Re: What is the strangest thing you have had to research for your writing?

Not particularly strange per se...

I went looking for 1600's eurpoean courtly dances. 
Every "season" that there would be dancing, you would get a pamphlet that detailed the dances that would be popular. 
It had the dance steps, the particular etiquette in greeting [expected personage], and maybe a list of songs by composer that would be played at said dance- and it probably eventually evolved into the programme du bal, or 'Dance Card', of the 1800's. 

Strangely, I haven't found any that survived. 
In fact, the only dances that survived the era I was researching were folk dances. 
Maybe I'm shitty at research. Could be. If I have a scene burning in my head that WILL NOT WAIT, I'll research for about an hour to ninety minutes, and then do my own thing. 
I ended up building my own dance from various bits I picked up from here and there. 

For me recently, I had to do some basic research on the chances of survival and how to treat... an arm getting blown off. Needless to say, the descriptions I got were not pretty. I did end up having a good idea on how to write it and make the character survive such a wound, but the research definitely left a weird taste in my mouth.

For a story I'm writing on an on-and-off basis (unpublished yet), I had to research on how to take care of a cat, as well as the vibe in a pet store. I have never had a pet before, and for me to write something about pets, meaning most of my story, although being realistic fiction, will be based on NONE of my life experiences. I'll be expecting more help from Google-sensei on possibly the most trivial questions that even y'all can probably answer. Strange I decided writing about pets was a good idea.

While researching one of my stories that never fully took off, I had to do copious amounts of research on the exact locations of my city's water and power infrastructure. I was planning to write a novel where an entire city gets whisked over to an alternate reality, and I needed to confirm whether or not it was feasible for the city to still have access to water and power. (As it turned out, power was a dead no, and water was a "sort of.")

My research took me to City Hall, whereupon my request was met with a "go wait over there and we'll call you when it's ready." So I waited a few minutes for the city hall liaison officer to ask me every invasive question possible to ensure I wasn't planning to commit a terrorist act against the city before I was finally gifted with a badly photocopied map of the city water system, and a website that I could see the power line infrastructure. 

Good times.

I wouldn't call this strange, but the response from the internet was certainly a surprising one.

In a book I'm writing called "The Longcross Mandate" a character kills themselves. It's not an actual suicide, as due to reasons within the world, people can't actually die. But they can suicide themselves, and return. It's kinda a bit messy to explain, but within the context of the story, it makes sense.

So, without thinking, I googled "Popular suicide methods". That was a stupid idea. Google obviously tracks these elements of their SEO, and bombared me with help lines, and support forums. Basically not providing me with any information at all.

I'm pretty sure to this day, my Google SEO is tailored to look out for me. Ready to throw a support line my way the second I put anything slightly sad into their search terms.

PeoSleep I'm sorry Google! I just wanted to write it correct. I'm okay. Really. No stop hugging me. I don't need support.

Nestor1079 Wrote: Not particularly strange per se...

I went looking for 1600's eurpoean courtly dances. 
Every "season" that there would be dancing, you would get a pamphlet that detailed the dances that would be popular. 
It had the dance steps, the particular etiquette in greeting [expected personage], and maybe a list of songs by composer that would be played at said dance- and it probably eventually evolved into the programme du bal, or 'Dance Card', of the 1800's. 

Strangely, I haven't found any that survived. 
In fact, the only dances that survived the era I was researching were folk dances. 
Maybe I'm shitty at research. Could be. If I have a scene burning in my head that WILL NOT WAIT, I'll research for about an hour to ninety minutes, and then do my own thing. 
I ended up building my own dance from various bits I picked up from here and there.

Oh, I love that?? Why is this no longer a thing? I would adore this

JeneClyde Wrote: First off, this thread in itself is a nice rabbit hole for weird webhole.

To answer the question; I watched a body get dissolved in lye. Lye often leaves merely bone fragments by the end of it. So it's an extremely effective way of discarding evidence and it's technically not illegal to buy, since Farmers use it on breaking down livestock corpses.

Oh horrifying but fun!!