Re: Share your strong book opinions.

Do you have a book/writing/genre opinion you want to share but don’t feel like making an entire thread for? 

Get it off your chest here, or just debate whatever is already here. I want to see what little niggles people have that don’t have a place to be shared.

Here’s mine:

I feel aliens as enemies often cheapen space opera that have humans in them, especially when we are following human protagonists, the human military, etc. 

Aliens are, well, alien. Too easy for me to identify as Others, outsiders who don’t deserve my support. Even if the story tries to play the shades of gray card it’s still too easy for me to side with the humans because in an us vs them, I’m going with us unless the author makes to clear we are the bad guys from the start. 

I tend to prefer human vs human conflict, as it feels easier to paint the human enemy with shades of gray, and are less likely, to me, to look like they are wearing the same hat. I can imagine a human on the enemy’s homeworld doing the same thing as I am, an alien? Not so much.

I strongly believe The Great Gatsby is, in fact, a great book and not some overrated whatever like everyone likes to say. Most "overrated classics" are just books that high school teachers improperly taught to bored teenagers who weren't ready for these stories, and Gatsby is chief among them with its nontraditional plot structure, unreliable narrator, and scathing condemnation of its own cast. It all goes over the heads of kids too young/not-well-read to really "get" it, as do a lot of other old books we read in school. 

Gods in fiction usually bore me if they aren't somehow on the psychadelic or incomprehensible/soulburning scale of things. Usually when I read an isekai and the MC gets displaced by a deity's mistake, if that deity is just some random human except not then I just pretend they're gods' secretary because god is busy. 

Which is actually pretty amusing sometimes. It's oddly refreshing to read about the immense wars waged by divine secretaries while I pretend their patrons are functional enough to preserve the world. 

444.EXE Wrote: I don't like magic academies, they look like copies of each other. They should all be banned as well, there is almost always a terrorist attack or liberal policy on the issue of students killing themselves. Not even MoL escapes this, but luckily the academy arc ends quickly.

Do you mean a liberal policy on students killing each other?  I'm not sure I've seen a suicide policy.

Thedude3445 Wrote: I strongly believe The Great Gatsby is, in fact, a great book and not some overrated whatever like everyone likes to say. Most "overrated classics" are just books that high school teachers improperly taught to bored teenagers who weren't ready for these stories, and Gatsby is chief among them with its nontraditional plot structure, unreliable narrator, and scathing condemnation of its own cast. It all goes over the heads of kids too young/not-well-read to really "get" it, as do a lot of other old books we read in school.

I'll bite.  What makes The Great Gatsby a great book? 

meteoraguy Wrote: Worm is overrated, and parahumans probably don't read much of anything else if they think it's the best work of fiction. Ever.

Okay I've heard of this, I've seen stories but I don't get what it is. What is Worm about to someone who has literally never heard. 

(Its apparently a genre? There's a whole section dedicated to it on the spacebattle forums and I still didn't get it after Google got the hell out of it)

AdmiralStarNight Wrote:
meteoraguy Wrote: Worm is overrated, and parahumans probably don't read much of anything else if they think it's the best work of fiction. Ever.

Okay I've heard of this, I've seen stories but I don't get what it is. What is Worm about to someone who has literally never heard. 

(Its apparently a genre? There's a whole section dedicated to it on the spacebattle forums and I still didn't get it after Google got the hell out of it)

It's a complete webserial.

ArDeeBurger Wrote: I prefer stories where space aliens do not look/act/talk/walk/eat like us. If we were to ever encounter creatures from another planet, I'm pretty sure they will be more like the heptapods from Story of Your Life/Arrival or the parasites from Who Goes There?/The Thing and less like Ewoks or Dr. Spock. 
😸

Since you spokenof that, the Frontline Series by Marko Kloos is hands down one of the best Military Sci-Fi works to date, and no one can tell me otherwise.

Also, go check it out, since you like aliens that aren't like us.

Fantasy is the greatest of all fiction genres, and the best books ever written are fantasy books of some form.

-Fantasy can fit all other genres inside itself. Whether you like action, adventure, drama, romance, horror, mystery, or even sci-fi, there's a version of that set in a fantasy world.

-It has a broad spectrum, from completely original worlds (Middle Earth, The Cosmere) to stories set in our world with mild fantasy elements (Kimi no Na was, Kokoro Connect.)

-For readers, secondary worlds have the potential to be more engaging and thought-provoking than stories set in our world—you have to learn the rules from scratch, so you can't just skate by on what you know. For writers, the act of worldbuilding is a skill that draws on every single aspect of their lives. Secondary worlds can teleport you into another place in a way that no other fiction can.

-The greatest stories evoke intense emotion in readers, and fantasy does this better than most. Even the most mundane scenes can evoke a sense of wonder, and the most intense scenes can scale things up to eleven, with fantastical elements serving as metaphors for human emotions and experiences that are too big to describe in any other way.

-Many "classic" writers off Western canon include fantasy elements in their stories. (Shakespeare, Mark Twain, George Orwell Charles Dickens, etc.) There's no dichotomy between fantasy and classics, or fantasy and literary fiction. You can have all three things in one story!

Graffiti Wrote: Female MCs can be just as good as male MCs. People who refuse to read a good story because the MC is a woman probably have masculinity issues they aren’t aware of. You hear more about men refusing to read something because the MC is a girl than you do women complaining about male MC. The entire imbalance is quite frankly kinda stupid.

I agree and feel the same about people who say "no books with LGBTQ characters". Someone's assumptions about what any book about women, or about cis straight people, is going to be about says more about that person than anything, and none of it is favourable.

Quote:I strongly believe The Great Gatsby is, in fact, a great book and not some overrated whatever like everyone likes to say.

I 100% agree. It's a fantastic book with beautiful prose. Sometimes classics are classics for a reason.

As far as unpopular writing opinions go, I think online editing tools like the Hemingway Editor and Grammarly are incredibly overused. They aren't bad, per se, but they're not a replacement for normal human editing, and you can't trust them to be perfect all the time.