Re: Share your strong book opinions.

Edge Wrote:
I Wrote: you need at least more than two pages to be classified as a book...

I believe the general guideline from what I can find, is 50k words is a book. 20k to 49,999 is a Novella, anything below 20k is a short story.

A novel is about 206 pages.

A novella is between 86 pages to about 206. Weird, I know.

A book is like one word more than a Novella. 

Short story.

Is at most 82 pages, can be less.

I didn't define the size of pages. and they certainly don't have to be publication book size. one page could be as big as a football field...

Unpopular book opinion: while absurdly influential and unquestionably important, Lord of the Rings isn't that great by modern standards.  Much like so many other books, they're historically vital and foundational to so many other works but that doesn't mean they're the best thing out there and you shouldn't feel bad if you don't want to read them or if you read them and disliked them.  It's okay.  On a similar note, H.P. Lovecraft did some very cool and very groundbreaking stuff not only in creating a whole sub-genre of stories but in actively encouraging people to build on that and write, essentially, fanfiction... but the Lovecraft-inspired stuff is often much better than the original works.  And if you love the original Lovecraft stuff or The Hobbit or whatever that's cool, but let's not pretend it's a requirement to like them when there have been a lot of changes since those came out.

Graffiti Wrote: Female MCs can be just as good as male MCs. People who refuse to read a good story because the MC is a woman probably have masculinity issues they aren’t aware of. You hear more about men refusing to read something because the MC is a girl than you do women complaining about male MC. The entire imbalance is quite frankly kinda stupid.

That, and it might depend on the influence in their life. My mother is a very strong woman, you cannot pull anything over her eyes. She came up a very hard life, and well, that is inspirational for myself. Due to societal norms and whatnot, it might overlook how far a woman can go, and is willing to go. It really gets under my skin seeing this imbalance, it also gets under my skin when I see one stupidly developed. I grew up under a respectable and strong woman. She has her imperfections, and things she wants. However, it is what I can respect. 

L.J.Anders Wrote: As much as I love the fantasy genre, it is crippled by conventions and at the mercy of trends so much, that it doesn't take advantage of the fact of how versatile of a genre it is.

Also, I will never forgive the once uncharted lands that was modern day/contemporary fantasy turning to crap. I had to watch it be killed by vampires, werewolves, and secret magic societies. Then it was thoroughly beaten down with paranormal romance. Could've seen the rise of something interesting. Maybe something that crosses over with mystical realism. But did we get that, nope. Instead, it came to zombie blood sucking bad boys fighting against their fleabag foes and a magic girl standing in the middle of them.

Ahhh the YA stuff. I stopped reading anything modern-day supernatural fantasy because of this. Victorian horror, the goth/dark fantasies, and Eldritch gods has been my phase before...but why did they have to make it over saturated in the female romance section. Is it a monster kink? I do not understand.

ArDeeBurger Wrote:
sunandshadow Wrote: Surrealism is a hugely neglected and underappreciated genre, and has been since the 90s.  It's shameful that these days surrealism is practically considered a mere trope of the horror genre.

Surrealism is a trope of the horror genre, and you're right -- it is a bummer. I think every story ought to have a surreal moment in it at some point in time. Ray Bradbury is great at injecting surrealistic scenes into his stories, solely for the fact that they are so cool.

❤😸❤

Non-horror surreal novels, short stories, and poems/songs do exist.  Spill the Wine, for one example of a relatively well-known song.  Drug-experience songs like Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds can also be quite surreal.  J.G. Ballard's The Unlimited Dream Company is a surreal adventure that is weird but not really horror.  The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper is surreal fantasy or magic realism.

AdmiralStarNight Wrote: Do you have a book/writing/genre opinion you want to share but don’t feel like making an entire thread for? 

Get it off your chest here, or just debate whatever is already here. I want to see what little niggles people have that don’t have a place to be shared.

Here’s mine:

I feel aliens as enemies often cheapen space opera that have humans in them, especially when we are following human protagonists, the human military, etc. 

Aliens are, well, alien. Too easy for me to identify as Others, outsiders who don’t deserve my support. Even if the story tries to play the shades of gray card it’s still too easy for me to side with the humans because in an us vs them, I’m going with us unless the author makes to clear we are the bad guys from the start. 

I tend to prefer human vs human conflict, as it feels easier to paint the human enemy with shades of gray, and are less likely, to me, to look like they are wearing the same hat. I can imagine a human on the enemy’s homeworld doing the same thing as I am, an alien? Not so much.

Which is probably why aliens have worked best in stories like Starship Troopers or Ender's Game. 

In one, they're used as satire and hold a mirror up to humanity. They're so obviously revulting and yet we feel sorry for them and side with them in the end. 

In the other, they're so clearly the bad guys at first which is the reveal at the end that the humans are the secret assholes is so good. And it also leads into themes in the later parts of the book with that "otherness" being a central element. Which led to one of my favorite bits of writing with adult Ender in what I think was Xenocide where he flat out said that he'd commit genocide again if given the choice between human and alien, regardless of what was ethically correct. 

Ramingo Wrote: I'm only 1/4th of the way through Oathbringer and I hate Shallan. She is incredibly annoying and her chapters are far more boring than everybody else's.

I wish I could skip them, but then I'd be missing a big portion of the books.

Absolutely. 

Which is a real shame (no spoilers) what went on with Shallan in the 4th book. Sanderson was given a golden opportunity to redefine and decontextualize her entire character and really do something amazing. But then he didn't, because at the end of the day Sanderson has no teeth and will continue to be the book equivalent of a Marvel movie. 

StgBria Wrote: Which is a real shame (no spoilers) what went on with Shallan in the 4th book. Sanderson was given a golden opportunity to redefine and decontextualize her entire character and really do something amazing. But then he didn't, because at the end of the day Sanderson has no teeth and will continue to be the book equivalent of a Marvel movie.

Sanderson is one of my favorite authors, possibly my favorite living author, and I hate that I agree with you.  Not all the time - I think his writing goes back and forth, and on the good end it's amazing.  On the worse end it's still pretty good but it's popcorn good, vacation book good.  And book four of Stormlight very much dropped the ball in several important ways.  I'll keep reading, but I was pretty sad since the first two I thought were some of his best books.

I don't know why, but at this point of my online web serialized reading, I am convinced that I am just reading fanfictions. But instead of them being fanfic of a piece of media, it's just tropes. Just endless reiterations of tropes that I like and can't stop looking for them.

Like if its regressor apocalyptic...there are tens of those of varying degree of premises. If its villainess otome game, there is a literal library of that to become a genre unto itself (Isekai is already a genre, maybe it is one of its sub-genre or some sort). If orphan cultivator, there is that. Abandoned princes/princesses/dukes/nobles, there are also a number of them. Waking up to become something other than human, maybe specifically a dragon or a dungeon, there's a couple of those.

Right now, I want to read solid army buildings plot bunnies (which is like kingdom building but centered on wars...so basically soldiering). It's like jumping from one rabbit hole to the next, trying to look for those gems like the raging trash-fire fanfiction.net has become.

Its like lately, I choose my reading based solely on a very familiar, very specific, niche of a story premise. Just the premise. Not the genre, or the prose, or the character, or the world-building, but the possible promise that the same formula would be in the story...but executed just well enough that I get my trope fix.

It is kinda fun, lol.

I absolutely dislike "convenient" Isekai worlds. The ones that use magic to cover all things that the MC had in the main world. Is like our world with another skin, rather than an actual different world. If you're going to make a Fantasy World you should really make one, rather than having a magical toilette with mystical toilet paper rolls. The actual middle ages were craptastic and not many people go the extra mile of making their medieval fantasy worlds feel like it.

I don't mind if the knowledge is introduced by the MC, I just don't like Isekais that functionally are possibly better than the original world, instead of just being different. 

meteoraguy Wrote: I agree with the overall take on "convenient" isekai, but this is why the genre is called fantasy. It's not a history book.

Indeed, and even Fantasy writers might forget they are writing a Fantasy. Who gives a damn about the specific realism…I only care for the excitement. 🤨

I believe the only realism I can get behind is emotional. You can leave out the exact specifics of where the hell they did their business…

Edge Wrote:
meteoraguy Wrote: I agree with the overall take on "convenient" isekai, but this is why the genre is called fantasy. It's not a history book.

Indeed, and even Fantasy writers might forget they are writing a Fantasy. Who gives a damn about the specific realism…I only care for the excitement. 🤨

I believe the only realism I can get behind is emotional. You can leave out the exact specifics of where the hell they did their business…

Yeah, and it depends on the overall tone of the story. A whimsical tale can get away with less than realistic elements. And speaking of dark, gritty fantasy, people complain about all the doom and gloom in A Song of Ice and Fire, so you can't win for losing. I think there's room for both dark and whimsical fantasy, though.

meteoraguy Wrote: Yeah, and it depends on the overall tone of the story. A whimsical tale can get away with less than realistic elements. And speaking of dark, gritty fantasy, people complain about all the doom and gloom in A Song of Ice and Fire, so you can't win for losing. I think there's room for both dark and whimsical fantasy, though.

True, if the story calls for it, then by all means go for it. However, those ones I might avoid. Sometimes, it can get a bit too real, even for me. 😂

Also, I wonder what they didn’t get about Dark Fantasy? It ain’t supposed to be a cake walk of an experience. And you’re right, that is the great thing about Fantasy. You can blend it with anything. At the same time, I expect out of this world excitement…

1. I can no longer read magical academies. Somehow they are all the same.
2. Harem stories no longer work either, the MCs are not only incredibly sexist, discriminatory and rarely fall in love with a woman's personality than with her breasts. Women are often written in it without depth. There are exceptions, but you can count them on both hands.
3. Superheroes and heroes. That morality is so terribly tiresome. The heroes mostly have an IQ of toast and bend down for anything and everything.
4. Isekai where the MC (hero or not) kneels before a nobleman or glorifies the monarchy. It took us forever to stop being ruled by these inbred families. If I had to kneel before a king in another world, I would start singing the French national hyme and then explain to him that I had a great idea for a special ceremony for him.
5. Where we are with stupid MCs. And here I am not talking about a little stupid. It's so stupid that if the author didn't guide him, he'd run the whole story with his face against the mountain. I mean I get the concept. Stupid main characters can be extremely entertaining. You can easily throw them in anywhere, and being a bit dorky has its own charm. But then there are those who, if they weren't MC, would have died more times than any person who has ever died in this world.
6. Sexisists. Now a real rarity here on RR. But I can't read any more Japanese novels. In earnest. I didn't think it would ever bother me, but it just got tiring and boring.
7. World changer, so MC comes into the other world and the only thing he does is to beat his idea of morality and culture into people's heads everywhere and to change the world he thinks so great from fantasy to scifi fantasy and the world from which he came to bring. I don't mean everything is bad. But damn it, I'm not coming home to you and telling you how to live.
8. Gods who embody most of the values of monotheism. I prefer to orient myself towards pagan gods, Greek gods or even Egyptian ones. In ancient times, gods were not immortal either, nor was it impossible for people to become a god or to be seen as one or to be regarded as a demigod. But that's a matter of taste like much else I've written here.

Greetings from Germany 

Seelentrinker Wrote: 4. Isekai where the MC (hero or not) kneels before a nobleman or glorifies the monarchy. It took us forever to stop being ruled by these inbred families. If I had to kneel before a king in another world, I would start singing the French national hyme and then explain to him that I had a great idea for a special ceremony for him.

5. Where we are with stupid MCs. And here I am not talking about a little stupid. It's so stupid that if the author didn't guide him, he'd run the whole story with his face against the mountain. I mean I get the concept. Stupid main characters can be extremely entertaining. You can easily throw them in anywhere, and being a bit dorky has its own charm. But then there are those who, if they weren't MC, would have died more times than any person who has ever died in this world.

7. World changer, so MC comes into the other world and the only thing he does is to beat his idea of morality and culture into people's heads everywhere and to change the world he thinks so great from fantasy to scifi fantasy and the world from which he came to bring. I don't mean everything is bad. But damn it, I'm not coming home to you and telling you how to live.

Legitimately not trying to gotcha you here, but in a hypothetical scenario where a MC decided he was going to spit in the face of the ruling class and cause a revolution, that would probably involve all three of these points. Which aspects of it would annoy you the most? Is this just one of those "Well of course any idea can work if you execute it well" things?