Re: Fantasy Stories That Aren't Isekais or Have Game mechanics

Redchaos1 Wrote: Hey guys, so i am a big fantasy fan and i am asking if anyone can recommend me fantasy stories that aren't isekai or have game mechanics. I have been looking for some more traditional fantasy and it has been difficult to say the least.
That's tough to find in RR, since most seem to have game mechanics throne in like it's some kind of industry regulation, but I can recommend my story, Demesne, a straight high fantasy with no game mechanics. It's a settlement/kingdom building slice of life story, where the MC is NOT the usual charismatic people magnet such stories usually involve. The magic system has hard, Sanderson-esque rules, there's an emphasis on engineering in some parts, the setting is NOT the standard Tolkien rip-off Medieval european dwarfs and elves, and I'm told there banter is very good.

Mine is a classic fantasy, but I need more time give me two more weeks to built up a little backlog, I never want to go into hiatus again. It couldn't be helped though last year was hell. Anyway, I too want more classic fantasy books to read so thank you OP for making this topic.I like to go read a book when I'm feeling a little burnt out. :) I'm currently writing every day as I'm really slow at it... but learned the trick of TK :D so am going a little faster now. Now to go and check out all these juicy books. *Num-num!*

A practical guide to evil - high fantasy narrative(literally) driven story. One of the best web serials around. Follows a girl, Catherine, and her rise to power in a very complex world. Story focuses on her military campaings, some politics and 'whaf-ifs' tropes and story structures were a real power system.

Mother of Learning - epic fantasy time loop, follows Zorian who's stuck in said time loop and learns magic, learns about world's secrets and other shenanigans. It's been top 1 on RR for quite a while now and it trully deserves that place.

A journey of black and red - urban-ish/epic fantasy, follows a girl turned vampire and explores a kind-of unique and intricate 1700's world. Has forever been my favorite vampire story. Great characters and story arcs and the prose is a delight

Shadow Wrote:
Redchaos1 Wrote: Hey guys, so i am a big fantasy fan and i am asking if anyone can recommend me fantasy stories that aren't isekai or have game mechanics. I have been looking for some more traditional fantasy and it has been difficult to say the least.
That's tough to find in RR, since most seem to have game mechanics throne in like it's some kind of industry regulation, but I can recommend my story, Demesne, a straight high fantasy with no game mechanics. It's a settlement/kingdom building slice of life story, where the MC is NOT the usual charismatic people magnet such stories usually involve. The magic system has hard, Sanderson-esque rules, there's an emphasis on engineering in some parts, the setting is NOT the standard Tolkien rip-off Medieval european dwarfs and elves, and I'm told there banter is very good.

+second Demesne, absolutely great and interesting story! Great characters, unique world and really cool magic. Loved every chapter it releases. One of my main fears about it is that it might fall into the hiatus pit some really great story fall in, after a few months and serveral hundreds of pages of story.

The Extramundane Emancipation of Geela

It's fun, and the writing is pretty good, and there are spooky weird things in it. 10/10

The Courting of Life and Death

Macabre dark fantasy meets victorian lit. There's some morbid spots that feel like meta humor. Nice book so far.

Drinker of the Yew

This is my book. Make of my recommendation what you will! 

Well, of course I'm going to recommend my own story, Strange Frontier. It is 'technically' isekai, since the MC's are reincarnated in another world, but I feel like it's original enough to break away from common isekai tropes.

MC is reincarnated and given a quest to defeat the 'corruption' on another world where all humanity has been wiped out. Lots of wilderness survival, exploration, and mystery.

Hey there. Check out my The Trials of the Lion. This is classic pulpy fantasy written in the vein of Robert E. Howard with bold heroes, beastly monsters, and savage dangers. I don't shy away from violence when my heroes are pressed, so it does fit within the dark fantasy vein. I just posted the first complete adventure, and am beginning to update weekly with the second. If you begin now, you'll effectively be getting in on the ground floor. Blurb follows:

Quote:BEHOLD THE COMING OF THE LION! These stories chronicle the Age of the Lionborn, Ulrem the Slayer, the dragonbane, the Inheritor. Leaping forth from the cinders of a long-lost bronze age filled with monsters and mystery, Ulrem and his band of outlanders travel the wide world in search of adventure, wine, gold, and glory. Fans of grimdark and pulp fantasy will thrill to the cutthroat action and deadly creatures that fill the sword and sandals legends of The Trials of the Lion!

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/44789/the-trials-of-the-lion

A bit late to the party, so here's a shameless self-promotion:

My fiction, Ascension: The Coming Storm, is the first book I have planned out in a series. There are no game mechanics, magic works like this (summarized) people are born with a magic they can use based from genes but can become attuned to others if they have enough exposure to it. There are magic languages with varying powers based on the specific Ancient (a really old God) it comes from, it's got demons and monsters that I tried to be as original as I could or put a creative spin on. There aren't Elves or Dwarves, there are humans and human variants that have animalistic/monster-like qualities based off of which Ancient they originated from. I tried my best to make most things (especially demons) morally grey, you wouldn't blame a pack of wolves for killing someone for food so the same could be said for a pack of hellhounds in this book as they have a very similar thought process.
Not everyone's cup of tea obviously, but hey someone might enjoy it.

TeeMcTee Wrote: A bit late to the party, so here's a shameless self-promotion:

My fiction, Ascension: The Coming Storm, is the first book I have planned out in a series. There are no game mechanics, magic works like this (summarized) people are born with a magic they can use based from genes but can become attuned to others if they have enough exposure to it. There are magic languages with varying powers based on the specific Ancient (a really old God) it comes from, it's got demons and monsters that I tried to be as original as I could or put a creative spin on. There aren't Elves or Dwarves, there are humans and human variants that have animalistic/monster-like qualities based off of which Ancient they originated from. I tried my best to make most things (especially demons) morally grey, you wouldn't blame a pack of wolves for killing someone for food so the same could be said for a pack of hellhounds in this book as they have a very similar thought process.
Not everyone's cup of tea obviously, but hey someone might enjoy it

Sounds interesting to me

Awakening: Prodigy is a dark fantasy set in a post-apocalyptic future. Magic, demons, hunters are all prevailing themes. I do use the YA trope of a school setting, but my leads will be moving out of that setting after Prodigy. and focuses more on the military training portion of the school than it does with a day in the life of a student.

--- 
The Awakening changed the face of reality itself. A cataclysm of dimensional proportions, the event unleashed all manner of demonic beasts upon the world of man and left humanity's scattered survivors trapped in an endless battle for survival.
That's a battle Council Academy all-star Seth Wright learned the hard way, barely surviving his first encounter with demonic entities. Now aware of the peril mankind faces, he's desperate to learn what he must to defeat them - but the only person willing to help him is veteran demon hunter Astral Daamon, and only so she can pursue her own investigation into corruption within the walls of the Council Academy.
But what they uncover together is far more terrifying than mere conspiracy - challenging everything Seth thought he knew about fighting demons. Beneath the foundations of the academy itself, an ancient and malevolent evil is stirring from its slumber - and unless Seth is willing to sacrifice what he believes could protect humanity  from annihilation, this demon will rise and devour everyone he cares about.
Seth is being forced to weigh the lives of his classmates against the fate of humanity. When the moment comes, will he make the right decision?

Low dimensional game. Mc is diagnosed with cancer so he returned to his childhood home to wait for death and there he finds something that will turn him into a God. It has been a hot minute since I've read it but it didn't have game elements despite the name it was more a guy with God like powers using science and magic to create races and improve his body. It's completed at 446 chapters I really enjoyed it and hopefully you do to.

I'd say mine fits in the more traditional high-fantasy genre, but it also a bit satirical and has some quirky characters, if that's something you think you'd enjoy.