Re: Just saw the new Loki episode. Dang it.

Warming: spoilers for the Loki show ahead.

Guys, I just watched the first episode of the new Loki show, and gosh dang it, they took my idea.  Not really, but you'll get what I mean in a second.

You see, for a while now, I have had the idea of a story about a guy who stops World War 1 and is hunted by... well I can't say who because I don't want the idea taken.  Anyway, being that both my story and the new Loki show are about a guy who made an anomaly, created an alternate timeline, must answer for his crimes against time to the timekeepers, and who must work for them to pay off his debt, the similarities are clear.  It's as if the new Loki show just copied and pasted the core of my story.

My story is different enough that I think I can still do it, and yet, since the Loki story is already out there, I'll look like a copycat.  And just when I had a unique time concept!
peoangry
I had a monster idea and a life essence idea that were taken by Epic Mickey and Voltron, so I guess you could say this isn't my first rodeo, but this one was so much bigger than both of those.  

Has this ever happened to you guys?  If so, do you just write down the idea anyway or scrap it?

Interested to see what you say,
Sincerely, Wile

Wilewriter17 Wrote: Warming: spoilers for the Loki show ahead.

Guys, I just watched the first episode of the new Loki show, and gosh dang it, they took my idea.  Not really, but you'll get what I mean in a second.

You see, for a while now, I have had the idea of a story about a guy who stops World War 1 and is hunted by... well I can't say who because I don't want the idea taken.  Anyway, being that both my story and the new Loki show are about a guy who made an anomaly, created an alternate timeline, must answer for his crimes against time to the timekeepers, and who must work for them to pay off his debt, the similarities are clear.  It's as if the new Loki show just copied and pasted the core of my story.

My story is different enough that I think I can still do it, and yet, since the Loki story is already out there, I'll look like a copycat.  And just when I had a unique time concept!
peoangry
I had a monster idea and a life essence idea that were taken by Epic Mickey and Voltron, so I guess you could say this isn't my first rodeo, but this one was so much bigger than both of those.  

Has this ever happened to you guys?  If so, do you just write down the idea anyway or scrap it?

Sincerely, Wile

Given how god awful that episode was? I'd say do it anyways. Seriously, that show's first episode is a solid 1 out of 10 level insanely bad. You'd probably be far better than a hollywood writer at this point.

As for if that has ever happened to me? Yeah. I honestly think nearly all creatives have an idea that ends up being thought of by someone for a movie or tv show or whatever sadly. Back in highschool I had the idea of a world where vampires were the norm and humans were the rarity. Then a movie happened with that. I wish game devs would follow the same mental lines tho...

Crusixblade Wrote:
Wilewriter17 Wrote: Warming: spoilers for the Loki show ahead.

peoangry

Sincerely, Wile

Given how god awful that episode was? I'd say do it anyways. Seriously, that show's first episode is a solid 1 out of 10 level insanely bad. You'd probably be far better than a hollywood writer at this point.

As for if that has ever happened to me? Yeah. I honestly think nearly all creatives have an idea that ends up being thought of by someone for a movie or tv show or whatever sadly. Back in highschool I had the idea of a world where vampires were the norm and humans were the rarity. Then a movie happened with that. I wish game devs would follow the same mental lines tho...

They do nowadays thanks to Patreon, you just gotta hound the indie markets. 

And yeah write it anyway. It's not the first story to use that idea, I'm pretty sure I read a Harry Potter fanfic like that once where the authors very obvious self-insert went back to save Harry's parents or something such... and then had to work to make up for it while happily fangirling across time and space as the errand girl of some big shot time fairy... point is, there's no story that hasn't been written already. 

Anyway, it's not necessarily a bad thing for you. Genres exist for a reason, sometimes people watch something they love and want more of (in which case, this series just got you an audience) and sometimes they see something they hated but liked the concept of so they go and look for similar stuff so they can see it done 'right' (in which case, this series just got you an audience). 

Just write it. 

But yes I've also had it happen to me. Before the game Okami came out, I had this wolf OC running around with a magical paintbrush, doing something pretty similar as the game mechanic. It wasn't a Japanese sumi-e universe but I obviously couldn't use that idea after that and still get taken seriously by the rest of the teenage sparkledog deviantart community lmao

Worry not, you weren't the first to write a story about alternative timelines and time police.   http://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/time_police

So your story wasn't stolen, just like you didn't stole other's stories. 

timetravel stories are extremely hard to write well, even with the cheap alternate universe trick. Unless the world building for time police is spotless, most of such stories end up as a huge mess. (it is too easy to foil any hardship when you can keep travelling back to another alternate world.) 

Well, ideas, no matter which is it,  I doubt there exist many original ones these days. Everything's been done to some extent. No story idea is particularly new or revolutionary, and it's more about the presentation of the idea more than the originality of it that grabs readers today. Whatever Idea you have, I doubt anybody sane would try to steal it, cause your idea might not be as unique as you think if you look into it a little, and ideas aren't really rare things...

I'd bet most authors in here have probably more ideas than they could care for always crowding their brains. In fact, new and shiny ideas are so common, most of the times they tend to be a hindrance more than anything. Each idea seems better than the last and everything seems better than the story you're currently writing. In fact, even nonauthors are imaginative enough to have many ideas of their own in their heads. They just haven't begun wasting their time putting it into pages like some of us crazy folks...

As authors, we rarely try to look for unique and original ideas nowadays and focus on an idea, no matter how unoriginal it may seem and work our best to present it to our audience in an original and more importantly, entertaining way. That's what being an author means...

So the best someone else can do with your idea is take inspiration from it and present it in their own way. Yes, their way might turn out to be better than anything you can think of or it might be worse. Who's to say???

I suppose it depends on how skilled a writer and storyteller they are, compared to you...

Time police have been done enough that you don't have to worry about seeming like a copycat, though maybe you should refrain from watching the rest of the show until you finish your story so you can make sure you don't absorb too much of it. If you're worried, that is.

Loki's first episode wasn't more than a 3.5/5 or anything, but it impressed me, and that's more than I can say about the first episodes of the other two Marvel shows this year. Marvel Studios almost never fails to completely drop the ball on interesting ideas or moral complexity, so I'm not optimistic, but it was definitely enough to keep me watching, at least.