Re: What happened to ¨the wandering inn¨ ?

Tomer Wrote: damm I dont remember what chapter I read last and they deleted it.....

8.23 was the last published chapter on royalroad. 
It was published there on  June 2, 2021, 3:04 a.m.  (my servers timezone)
At least thats the last notification I generated on my scraper that notifies me for updates on RLL. I guess I'll have to add their page to my bot to check for updates now :-)

I have noticed that in some popular fictions, Defiance of the fall, Chrysalis and He who Fights With Monsters, to be specific, there tend to be clusters of bad comments demanding more chapters or being asses just because they can, and keeping ths attitude over batches of chapters.
I find it pretty reasonable that some authors would simply go away to avoid the trouble, as there have been some stories dropped due to that
I think Shirtaloon has an assistant who is the one to actually post the chapters, so he is not even checking RR himself
Frankly, people on the internet will devolve into as much of assholes as they are allowed, so if there is not even a downvote, or negative reputation system, then thats the same as encouraging asshole behavior 
I calk this "the Nintendo approach," as they are very protective of their intellectual property, so they can regulate it, instead of exposing it to the "free advertising" of the internet
Better a small crowd you can regulate, than a big one you cant

Removing it from RR was probably for the best.
If RR sets limitations on stories, I'm not sure if the recent "Pisces" chapter would have been allowed on this site. That's the thing with going for "realistic fantasy", sometimes reality is horrifying.  

As for the quality of the content on RR...yeah, it's not that good. But all the other options out there
are just as bad, if not worse. 

For me, it seems like all the best web novels I've found, have coincidentally been posted on their own personal websites. And now The Wandering Inn has joined their ranks.

Originalmaarud Wrote: Removing it from RR was probably for the best.
If RR sets limitations on stories, I'm not sure if the recent "Pisces" chapter would have been allowed on this site. That's the thing with going for "realistic fantasy", sometimes reality is horrifying.  

As for the quality of the content on RR...yeah, it's not that good. But all the other options out there

For me, it seems like all the best web novels I've found, have coincidentally been posted on their own personal websites. And now The Wandering Inn has joined their ranks.
May we know the best novels you found? 

Originalmaarud Wrote: Removing it from RR was probably for the best.

I'm curious, what happened in the recent chapter that would have gotten it in trouble on RR? I admit I don't know much about what is allowed and what isn't, other than to avoid overt sexual stuff. 

@ CloverCloverClover

I could try to explain what it was about, but I wouldn't be able to do it justice. We readers have known for a while, that one of the core characters of the story has ended up enslaved, and this was the chapter that focused on him.

There's a saying among The Wandering Inn fans, that pirateAba(the author) can make something simple like Erin(the mc) having breakfast, more interesting then what most authors manages to make the climax of their stories. This is obviously an exaggeration, but there's a surprisingly big grain of truth to it.

So when aba writes a 45k word chapter about a beloved character that's been with the readers from season 1, finding himself in the worst situation of his life, you(the reader) is in for a rough and emotionally draining ride. 

@ Crop Harvester

"Worm", and "The Wandering Inn" are the two best ones in my opinion.
slightly behind them you have stuff like "A Practical Guide To Evil", and "The Gods Are Bastards."

and after them I would put stuff like Defiance Of The Fall. Series that are a lot of fun to read but not really great. These are the sort of stories I'm hoping to find when I visit RR.
But I did find The Wandering Inn here, so who knows, there might be more diamonds in the rough.

Super Wrote: On a related note it is annoying that there isn't a easy to find notice when a story you are following is deleted on Royal Road. I felt like I was being gaslighted when I couldn't find it on my lists.

i experience something similar whenever an author deletes a chapter, and it's the most recent chapter i've read; my follow list gets very confusing to me when it basically indicates i don't have a recently read chapter for that story.

xion03 Wrote: 8.23 was the last published chapter on royalroad. 
It was published there on  June 2, 2021, 3:04 a.m.  (my servers timezone)
At least thats the last notification I generated on my scraper that notifies me for updates on RLL. I guess I'll have to add their page to my bot to check for updates now :-)
Please tell me you at least use the RSS feed instead of the much heavier HTML page?
Originalmaarud Wrote: If RR sets limitations on stories, I'm not sure if the recent "Pisces" chapter would have been allowed on this site. That's the thing with going for "realistic fantasy", sometimes reality is horrifying.

We only really limit the amount of sexual content in a story, not much else.