Re: New to the road, excited to walk it

Hey Everyone,

I've been writing for a little while now, but haven't shared anything with anyone other than family or friends. Added my first story yesterday. Looking to improve and fully integrate into the community so that I can slowly eat away at its foundations until it's too late to stop me.

Tips and general advice welcome

Looking forward to seeing you on the road

Welcome. Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.

Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule.

Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.

Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.

(I shouldn't be asked for helpful pointers, I seem to go overboard. 😅)

I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Welcome to Royal Road. It's quite exciting to share your work with people you don't know. It's a good way to improve as a writer. A couple of things you should be aware of. Many readers here have seen stories they read just stop. Because of that a lot of readers wait until as story reaches a certain length before reading. It's their way of testing the authors commitment to finishing it. Also readers here can be quiet so you need to work a little (well a lot) to get feedback. Letting people know you'd like feedback in your chapter notes is one way. You can also check out comment reviews under the Reviewing section of the Forums. So don't get discouraged if you don't get a lot of views or comments right away. That's pretty typical. 

The best ways to interact with the community are through the Forums and commenting on stories you read. You can ask any question you might have on the Forums. Also, the FAQ's under Support provide information on the site. I hope you have fun here and that your work attracts many readers. Good luck.

Cinn Wrote: Welcome. Visibility in RR is pretty decent, but don't expect lots of readers straight away. Readers here like longer works so the longer you've been posting the more readers you'll pick up.

Don't dump any backlog all at once, really you probably don't want to post more than one chapter a day, because that gives you maximium exposure via the latest updates page. But honestly you want a release schedule you can keep up without burning out. Readers like a consistent schedule.

Readers tend to be pretty quiet as well. So if you're specifically looking for feedback maybe head over to the reviewing subforum to organise some comment swaps.

Otherwise just nosey about the forums. Lots of social and writing discussions. Also the recommendations subforum has lots of good reads narrowed by specific tastes. Also there's a subforum within it for self promo.

(I shouldn't be asked for helpful pointers, I seem to go overboard. 😅)

I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

I don't think you went overboard at all. That all seems like great advice and I'll keep it in mind.

parkertallan Wrote: Welcome to Royal Road. It's quite exciting to share your work with people you don't know. It's a good way to improve as a writer. A couple of things you should be aware of. Many readers here have seen stories they read just stop. Because of that a lot of readers wait until as story reaches a certain length before reading. It's their way of testing the authors commitment to finishing it. Also readers here can be quiet so you need to work a little (well a lot) to get feedback. Letting people know you'd like feedback in your chapter notes is one way. You can also check out comment reviews under the Reviewing section of the Forums. So don't get discouraged if you don't get a lot of views or comments right away. That's pretty typical. 

The best ways to interact with the community are through the Forums and commenting on stories you read. You can ask any question you might have on the Forums. Also, the FAQ's under Support provide information on the site. I hope you have fun here and that your work attracts many readers. Good luck.

The dynamics of the site are really interesting. Thank you for the inside scoop.

Seersucker Wrote: Hey Everyone,

I've been writing for a little while now, but haven't shared anything with anyone other than family or friends. Added my first story yesterday. Looking to improve and fully integrate into the community so that I can slowly eat away at its foundations until it's too late to stop me.

Welcome! Here are some cookies and milk 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🥛🥛🥛🥛🥛🥛 lol I bet there a bunch of others who have been here for a while but haven't been introduced yet. I bet cause they either shy or forgot I honestly forget things too for example I sometimes forget my age

Seersucker Wrote: Hey Everyone,

Hey, welcome to Royal Roads! I'm pretty new to this site, so I have no advice haha. But I think it's brave of you to share your work to the world hehe. Best of luck to you mate  peolove