Re: You Lot Saw the Announcement?

I added this to the start of the net chapter to come up on each of mine:

You know that voting thing? Yeah. Don't fuss about it for mine - they'll never hit the front page, and I'm never going to ask you to vote. Love you all! That you're still here and reading is all that matters to me! <3

The solution I came to years ago regarding popularity contests and all the internal and external pressures that come with them: opt out.

Prysmcat Wrote: I added this to the start of the net chapter to come up on each of mine:

You know that voting thing? Yeah. Don't fuss about it for mine - they'll never hit the front page, and I'm never going to ask you to vote. Love you all! That you're still here and reading is all that matters to me! <3

The solution I came to years ago regarding popularity contests and all the internal and external pressures that come with them: opt out.

I just tell them not to feel obligated to do so. On Wattpad, there is a really low one, I have no clue how this passes. Though, there is a contest that requires people to pretty much beg others to vote for them to win. What I don’t get is, how that doesn’t violate the guidelines. Since it clearly states, voting should be something someone wants to do for liking the story, somewhere around there.

In the least, I have to give R.R credit for pushing out an announcement. 

I'm not surprised. I knew it was going to happen. I just didn't know what form the begging would take.

I mean, this what happens when a feature like this is brought into play. Personally, I'm not going to participate in as a writer.  It's not a feature I particularly like. One I never like seeing on a platform. The very reason why I refused to bother with Wattpad and why decided to ignore Figment.

I don't do popularity contests. 

L.J.Anders Wrote: I'm not surprised. I knew it was going to happen. I just didn't know what form the begging would take.

I mean, this what happens when a feature like this is brought into play. Personally, I'm not going to participate in as a writer.  It's not a feature I particularly like. One I never like seeing on a platform. The very reason why I refused to bother with Wattpad and why decided to ignore Figment.

I don't do popularity contests.

Yeah, and it also skews the quality of works presented in searches. Since if people are just voting since a person says so, it is tricking the algorithm. It can make finding books even harder than it already is.

I don't really see what's wrong with asking dedicated readers to vote. Sure, people are trying to overtly game the system by putting out chapters that just ask for votes right now, but you could argue just as much that people are "gaming the system" by tending to skew so much towards short, daily chapters that keeps them on the "latest updates" list on the front page. Asking readers to vote isn't going to "skew" the results much anyway; you're not going to magically get votes from people who don't already have their eyeballs on your work. It also seems a bit silly to be so peeved about it; RR seems to try to come up with a lot of metrics to try to get a dynamic cycle of stories on the front page, which is essentially free advertising for writers. Literally any metric you can come up with, though, it going to have some form of popularity contest element to it. 

I see no problems with asking people to comment, vote, rate, recommend, share, do promote you or support/engage with you in some way, just as I don't see a problem in opting out of it completely. It becomes a problem when the ask moves beyond a small author's note at the beginning or end and becomes obtrusive and/or spammy. I can't say I'm surprised people started making chapters just to ask people to vote and a lot of people lost some of the good will of their readers today. Actions have consequences.

CloverCloverClover Wrote: I don't really see what's wrong with asking dedicated readers to vote. Sure, people are trying to overtly game the system by putting out chapters that just ask for votes right now, but you could argue just as much that people are "gaming the system" by tending to skew so much towards short, daily chapters that keeps them on the "latest updates" list on the front page. Asking readers to vote isn't going to "skew" the results much anyway; you're not going to magically get votes from people who don't already have their eyeballs on your work. It also seems a bit silly to be so peeved about it; RR seems to try to come up with a lot of metrics to try to get a dynamic cycle of stories on the front page, which is essentially free advertising for writers. Literally any metric you can come up with, though, it going to have some form of popularity contest element to it.

If they want a dynamic cycle on the front page then they could just have a list of random RR stories that updates every hour (maybe with some qualification like 'has to have updated within the past 2 weeks' or 'has to have a minimum 3 star rating' if you specifically want active and/or a quality threshhold).

Derin_Edala Wrote:
CloverCloverClover Wrote: I don't really see what's wrong with asking dedicated readers to vote. Sure, people are trying to overtly game the system by putting out chapters that just ask for votes right now, but you could argue just as much that people are "gaming the system" by tending to skew so much towards short, daily chapters that keeps them on the "latest updates" list on the front page. Asking readers to vote isn't going to "skew" the results much anyway; you're not going to magically get votes from people who don't already have their eyeballs on your work. It also seems a bit silly to be so peeved about it; RR seems to try to come up with a lot of metrics to try to get a dynamic cycle of stories on the front page, which is essentially free advertising for writers. Literally any metric you can come up with, though, it going to have some form of popularity contest element to it.

If they want a dynamic cycle on the front page then they could just have a list of random RR stories that updates every hour (maybe with some qualification like 'has to have updated within the past 2 weeks' or 'has to have a minimum 3 star rating' if you specifically want active and/or a quality threshhold).

Isn't that what random is for? Of course the problem with those lists is that no one checks them. 

Derin_Edala Wrote:

Nobody would bother to check or click on that, because that's not a metric, it's just a random sampling. People want some measure of quality in the lists they look at, and some variation of "This is what other people are reading" combined with some weighted ratings, etc. is always going to be one of the better ways to do so. It's not a perfect measure by any means, but the only real alternative would be to have some impossibly large staff that reads through all the fictions here and curates them manually, which would in the end just open them up to accusations of favoritism.