or someone the author knows. 

Organic reviews start around chapter 11-18, which is around the point where you're aiming to get onto trending. Ergo - if you're in chapter 1-10 zone, this isn't the time period where you need to worry about readers. Marketing itself might also be a scratch at this point since drawing eyes to an empty story might not be the best plan of action. If you have one shot to get visibility, don't blow the load early on when there isn't anything in the chamber yet lol 

Fin Wrote:
Tinim Wrote: There's always the option to do ads

According to the rules of RedditSerials Derby, everything has to be organically done - IE, I'm not allowed to use money for ads.

Mark Wrote:
Fin Wrote: So I notice the lists on the front page. I'm sure most of the visibility comes from there, but it seems like a lot of the Forum is full of people trying to push themselves onto those lists as well. Seems like a lot of work for no guaranteed payoff. Hmmm. Hmm, hmm, hmm. Lots to think on.

The royal road forums are mostly authors writing their own stories. You won't find enough reader traction here to push you onto trending. Most people here are too focused on their own stories to even be able to read others for fun. 

As much as "write a good story" sounds like good advice, it only kicks in once you're visible on trending. To get to trending on royal roads requires views - and to get views you have to setup a gameplan ahead of time. Set your story to one that RR demographics follows, do market research and find out what's currently popular and why it's popular. Find the right subreddits to post in order to get veiwership. Post ahead of time on another community and prepare a readerbase before migrating to Royal Roads. This isn't all completely necessary, but stories that follow these trends tend to find themselves on the trending list. 

You need about 40-50 readers to get onto trending imo. Additionally you cannot pick up readers with 1-7 chapters out. Readers will not read a story with that few chapters. They'll start picking it up once it has got 10-15 chapters at minimum. So assume the first few weeks is going to be just setting up the bones of your story. If you look at all the popular stories, the ones with early reviews from chapter 3-5 are always by a friend or someone the author knows. 

Organic reviews start around chapter 11-18, which is around the point where you're aiming to get onto trending. Ergo - if you're in chapter 1-10 zone, this isn't the time period where you need to worry about readers. Marketing itself might also be a scratch at this point since drawing eyes to an empty story might not be the best plan of action. If you have one shot to get visibility, don't blow the load early on when there isn't anything in the chamber yet lol

This is fair. I've gotta finish the story, one way or another. I'm aiming for 80k words in 3 months. Very doable. I've got chapters saved up to post one a day (though I have to remember to post). What you're saying makes sense. I've seen some statistics for reader interactions on the forum and... it's not great. I'm probably going to find the review swap thread after I get the required 10k words out, but thats a few days away.

There's a lot of pressure to market as fast as possible because of the limited time scope of the Derby.

You can always set up drafts early and set them to post at a specific time, I'd that helps. 

Eh, do what you want. Personally, I don't mind either way - but sometimes it's annoying for me as a reader to have to go back searching through a whole damn list of chapters to find some scene that I want to reread to my friends or my brother or... You get the point. It also helps me to stay on topic as a writer when writing to do chapter names.