Re: Favorites vs Follows?

meteoraguy Wrote: When you follow, it gets added to your Follow List. When you favorite, it gets added to your Favorites.

You can follow something you "like" that may not necessarily be your favorite. Or you may even hate it. Like Riverdale.

Ok but do they do different things? Like is the favorites list just a way to showcase what you’re reading while “following” alerts you to when a story is updated? Or is it just sort of an organization thing? I guess I’m just confused about the functionality between the two 😅

Ararara Wrote:
North Wrote: I use my follows for stories that I enjoy reading and want to read more, and favorites for stories I loved and would reread again, and thought they were awesome. Basically top-notch stories, or what I think of as top-notch.

Exactly. Usually I only Favourite a story when I'm done with it

Well, if I catch up to where it was at, and it keeps posting, I will favorite it, but still that's what I mostly do anyways

meteoraguy Wrote:
ArDeeBurger Wrote: Other people can see your Favorites. Other people cannot see your Follows. 
❤😸❤

That's very interesting. I did not know that!

I use other people's favourites to find new stories I might like. I adapted this to my own lists, so 'favourites' are stories that I would generally recommend other people read, regardless of genre preferences. 

Whereas I use 'follow' to just make sure I can check if a new chapter has come out. This also means I put a lot of hiatus stories in my follow list; whereas they are much rarer in my 'favourites' list, as I feel it has to be pretty good for me to still recommend something that is on hiatus.

I imagine each person has their own system though. Much like people have their own system to determine what warrants rep and what doesn't.

I apologize if the question seems stupid, but are Favorites and Follows representing different readers? Is it common for a reader of the former group to add the story to their follows too?

I am new to this site, and I couldn't find information regarding the statistics anywhere other than this thread. I'd be grateful if you can refer me to a guide for newbie royal-roaders or something... DrakanMelt

I don't remember seeing any guide on statistic here, but it can exist. I would look at guides by the community forum. There was thread somewhere - not in guides - not long ago where people compared stats of their books, but I can't find it at the moment and don't even remember where it was.

You can see stats of any fiction, if you go to the fictions page and click the stats "tab". It's right under blurb and closed by default. Most stories have much more follows than favourites, so I would say that people are more likely to follow your story than to favourite it. As for if they represent different readers - I would expect that most of favourite's are from people who already follow the story, but there might be those who just favourite it - I don't have any data backing this, but it is what I would expect. In the end it about how reader use these functions.

Noisz Wrote: I apologize if the question seems stupid, but are Favorites and Follows representing different readers? Is it common for a reader of the former group to add the story to their follows too?

I am new to this site, and I couldn't find information regarding the statistics anywhere other than this thread. I'd be grateful if you can refer me to a guide for newbie royal-roaders or something... DrakanMelt

I think it's normal to Follow a story you like and are reading, and then if you REALLY love it, you add it to your all-time Favourites. I, for example, follow 55 stories and have 10 favourites. I've seen similiar numbers for other readers too 

Artim Wrote: I don't remember seeing any guide on statistic here, but it can exist. I would look at guides by the community forum. There was thread somewhere - not in guides - not long ago where people compared stats of their books, but I can't find it at the moment and don't even remember where it was.

You can see stats of any fiction, if you go to the fictions page and click the stats "tab". It's right under blurb and closed by default. Most stories have much more follows than favourites, so I would say that people are more likely to follow your story than to favourite it. As for if they represent different readers - I would expect that most of favourite's are from people who already follow the story, but there might be those who just favourite it - I don't have any data backing this, but it is what I would expect. In the end it about how reader use these functions.

Ararara Wrote: I think it's normal to Follow a story you like and are reading, and then if you REALLY love it, you add it to your all-time Favourites. I, for example, follow 55 stories and have 10 favourites. I've seen similiar numbers for other readers too

Thank you for the information and answers. I will try searching for this thread.

I, too, noticed that most books have more followers than favorites. Combined with what I understood from this thread, a question arose.

According to logic, the former is more "perfunctory" while the latter gives off more "high-quality" vibes.  In this case, from the author's perspective, it is logical that favorites represent a narrower selection of their followers (only those who have strong feelings toward the story). Yet, according to this thread, there is not much of a functional difference between both categories. Therefore from a reader's perspective, Favorite outshines the Follow option when it comes to the same story. Then why would a reader keep the story in both Follows and Favorites? Won't simply transferring the story from Follows to Favorites be better for the reader?

Anyway, it would have been good to have some sort of official introduction of the meaning behind each option. Similar to the explanation behind gamelit and litrpg genres.
I just got curious. DrakanSigh 
PS: Now I feel stupid for this in-depth analysis regarding follows and favorites when I barely have any in both categories.   DrakanSigh

Noisz Wrote: Therefore from a reader's perspective, Favorite outshines the Follow option when it comes to the same story. Then why would a reader keep the story in both Follows and Favorites? Won't simply transferring the story from Follows to Favorites be better for the reader?

I keep stories in follow even if I favourite them. Partially because (no idea if it works this way) I think that I will help visibility of the story if I keep the follow. This is reason why I still follow even finished books. Then there are ongoing stories. If I favourite them, I will keep them in follow because follow list always shows if you are up to date with chapters. If i had it only in favourite, I would have to go to the fiction and manually check for new chapters. Follow list is much better for stories that you are reading and are ongoing than favourite, which is more like "hall of fame" for your favorite stories.

Artim Wrote:
Noisz Wrote: Therefore from a reader's perspective, Favorite outshines the Follow option when it comes to the same story. Then why would a reader keep the story in both Follows and Favorites? Won't simply transferring the story from Follows to Favorites be better for the reader?

I keep stories in follow even if I favourite them. Partially because (no idea if it works this way) I think that I will help visibility of the story if I keep the follow. This is reason why I still follow even finished books. Then there are ongoing stories. If I favourite them, I will keep them in follow because follow list always shows if you are up to date with chapters. If i had it only in favourite, I would have to go to the fiction and manually check for new chapters. Follow list is much better for stories that you are reading and are ongoing than favourite, which is more like "hall of fame" for your favorite stories.

Thank you! This was the answer I was seeking. I still haven't read anything in royal-road and haven't experimented with the buttons yet. Now I see that they are not exactly the same when it comes to functions too.  DrakanThinking