Re: Need help with creating superheroes.

Stalker: Man who can only be seen through the edges of peripheral vision, he's completely invisible otherwise, even in cameras.

Triple Point: Able to turn himself and anything he touches into a liquid, a gas, or a solid, and then back again.

Diesel: Punk girl capable of controlling any machine that has a combustion engine.

Glitch: Turns back time 5 seconds, but only able to do so every 6 seconds.

Lazarus: Immortal. He ages normally, he can be injured like anyone else and doesn't heal any faster than a normal person, but when he dies he 'resets' to his state of being on his twenty-first birthday (incidentally, he had the flu at the time so when he revives he has that same flu he needs to get over every time) but he does retain all of his memories.

More anime reference materials: 
Law of Ueki
S.Cry.ed

If you look at how anime ranks a lot of the super powers (thinking of World Trigger and Irregular at Magic High School)...that might also help you with ways to "test" your superheroes and rank them.
Low tier usually = nice ability but severely limited in some way, or not a useful ability and has low battery life
Middle tier = useful to society, midrange battery life, not super noticeable but is great when put into a team
High tier = usually works alone, saves the day or is backup for when everything else falls to pieces, may have a super short battery life but may not...or sometimes is a teacher/instructor because they have PTSD or burnout from their younger superhero adventures.

Random ideas for super powers:
1) Can charge cell phones by touch / destroys cell phones by touch
2) Can sneakily "listen in" on any satellite or radio communications as desired, but only for 10 minutes
3) Can remember verbatim (and can quote and demonstrate) every cartoon show ever seen between the ages of 3 and 14. But is generally forgetful otherwise.
4) Can taste and name any kind of cheese in any kind of meal with 100% accuracy.
5) Can do any math problem accurately in their head
6) Always knows what time it is...in current location and the rest of the world
7) Able to adjust their hearing the way a person would adjust the volume on their headphones

As far as powers goes, that's a tough one. Remember that pretty much everything has been done. The best you can do is create interesting characters who wield the traditional set of superpowers in creative ways. One thing I'd heavily recommend is watching anime where the characters use their powers in battles that are more cerebral or creative in nature rather than the constant powering up that you see in Dragon Ball. One Piece and Yu Yu Hakusho are great examples. Think about an element and everything that that element can do. You character doesn't just turn into sand; he can literally suck out the moisture in his opponent's body until his opponent is a withered husk!

Another thing you can do is give your characters certain drawbacks while still keeping the traditional power set. Maybe your character can control fire, but only when in a rage? Maybe your character can fly, but only for a certain amount of time. The main character of my story will have that. Superstrength, speed, flight, eyebeams, and invulnerability (true invulnerability, as in able to survive even a black hole), but he can only use one power at a time for up to 5 minutes at a time before it shuts off and he has to wait for a cooldown period to expire before he can use another power.

More than anything, I just wanted to come on and scout out and sabotage my superhero fiction competition say hi to a fellow superhero fiction writer. Hi.

TienSwitch Wrote: As far as powers goes, that's a tough one. Remember that pretty much everything has been done. The best you can do is create interesting characters who wield the traditional set of superpowers in creative ways. One thing I'd heavily recommend is watching anime where the characters use their powers in battles that are more cerebral or creative in nature rather than the constant powering up that you see in Dragon Ball. One Piece and Yu Yu Hakusho are great examples. Think about an element and everything that that element can do. You character doesn't just turn into sand; he can literally suck out the moisture in his opponent's body until his opponent is a withered husk!

Another thing you can do is give your characters certain drawbacks while still keeping the traditional power set. Maybe your character can control fire, but only when in a rage? Maybe your character can fly, but only for a certain amount of time. The main character of my story will have that. Superstrength, speed, flight, eyebeams, and invulnerability (true invulnerability, as in able to survive even a black hole), but he can only use one power at a time for up to 5 minutes at a time before it shuts off and he has to wait for a cooldown period to expire before he can use another power.

More than anything, I just wanted to come on and scout out and sabotage my superhero fiction competition say hi to a fellow superhero fiction writer. Hi.

Those are some pretty good ideas. Hello, fellow superhero fiction writer and competitor. 

Atzyn Wrote: My story, ANTIMATTER D, is about superheroes. I'm planning on introducing a truckload of superheroes as the story goes on, but I don't have many ideas (so far I only have about 17). 

In the setting, heroes are professional workers and are given a rank depending on their performance as a hero and the strength of their powers. The ranks are as follows, from top to bottom:
  1. Platinum (I don't need any for this rank)
  2. Diamond
  3. Gold
  4. Ruby
  5. Silver
I really need help with coming up with heroes that have interesting, non-generic powers, especially for the middle tiers. Any ideas?

Controlling Friction is a great power. Being able to increase or reduce it in objects allows you to block attacks or help a character move faster.

Hydrocutting - High-Speed Hydrokinesis, like industrial water saws.

Microkinesis - Telekinesis limited to moving atoms or molecules. It could be devastating.

Osteokinesis - Control over bones, could be super gory and weird.

Single Sense Illusion - Illusions that can only affect one sense at a time, could be quite cool for a weak but astute trickster character.

This are the ones I can get from the top of my head.

One thing I would recommend is not giving everyone completely unique powers. It's slightly silly, but mostly too much work. Personal skill, personality etc would have an effect on their overall ranking.

Two powers that look the same may have totally different origins. Two 'fire throwers' for example can have one being able to 'excite' atoms, increasing their energy and thus heat. The other causes oxygen to react with other atoms at an accelerated rate. The first one can heat anything and has quite some utility (best chef ever). Unless the second one actually figures out what it is they're doing, they'll seem less powerful. However, they could also cause metals to rust, they can accelerate how your body uses oxygen etc etc.