Re: I got 0* rating bombed on ScribbleHub. Anyone else tried other writing platforms? How did it go?

JenifryConan Wrote: I decided to upload the backlog of my novel to ScribbleHub because someone told me they had a very supportive community. I uploaded about 15 chapters at once to catch up to my progress here, and within minutes I received three zero star ratings.

They clearly weren't based on the content of my story, as my stats show that no one had read the first chapter when the ratings came in. I believe they were by readers/ writers who were irritated that I 'spammed' the latest updates section, which doesn't work like RR's does (if you upload enough chapters on ScribbleHub, it pushes everyone else off the list.)

Have any of you tried to expand outside of RoyalRoad? If yes, did you land a bit more gracefully than I did?
I didn’t even know 0 stars was a thing. Don’t get me wrong, the community is pretty bad I noticed. Though, peeps usually rate books good. I removed my works from scribblehub, it is just too immature I will say. 

I am on Inkitt and also Wattpad.

Re: I got 0* rating bombed on ScribbleHub. Anyone else tried other writing platforms? How did it go?

JenifryConan Wrote:
Edge Wrote: I didn’t even know 0 stars was a thing.
Just had a look and you are right! They're 1 star reviews, not 0. I'll edit the post.

Edge Wrote: Don’t get me wrong, the community is pretty bad I noticed. Though, peeps usually rate books good. I removed my works from scribblehub, it is just too immature I will say.
Then I'll monitor its future reception. I'm always up for trying new platforms to see which one's work.

Edge Wrote: I am on Inkitt and also Wattpad.
Same here. How's the engagement there compared to here?
Scribblehub, you should get massive exposure. There are trolls there as well, but there shouldn’t be too many from what I noticed. 

Royalroad is my mirror. I've my own website and prefer it to be honest. I've more control. I've tried other writing platforms in the past and none of them were a good fit, even RR fails to be a good fit for my stories. I don't really think any platform is going to be at this point.

To be honest, I'm probably going to be pulling back from joining any other plataform. Though, I'm considering Moonquil just because there looks to be a more variety of stories there and still small enough that I'm willing to give a try. However, usually, before I join any community, I lurk for a long time to get a feel of it before I commit to posting.

And usually when you post on any platform, you don't want to spam all your chapters at once. You miss out on getting readers that way. When I posted here, I was halfway through my story on my website, about 13 or 15 chapters. I posted a steady two chapters a week and maybe an extra one here and there. While on the website, I posted 1 day a week until I caught up with myself.

L.J.Anders Wrote: Royalroad is my mirror. I've my own website and prefer it to be honest. I've more control. I've tried other writing platforms in the past and none of them were a good fit, even RR fails to be a good fit for my stories. I don't really think any platform is going to be at this point.

To be honest, I'm probably going to be pulling back from joining any other plataform. Though, I'm considering Moonquil just because there looks to be a more variety of stories there and still small enough that I'm willing to give a try. However, usually, before I join any community, I lurk for a long time to get a feel of it before I commit to posting.

And usually when you post on any platform, you don't want to spam all your chapters at once. You miss out on getting readers that way. When I posted here, I was halfway through my story on my website, about 13 or 15 chapters. I posted a steady two chapters a week and maybe an extra one here and there. While on the website, I posted 1 day a week until I caught up with myself.
I understand this, look, platforms are gonna have their own preferences. However, if you want your story to succeed. You make it succeed. I have come a long way in two years, much before ever being on Royal Road. Rewritten my works more times than I can count. Expanded on other platforms, etc. Slowly, those numbers started crawling higher and higher. My last rewrite net me about 7k views between all of my platforms I am currently on. Notably about 5k came from R.R. 

Even after you are done, gotta keep promoting. Eventually, it will make its way higher. I started with merely hundreds of reads for months. Those grew into thousands, and even got interactions. Some like it, some dislike it. That is common, and understandable. However, don’t get discouraged, keep at it. ^^

Edge Wrote:
L.J.Anders Wrote: Royalroad is my mirror. I've my own website and prefer it to be honest. I've more control. I've tried other writing platforms in the past and none of them were a good fit, even RR fails to be a good fit for my stories. I don't really think any platform is going to be at this point.

I understand this, look, platforms are gonna have their own preferences. However, if you want your story to succeed. You make it succeed. I have come a long way in two years, much before ever being on Royal Road. Rewritten my works more times than I can count. Expanded on other platforms, etc. Slowly, those numbers started crawling higher and higher. My last rewrite net me about 7k views between all of my platforms I am currently on. Notably about 5k came from R.R. 

Even after you are done, gotta keep promoting. Eventually, it will make its way higher. I started with merely hundreds of reads for months. Those grew into thousands, and even got interactions. Some like it, some dislike it. That is common, and understandable. However, don’t get discouraged, keep at it. ^^

I'm not discouraged. I rather just focus on my website as it's done better than any platform I've joined. I've a lot more control. If I want to post extra thing that are character and world related stuff, I can with better organization. My niche writing just does better there than it does here. So platforms aren't the end all be all to me.

L.J.Anders Wrote: I'm not discouraged. I rather just focus on my website as it's done better than any platform I've joined. I've a lot more control. If I want to post extra thing that are character and world related stuff, I can with better organization. My niche writing just does better there than it does here. So platforms aren't the end all be all to me.

Ah, well, the important thing is that you take it where you can do the best on, right? 
And I understand ya well, my writing doesn’t do well on really any platform I am on. I have to find other ways of drawing in readers, so growth is very slow. 

I have Transposition on Scribble Hub as well as here. Previously I had it on Wattpad, and on my own website.
  • My own website got zero views, because frankly, I'm bad at self-promo. It's still there but serials are not being updated on it at this point, so it's basically a catalogue of my work and has links to where to find novels and serials.
  • I got a handful of views on Wattpad, but I don't write anything that would ever be popular there and without the forums, I've given up completely on getting any attention there. I left a couple of completed novels there and otherwise I'm not doing anything there anymore.
  • I've gotten a pretty decent reception on RR, aside from one .5 bomb, including one regular commenter and one intermittent one.
  • I found Scribble Hub and started adding Transposition there at an accelerated rate (one post every 12 hours) with the intention of catching up with RR and syncing the two. However, I've had more views there than here, over 3 times the follows, and I've had one regular commenter and a couple of intermittent ones and three 5-star ratings. Because of the response, I've left it at that pace.
Since the first arc of Transposition is about to end on SH, I'm going to let it go on a short hiatus while I finish and polish the second arc. I plan to start releasing two others there, with daily posts. My sense is that what I write fits there a bit better, although I don't plan on abandoning RR.

I have zero interest in the forums on SH, which seem more like a way to waste time. Then again, I'm only visiting the RR forums irregularly. I'd usually rather write than talk about writing.

Just for context, I'm not particularly interested in making a living off writing or expecting to reach any Trending lists. I'd be writing even without a way to share it. I'm enjoying having an audience, however.

JenifryConan Wrote: I decided to upload the backlog of my novel to ScribbleHub because someone told me they had a very supportive community. I uploaded about 15 chapters at once to catch up to my progress here, and within minutes I received three one star ratings.

They clearly weren't based on the content of my story, as my stats show that no one had read the first chapter when the ratings came in. I believe they were by readers/ writers who were irritated that I 'spammed' the latest updates section, which doesn't work like RR's does (if you upload enough chapters on ScribbleHub, it pushes everyone else off the list.)

Have any of you tried to expand outside of RoyalRoad? If yes, did you land a bit more gracefully than I did?
A thing you could do to fight back would be to delete it, then reupload it, and only post like 1 chapter per day. That would make it so that people didn't have as much of a reason to attack your story. On the other hand, it may be against the site rules, and idk how well moderated it is...? And it also sounds like quite a bit of work :s