Re: I'm constantly worried about how people will perceive my writing.

My story isn't too far along yet (only 4 chapters as of this writing), but I'm still constantly worried about how people will perceive my writing. When I read it and re-read it, I don't see anything wrong with it, and I'm perfectly content with what I've written. However, I'm always worried about what people think of it, if I'm doing anything wrong that I'm not noticing, or if I'm making atrocious grammar mistakes I'm not aware of (I am not a native english speaker). 

So yeah. I like my own writing, but I have no idea what readers think of it. I do believe I'm doing fine this early on when it comes to numbers (7 followers and 2 favourites!) but I haven't gotten any proper feedback on my story yet. All I have are 2 ratings that apparently even out to 4 stars. What to do?

I'm in a somewhat similar position (just started writing and posting here myself).
The difference is maybe that I don't feel as confident as you seem to be (referring to the ‘I don't see anything wrong with it, and I'm perfectly content with what I've written.' part).
Now, my numbers, though, aren't too shabby and if anything, that makes me feel like a fraud and I dread the first soul crushing review lol.
The thing that makes it bearable to me is the anonymity.
So yeah I can’t really say anything helpful in that regard but maybe it helps you to know there are others with similar complexes.
I think the best we can do is just keep on writing and trying to improve  DrakanSigh

Confidence is built on effort.  So you've re-read your chapter.  That means there probably won't be any glaring spelling mistakes.  What about professional writing techniques?  There are plenty of guides online, have you studied any of them?  

Reading your synopsis, I could tell you know how to spell the moment I saw that hyphen.  So you've got that down.  

I would say that I am a bit confused about the logic in the synopsis though.  Your protagonist is lacking a head and only has two white circles for eyes correct?  But the way you describe him it sounds like he's a normal human?  And it sounds like he hasn't developed powers yet, so I am wondering what's going on.  He clearly has an inhuman body, but he's described as a normal person without powers.  

Just noticed you flip-flop between tenses.  Try to stick to past-tense.  Just do the whole thing in past-tense. 

I’m a year in, and have restarted my first story a few months ago. Best I can say is it does get easier. First bad review or negative comments I got hit like a gut punch, but it gets easier to bear in my experience.

Something that helped me was to look at bad reviews and try to push the personal aside and go “okay do they have a point? What can I take from this and apply to myself?” because really I can always improve. Might help you, might not. 

Also, for every bad review or comment, you’ll get a few good ones that help keep motivation up. If you ever get down from the bad, try to keep the good in mind. Little self-help sounding but that’s what’s worked for me. 

Tinim Wrote: I'm in a somewhat similar position (just started writing and posting here myself).
The difference is maybe that I don't feel as confident as you seem to be (referring to the ‘I don't see anything wrong with it, and I'm perfectly content with what I've written.' part).
Now, my numbers, though, aren't too shabby and if anything, that makes me feel like a fraud and I dread the first soul crushing review lol.
The thing that makes it bearable to me is the anonymity.
So yeah I can’t really say anything helpful in that regard but maybe it helps you to know there are others with similar complexes.
I think the best we can do is just keep on writing and trying to improve  DrakanSigh

Yeah, I feel you. 

I've heard all sorts of advice but the most potent one is "just write". I think it's comforting to know other people feel this too, and I'm not alone.

DarkD Wrote: Confidence is built on effort.  So you've re-read your chapter.  That means there probably won't be any glaring spelling mistakes.  What about professional writing techniques?  There are plenty of guides online, have you studied any of them?  

Reading your synopsis, I could tell you know how to spell the moment I saw that hyphen.  So you've got that down.  

I would say that I am a bit confused about the logic in the synopsis though.  Your protagonist is lacking a head and only has two white circles for eyes correct?  But the way you describe him it sounds like he's a normal human?  And it sounds like he hasn't developed powers yet, so I am wondering what's going on.  He clearly has an inhuman body, but he's described as a normal person without powers.  

Just noticed you flip-flop between tenses.  Try to stick to past-tense.  Just do the whole thing in past-tense.

I've read plenty of online guides, don't worry. I don't know how much of it I absorbed into my writing, but hopefully it's enough.

In terms of the synopsis, I didn't much thought into it... I might change it later, or get someone to help me fix it. I see that it might be confusing for people.
The flip-flopping tenses are all present in the introduction chapter, so I'll try ironing that out. Thanks for telling me about that.

Havoc1021 Wrote: I’m a year in, and have restarted my first story a few months ago. Best I can say is it does get easier. First bad review or negative comments I got hit like a gut punch, but it gets easier to bear in my experience.

Something that helped me was to look at bad reviews and try to push the personal aside and go “okay do they have a point? What can I take from this and apply to myself?” because really I can always improve. Might help you, might not. 

Also, for every bad review or comment, you’ll get a few good ones that help keep motivation up. If you ever get down from the bad, try to keep the good in mind. Little self-help sounding but that’s what’s worked for me.

I do hope it gets easier! Your advice sounds good. Thanks.

That you like your own writing is the most important thing. Readers here do tend to be quiet. Also many readers wait until there's more than 4 chapters before checking out a story. So don't get discouraged. If you haven't already, add a note in your chapter notes letting readers know you're looking for feedback. You might also consider pursuing comment swaps to get feedback. Good luck.

If you'd consider self-help books, check out 'Adult children of emotionally immature parents'. It's done more for my artistic confidence than any book I've read on writing. If you're harsh on yourself for something you don't even see any errors with after proofreading, writing will always be heavy. 

I don't think writing should feel heavy. Tricky sometimes and sometimes you need preserverence over self-reflection, but remember it shouldn't be breaking you. It should be something you enjoy. 

Having confidence in your own work is one of the most essential things that you need when you show your work to other people. Enjoying and believing in my own work has kept me writing for so long, and it's what makes me ready to put my work out there now. Also, we are all growing and learning as writers. I know that some people can be harsh with opinions and feedback. But every day is a day to improve, not to be discouraged. And if you like the way that you write, you should embrace that. Everyone has their own unique writing style, and taking advantage of your style can be crucial. There are many rules to writing, but some of those rules can be (and often are) broken. Just be aware of what rules you're breaking and how breaking those rules add to your story or to your writing style. 

Yes, writing is an essential way to improve yourself, but reading is too. Read books and stories that inspire you to take guidance from. While other people's work can teach you a lot and can be good guides, keep in mind that you still have your own writing style. And if you like the way that you write, then you're probably doing it right. 

I've been writing for five, probably six years now. I can't stress how much there'll be people who'll find fault with every little thing they can find. You'll also find that at some point, you just need to have thick skin and not give a damn about every bad review (although that doesn't mean you're allowed to ignore good points.)
Ratings on their own don't tell the full story, so if you get them with no reviews, then don't think too much on it. Write as much as you can, then when you get enough feedback, sit down, look back, and start considering what you want to do next.

I suppose the issue is where in the tension is. Are you uncertain about your story or are you uncertain about your writing? The solution to both is practice. If you feel your current writing level is insufficient for what you want to write or wont do your story justice try writing a fan fiction, expound on a short story or legend and just write, displace the tension and have fun with what your doing. Stress is proportional to your investment so when you read a review or comment the is biting just filter of the constructive and forget the rest.

I've heard the advice that the best way to judge your own work is to leave it alone for a time until you can no longer see or remember your own intentions. It's not as helpful in a serialized format, but if you wait a while before proof-reading, you start to forget the bits that you'd previously automatically gloss over. I found that this really helps gauge how a newcomer would read your story.
All the best though :)

Well, welcome to the club!

I am constantly worrying about that, too. It is partly normal I guess. Your book is practically your cherished baby that you put out there in the harsh world.
So every negative comment or review is a bit of a sucker punch (Some people have thicker skin than others here. Now wouldn't I like to be an elephant sometimes.).

The unfortunate thing about all that worrying is that it hinders you. As one of my favourite authors once wrote in her blog: "Writing comes from a place of play." Constant worry extinguishes any playfulness you possess.

Try to keep writing and shove the negative thoughts aside with a vengeance. Tell yourself: If anyone doesn't like what you write - nobody forces him to read it.

Atzyn Wrote: My story isn't too far along yet (only 4 chapters as of this writing), but I'm still constantly worried about how people will perceive my writing. When I read it and re-read it, I don't see anything wrong with it, and I'm perfectly content with what I've written. However, I'm always worried about what people think of it, if I'm doing anything wrong that I'm not noticing, or if I'm making atrocious grammar mistakes I'm not aware of (I am not a native english speaker). 

So yeah. I like my own writing, but I have no idea what readers think of it. I do believe I'm doing fine this early on when it comes to numbers (7 followers and 2 favourites!) but I haven't gotten any proper feedback on my story yet. All I have are 2 ratings that apparently even out to 4 stars. What to do?

I think all of us in somewhat similar position, especially if it’s new to you. Like, I’ve always been interested in writing, but insecurities over my writing were constantly holding me back. Until I decide to “start” & let be to whatever supposed to happen. Now I got 8 views so far & happy that at least 8 people read it. I’ve saw it on Instagram recently, a man was saying: “Success is like pregnancy. Everyone congratulations you, but nobody know how many times you’ve been fucked for it”  DrakanThink