Re: 0.5 Ratings are a Blessing

clearbattery Wrote: Getting a 0.5 rating got me to dig deep into having an outsiders perspective whilst trying to proofread the fic, has anyone experienced similar ‘criticism’ which got you to reconstruct everything in your story for the better and what was it?
Nope, two reasons.

1. It doesn’t happen much, and tends to be trolls.

2. I would rewrite my entire series anyway.

For me, if a story is less than three stars odds are I wouldn't read it anyway. So for me at least if somebody reviews a story with a .5 I would likely deem them trolls and dismiss it. I don't think what I have up so far is so bad that it can't be at least a three. 

The lowest I would go would be one star. If a story or chapter is worse then that leaving a review is in my eyes kind of pointless. If it is that bad it should be worked on a lot more or whoever made it did it as a joke and so it wouldn't matter anyway. 

I haven’t got one on this site, though I have gotten pretty harsh reviews in the past. As long as they left why they reviewed it that way and it wasn’t just because it wasn’t a book I liked or not my genre. I tend to listen to what they say, and then I will do an evolution on my work. Sometimes it ended up just being my writing style and not something that I could change too much, and other times it came out to be serious issues that after working on made my writing better.

Alva Wrote: I haven’t got one on this site, though I have gotten pretty harsh reviews in the past. As long as they left why they reviewed it that way and it wasn’t just because it wasn’t a book I liked or not my genre. I tend to listen to what they say, and then I will do an evolution on my work. Sometimes it ended up just being my writing style and not something that I could change too much, and other times it came out to be serious issues that after working on made my writing better.
Had a troll 0.5 rating once. Months later, I guess they deleted their account, and it was dropped. So, that happened. 🐕

Alva Wrote: I haven’t got one on this site, though I have gotten pretty harsh reviews in the past. As long as they left why they reviewed it that way and it wasn’t just because it wasn’t a book I liked or not my genre. I tend to listen to what they say, and then I will do an evolution on my work. Sometimes it ended up just being my writing style and not something that I could change too much, and other times it came out to be serious issues that after working on made my writing better.

I have had my fair number of such reviews myself and I won't lie it has killed my willingness to work on them afterwards. Writing fanfiction is hard enough as it is. Making an entirely original work is easily over ten times harder. It's why for years I have never done any. But I think that I have cool ideas and it seems wrong to not try to make them into stories for people to read and I hope enjoy. So for me, if I were ever to get a review that ripped into any of my stuff nearly as badly as a .5 review would I'm unsure how I would feel about it.  

I can understand that. Those horrible reviews almost made me stop writing completely. That was until I looked at rather it was a troll, someone who just had a reading preference that was different than my writing style. Which surprisingly was more often the cast, cause the true reviews generally will give you more credit than the bad ones. Honestly even today if I got a .5 I would be really crushed and it would be hard to move past. So I 1000% understand where your coming from. 

The problem is, rather than trolls, readers use 5 and 0.5 more as a like/dislike button that's in no way an indicator of the fiction's quality. The bigger problem is, this has caused the value of a single 0.5 to be several times that of a 5 star, and just one of 'em could hurt an author real bad, especially in a system that relies so heavily on ranking...

I Wrote: The problem is, rather than trolls, readers use 5 and 0.5 more as a like/dislike button that's in no way an indicator of the fiction's quality. The bigger problem is, this has caused the value of a single 0.5 to be several times that of a 5 star, and just one of 'em could hurt an author real bad, especially in a system that relies so heavily on ranking...
If I remember right, wasn’t this the reason YouTube got rid of the system? Since people just like or dislike?

Edge Wrote:
I Wrote: The problem is, rather than trolls, readers use 5 and 0.5 more as a like/dislike button that's in no way an indicator of the fiction's quality. The bigger problem is, this has caused the value of a single 0.5 to be several times that of a 5 star, and just one of 'em could hurt an author real bad, especially in a system that relies so heavily on ranking...
If I remember right, wasn’t this the reason Youtube got rid of the system? Since people just like or dislike?

Yeah I think so. I remember back when it had stars and looked alot more like Myspace. Most people just used the highest and lowest and the middle ones were never used. So now we have the like/dislike thing that doesn't really help the smaller guys get seen. Most of the time I find great Youtubers just out of luck. I think this is the the same thing just with stories and not videos. But the basic idea is the same.

SpaceOrbisStories Wrote: Yeah I think so. I remember back when it had stars and looked alot more like Myspace. Most people just used the highest and lowest and the middle ones were never used. So now we have the like/dislike thing that doesn't really help the smaller guys get seen. Most of the time I find great Youtubers just out of luck.
Yeah, there really isn’t a good way in giving everyone a fair chance. However, if peeps are just gonna do .5 and 5 stars most of the time. It would be better to just get rid of the system, and use a like or dislike button. If they want to get more vocal about it, just have the review option there for them to say whatever they need to say.

Edge Wrote:
SpaceOrbisStories Wrote: Yeah I think so. I remember back when it had stars and looked alot more like Myspace. Most people just used the highest and lowest and the middle ones were never used. So now we have the like/dislike thing that doesn't really help the smaller guys get seen. Most of the time I find great Youtubers just out of luck.
Yeah, there really isn’t a good way in giving everyone a fair chance. However, if peeps are just gonna do .5 and 5 stars most of the time. It would be better to just get rid of the system, and use a like or dislike button. If they want to get more vocal about it, just have the review option there for them to say whatever they need to say.

Well, I believe we might be seeing them test the waters with different systems by doing the experimental vote. 

TheRottingBard Wrote: Well, I believe we might be seeing them test the waters with different systems by doing the experimental vote.
Yeah, we’ll see how this works out. Though, so far? I saw a chicken on the front screen. 😐

Honestly, I might not even give the list a look, and manually seek out books from authors. When I did that a few days ago, I found three books that I am gonna be reading to the end.