Re: Streaming writers, or writing streamers?

Hello,

I streamed on Twitch a few years ago and was wondering how the landscape might've changed since. Looking to get back into it here and was curious which website is best? Twitch? Youtube? Something smaller? Does anyone else stream for their platform? It's a pretty interesting experience. You don't have to show your actual writing either. Some people just use a mic or camera. Anyway, thought I'd ask.

Thanks for reading,
Simon T. and Team Telemetry

Tower Wrote: people will get to watch me trying to spell ‘celebration’ at least 5 times before giving up and googling it.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the type of content that would get millions of views. One of Corpse Husband's most popular videos is him repeatedly failing the key card swipe mini game in Among Us. People love to see suffering.

I've been following a few Twitch streams on writing for a little while now, and I wouldn't recommend it, for a couple reasons.

As far as I can tell, Twitch doesn't have any big streamers.  The highest I've seen is pirateaba with like 1xx viewers, and that's for TWI which is, ya know, immensely popular.  (Granted, I haven't heard of big-name author streams; if you find one let me know.)  As far as I can tell, 10-40 is popular for writing; as of right now (8:50PM Thursday PDT) there's about 6 streams that popular.

Twitch is also super disorganized when it comes to the writing category itself - there used to be one, but apparently now it's gone (?)  I've seen writers in Art, Just Chatting, and a few other categories.  I've seen a writing tag, but that's not nearly as easy to search for.

I can't really say much about the Youtube side of things; I know Brandon Sanderson's pretty popular, and there are a number of writing-focused channels, but Youtube isn't particularly known for streaming imo.  Besides, it looks like Sanderson's streams are mostly discussing his writing, not actually writing.

Thing is, though, I haven't seen a single writing stream which convinced people to get into reading/writing.  Writing by nature just isn't that interactive or eye-catching.  (Granted, my sample size isn't huge, but when half the writers just glare at their monitor while silently typing, it doesn't take much extrapolation to see why things are the way they are.)  If I did streams, I probably wouldn't be writing rough drafts - I'd be editing, or interviewing others, or doing something interactive with chat.

Granted, if you're not doing it for the popularity then I'm not sure any of that matters.  If you just want to stream, stream your heart out.  (Just maybe not on Twitch.)